Page 3 of 14
what does everyone think of Asia?

I really love emerson lake and palmer, ofcourse not as much as King Krimson, but for some reason i just can't get into asia.
...me neither.

but I love Moonchild! Epitaph is my favourite though.

and One More Red Nightmare has been implanted in my brain for the last 2 weeks.
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
what does everyone think of Asia?

I really love emerson lake and palmer, ofcourse not as much as King Krimson, but for some reason i just can't get into asia.

Some pretty great musicians in that band, but I haven't heard anything that interests me thus far.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
KC are probably my favourite band of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBxb5NZFzVU#

Epitaph live is godly.

Fav songs would be...Cadence and Cascade, Epitaph, 21st century...acutall all that album is bad ass...Same with Red. I take it back, there are too many great songs to choose from.

Love the insane piano on Cat Food as well
Cat Food is one very groovy song I listen too quite a bit. Cadence and Cascade also has some very nice very soothing guitar melodies. Two of my favourite songs off of 'Poseidon'.
Quote by Teeth2483
KC are probably my favourite band of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBxb5NZFzVU#

Epitaph live is godly.

Instrumentally it's cool (besides the slap bass), but Greg Lake is the only one in my mind to do the song justice
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Yeah, the voice is ehh. I do like the guitar tone, though.

Off topic... I don't really think there's such a thing as a "perfect album" but Lark's Tongues comes pretty darn close in my opinion. There's good riffing that you can actually hear, light ballads that are pretty interesting harmonically, more "ambient" sections, and fantastic buildups. Not to mention the final outro, which is one of the best I can think of.

Bit pointless, but I just had to let out how much I like it
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
got Larks' in the mail yesterday. as of right now, I love the whole thing. especially the title tracks and Easy Money. but they're all great.
Hey guys,

I have only heard King Crimson a couple of times before and I want to get into them. Any suggestions on what albums to buy? I love prog-rock and these guys seem to be highly touted.
'Fake liberty is just another form of hate,
Unring the bell before it's too late..."

-Warren Haynes, Gov't Mule
I don't think you can go wrong with anything from the beginning through Red, and Discipline is pretty good too (Discipline was the next album after Red).

So my suggestion is: start with In the Court of the Crimson King, their debut, and work your way forward chronologically.
I only have 3 songs, "I talk to the wind", "Epitaph", and "in the court of", and they are all beautiful, such lovley sound... it's the kind of thing that lets you almost imagine perfection. This thread has reminded me to get some more.

I don't really go for prog-wierness in lyrical terms however, but the music is good enough to make up for that.
Quote by Maet
Cat Food is one very groovy song I listen too quite a bit. Cadence and Cascade also has some very nice very soothing guitar melodies. Two of my favourite songs off of 'Poseidon'.

I agree 100% with litterally everything you just said. Cat Food is number two in plays on my iPod, second behind "Still.. You Turn Me On" by ELP. Two great songs.
^I wish I could listen to King Crimson on my iPod more often though. All the volume levels are really low, so I have to crank it to hear the nuances and details, not to mention sound leaks out of my open air headphones.
Quote by get-born
I agree 100% with litterally everything you just said. Cat Food is number two in plays on my iPod, second behind "Still.. You Turn Me On" by ELP. Two great songs.

I mentioned this before in a Emerson, Lake, and Plamer thread, but Still... You Turn Me On reminds me of Days Go By by Dirty Vegas.
King Crimson is one of my favorite bands ever. That's why when I saw this at some local record store I nearly shat my pants:

This is the first studio record that Robert Fripp appeared on. I don't know if I should even open the plastic wrap because this is such a seriously rare collector's item.
Ooh

If only you could upload it to your computer without removing the wrapping.
Quote by psychodelia
Ooh

If only you could upload it to your computer without removing the wrapping.

Give the techies and bootleggers about 20 minutes, and you'll probably have a way to do that.
does anyone have Lizard? I haven't heard much about it, but would love to pick it up. also Islands? how are those two?
I have Lizard. It's pretty trippy, with some really great tracks on it. I'd recommend it.
Quote by Supreme WarHawk
does anyone have Lizard? I haven't heard much about it, but would love to pick it up. also Islands? how are those two?

Both are good, and as psychodelia mentioned, Lizards is trippy.
I was meaning to listen to one of those two albums today, but felt compelled to listen to 'Red' instead. It's a surprisingly solid album, even it feels like 'In the Court of the Crimson King' to formula (Providence, the fourth of fifth track, being almost as ambient as Moon Child, again the fourth of fifth track).
yeah. I really need those two.

and wow. Larks' Tongues in Aspic pt. 1 is amazing. well both are. but part 1 is mind boggling.
1 more pwn, of 221 more posts.

Level 93 is risky thought. I'll have to pwn more than just n00bs if I hope to hit that level in the next couple of years. Mods, and stuff, you know?
Well once you hit level 90, it usually takes forever to move forward. The first 75 levels are cake.
Quote by AustinPrince13
Does anybody know what time signature "Elephant Talk" is in?

4/4. Whole way through, as far as I can remember.
Best progressive rock band of all time.

Robert Fripp is a pretty amazing guitarist, and I feel King Crimson have never gotten the attention they deserve.

21st Century Schizoid Man is a great song.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
I think my favorite King Crimson release is the Projekcts boxset. It just blows my mind every time I listen to it. It's hard to choose a favorite but I really like Projekct 4, ahhh it's so hard to choose. Does anyone else have this boxset or heard it? Definitely worth it.
Quote by hollow1928years
I think my favorite King Crimson release is the Projekcts boxset. It just blows my mind every time I listen to it. It's hard to choose a favorite but I really like Projekct 4, ahhh it's so hard to choose. Does anyone else have this boxset or heard it? Definitely worth it.

Mindblowing indeed. And yes it is hard to choose a favorite. I'd probably say Four or One, but my last.fm says it's the Masque album by Three. Whatever, it's all great

I like new King Crimson just as much as the old stuff tbh. I mean, it's been nearly 40 years since they've formed and they're still really pushing the enveloppe. The Power To Believe is a friggin beast of an album. I must have heard songs like Level Five and Elektrik a 100 times at least, and they still amaze me every time.
I've been a lover of 'In the Court of the Crimson King' ever since last summer, but I'd quite like to venture deeper into their back catalogue...

Any recommendations as to what my second King Crimson album should be?
If you were about to be trapped on a desert island and could only pick up one album before going, I'd say get Lark's Tongues in Aspic.

However, if you have the money and time to go through the 7 consecutive studio albums from "In the Wake of Poseidon" to "Discipline" I'd say buy them in order.
Quote by psychodelia
If you were about to be trapped on a desert island and could only pick up one album before going, I'd say get Lark's Tongues in Aspic.

However, if you have the money and time to go through the 7 consecutive studio albums from "In the Wake of Poseidon" to "Discipline" I'd say buy them in order.

Their later albums aren't really worth bothering with?
I wouldn't say that, but they're not for everyone and I'd certainly recommend you listen before buying. I do find their 2003 release "The Power to Believe" to be enjoyable, if not quite up to their earlier work. I can say that I heartily recommend every studio album from Poseidon to Discipline, with the possible exception of Islands, which I only sort of recommend.

Actually, I can't comment on THRAK (1995) either way, since that's the only studio work I have yet to hear it. Perhaps that's what I'll do this afternoon
Well, I've just ordered Larks' Tongues in Aspic from, so should be with me in a few days.

Thanks for the recommendation!
I play bass, and is it just me..or is Adrian Belew a reason to start playing guitar.

Fripp is probably a far better guitarist but Belew just has some va va voom, the way he plays his strat.. doesn't over play and ahh it's just so hard to explain he captures something.. like he captures what prog rock is, I know that sounds VERY corny but it's the only way I can describe it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?