Page 1 of 2
I'm stuck between these two heads, can people give me pros and cons of both and which they like better? Also, which do you think would be louder? I know 1200 watts is loud, but I'm a total tube amp noob and have no idea how 300 watts of straight tube would compare. Thanks!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-SVT2-Pro-Series-Amp-Head?sku=481711

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-SVT4-PRO-Series-Bass-Head?sku=481710
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
what are you using it for?
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
300W Tube is about as loud as it gets (only Marshall makes a 400W tube head). I don't know what the conversion is (or even if there is one) between tube and transistor, but tubes are much louder. 300W tube and 1200W solid state can definitely hold their own. Personally, I'd go for the solid state. I don't like the way tubes behave (i.e. distort) and solid state is all-round more reliable and cheaper.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The main advanatge of the SVT4PRO is that you can set it up in stereo. With 4ohm cabs, you can get 490W into each cab. You can send the higher frequencies to one cab and apply affects, while sending the lower frequencies to another while keeping it clean.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
ok, SVT 4 it is. Thanks guys! I would be using it for metal anyway, and I love the sound of a clean bass. So Fitz, you're saying the SVT4 would distort less at higher volumes than the SVT2?
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Exactly. The whole thing about solid state is that it won't distort and will behave as long as your levels are all right. With a tube head, you'll be getting some of that 'grind' or 'grit' that Ampegs are known for, but personally, I want my sparkly clean tone at all times. If I want distortion, I'll stomp on something.

Again, I can't understand the value of the stereo outputs. Leaving the subwoofer clean but having some crazy effects on the top cab is great.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Ok, thanks for your help! It seems as if that's what I'll start my grass cutting endeavor saving for. Just one more question, can someone please explain the wattage rating on the Ampeg 8x10 classic cab? It says 800 RMS, but I don't get what they mean by 1600 program? I'd love my cab to be able to handle the full power of the SVT, just in case my brother decides to play with a few knobs like he's done before (or in case I feel like I need to play unusually loud). If the cab can only handle 800 watts, then I lose 1/3 of the available wattage of the head, so that's why I would like to know about the 1600 program thing. Thanks again!
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Program is the same thing as peak. The actual wattage of the cab is 800, but it can handle spikes until it's 'peak' at 1600. That is, the cab can temporarily go to 1600W without damaging, but always try to play it at 800W.

If I were you, I wouldn't do a mono bridge. I'd do stereo with 2 4-ohm cabs. You get 490W in each cab.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I disagree - real Ampegs are valve Ampegs. That's the Ampeg tone I hear in my head.
Quote by thefitz
Program is the same thing as peak. The actual wattage of the cab is 800, but it can handle spikes until it's 'peak' at 1600. That is, the cab can temporarily go to 1600W without damaging, but always try to play it at 800W.

If I were you, I wouldn't do a mono bridge. I'd do stereo with 2 4-ohm cabs. You get 490W in each cab.

You mean two 8 ohm cabs? If you do, then you're saying I should set the cab up to run as two 8 ohm cabs rather than one 8 ohm cab, and then run speaker cable from two of the outputs on the SVT 4 (one to each portion of the cab)?
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

man i gotta get with the times

ive never even used one of thes svt pro heads

im happy with my old skool SVT AV head i bought from a friend

old school tube head, sounds badass
Soul Collector of the BassMilitia PM Dinkydaisy

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

You should've used the Pythagorean Theorem, BITCH

BLALLALALASSISSIS *shank*
Quote by Your41Plague12
You mean two 8 ohm cabs? If you do, then you're saying I should set the cab up to run as two 8 ohm cabs rather than one 8 ohm cab, and then run speaker cable from two of the outputs on the SVT 4 (one to each portion of the cab)?

The power amp of an SVT4PRO runs in various stages. However, each side of the stereo signal has it's own power amp. The treble frequencies you set have their own power amp, and the bass frequencies have their own power amp. If you check the website, you see that the SVT4PRO pumps out 2x490W at 4Ohm. That means if you hook up 2 4-Ohm cabs in stereo, they'd get 490 each. If you hook up 2 2-ohm (or 4 4-ohm) cabs, you'd get 600W each.

For example, I want to get an SVT4PRO with the Classic 4x10 and the Classic 1x18. They are both 4 Ohm cabs that are 500W RMS/1000W peak. I want to run them in stereo. Since they are 4 Ohm cabs, the head will give them 490W each. If I ran them in mono, they'd be 2 ohms, which isn't recommended (rumour has it it puts out 1600W).

I hope that helped. If you don't want to run it in stereo, I'd suggest something like the SVT8PRO.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I think it helped a bit, I'd have to wait to look at one myself to see how to set it up this particular way. Well, it sounds like a pretty unanimous vote for the SVT-4 PRO over the SVT-2 PRO. Thanks!
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

i play the svt4, but i cant understand why you wouldnt want the tube amp? what kind of music are you playing?
I play Metal, but I love the sound of a clean bass, and I intend to keep it that way even at high volumes. From what I gathered, Tube Amps gather a bit of natural distortion, which is exactly what I don't want. And does anyone have a conversion from tube watts to solid state watts? I would love to know which amp can hit higher volumes. One more question. If the 8x10 claims to handle 800 watts, I assume they're referring to 800 solid state watts. I would like to know how many tube watts it can handle, whether it's less tube watts, or the same amount of tube watts (maybe the tubes use their power more economically). Thanks! EDIT: Thanks Sly!
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

The guy above your post outlined the conversion. But, for cabinet's sake, 300W solid state watts are the same as tube watts. It's all the same for the cab. The reason tubes are louder is because their harmonics are amplified better (apparently).

Also, tube amps can handle all 8, 4, and 2 Ohms at their full power. Solid state amps are VERY sensitive to their resistance.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 26, 2007,
Nice, so basically the cab will handle 800 watts of either solid state or tube. 300 watts of tube would definitely be loud enough for what I need, but I wish there was a place around here that had both so I could try them side by side. I hear that people really like the sound of a good tube amp, and I'm playing a ton of things ranging from metal to jazz to occasionally the little bit of rock. By the way, in the metal band my friend and I are starting, I need to easily be able to keep up with a Mesa Triple Rectifier. The tubes seem like a safer(yet more expensive alternative) in case I need to turn it up, because I can turn it up without fear of blowing a speaker. I'm still not sure though, so discuss away. Maybe we can turn this into a general Ampeg Amps thread.
EDIT: The SVT-2 supposedly puts out 300 watts at 2-4 ohms. The problem is, I don't know which one. I don't see how it could put out 300 watts at 4 ohms if it only does at two. I would really like it to put out 300 at 4 ohms though, just so I can get the most power out of my cab.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Last edited by Your41Plague12 at Mar 26, 2007,
The SVT2PRO puts out 300W at 4 AND 2 ohm, like I mentioned before. Keep in mind that the SVT4PRO does indeed have a tube preamp, just the power amp a) is in stereo, and b) is solid state.

I still say, get 2 4-ohm Ampeg cabs that handle 500W (i.e. 1 410 and 1 115), and run the thing in stereo! It should be more than enough! You'll be getting 980W total, which is more than enough to keep up. Plus, you can set up an amazing effects loop.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Plus, you can set up an amazing effects loop.

True stereo chorus/flanging ftw!
That's an interesting idea, maybe run some distortion to the lows, that would be great. There wouldn't be an end to the combinations with that thing. The main thing I'm concerned about is the natural distortion issue. I really value a nice clean bass tone, but does anyone have any idea at what point the tubes will start distorting the sound? If it's at the higher end of the spectrum (to the point where I would never need that much power) then I wouldn't have to worry too much.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Granted I've never owned a tube amp, from what I gather, you can start hearing hints of 'grime' and 'growl' with the volume set to 3 or 4. At 5-6, you will definitely start hearing some crunch, even if the gain is set low.

Keep in mind that I'm pretty sure the SVT2 and SVT4 have the exact same preamp, just the power amps are different. You'll get the same 'sound' per se from both, just the SVT4 will keep it cleaner. Solid state also has a faster attack and is brighter than tubes, which are much more mid-rangey.

And, if it matters, the SVT2 is twice the weight of the SVT4 (at least).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 26, 2007,
This really is a tough choice. Judging by the price of both though, it'll be a while.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Rob Trujillo uses an SVT2. Even his clean tone has some hair on it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I think the SVT-4 would be a better choice for what I need. Plus, it's lighter, and almost $400 cheaper. My Schecter should sound good through it, too.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

I vote for tube. Bass tube amps are... godly.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Well, I figured that with the proper rack setup (and a few little things here and there for the rack), my next bass rig should total to just under $3,000. Wish me luck for the next god-knows-how-long.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

how about you buy a ampeg tube amp, and ill trade you my svt-4 signed by mr. victor wooten himself.
Quote by Sly Taco
how about you buy a ampeg tube amp, and ill trade you my svt-4 signed by mr. victor wooten himself.

If you actually have that, that's AWESOME. Where did you meet Vic at?
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

LA Music where I plan on buying my setup has an autographed SVT4PRO by Vic when he did a clinic there. That's the only one they have in stock. If I do indeed get that one, I'm rubbing his autograph off, I can guarantee it. I may even replace it with my own.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Wow, someone's not a Vic fan I'm guessing? To be honest with you, I'm not a huge fan of his music either. I recognize that he has talent, but it's just not my thing.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

300 tube watts is equal to 1200 solid state watts. cuz like the fender pro 300 is a tube amp and it says its basically like the fender pro 1200 which is 1200 solid state watts
Quote by Your41Plague12
Wow, someone's not a Vic fan I'm guessing? To be honest with you, I'm not a huge fan of his music either. I recognize that he has talent, but it's just not my thing.

I don't like his playing, or him, but I really just don't want someone else's signature on my amp. It should be about my playing, not his.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Maybe sell it for like twice the retail value to some collector (or on ebay ) and buy yourself a regular one and have some cash to fork out on some more rackmount stuff, like a compressor or EQ. Just a thought.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

+1
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
yea, i dont care about his autograph, i got a good deal on it used. not really a big fan of his music either. hellofa player though
Yeah. This is the first thread I've ever seen with 3 non Wooten fans in it. This has to be a new record. I think I've made up my mind on the SVT-4 and an Ampeg PRO series 4x10HLF (this one)

Should sound really well. And if I ever do get it (hopefully I will), I will *NOT* experiment with sound clips until I know what I'm doing this time.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Page 1 of 2