Page 5 of 14
Unless you've got the money to get all of them, I suggest you get only "Wake of Poseidon" and "Red" next.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
I'm not really keen on the voice in King Crimson. I just think it's weak in songs like I Talk To The Wind, it's almost enough to put me off

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
Quote by Froddy
I'm not really keen on the voice in King Crimson. I just think it's weak in songs like I Talk To The Wind, it's almost enough to put me off

Good thing Lake only sang on two albums, then You should see if you like their stuff with Belew or Wetton a little more.

(Although, I don't see Lake as having a weak voice. He can't write lyrics, but it's not a bad voice, imo)

edit: Also, Lizards has Gordon Haskell and Jon Anderson (of Yes) singing, and Islands has Boz Burrell (later of Bad Company) singing.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia

edit: Also, Lizards has Gordon Haskell and Jon Anderson (of Yes) singing, and Islands has Boz Burrell (later of Bad Company) singing.
O RLY? I'ma have to give King Crimson another listen. I haven't heard enough to decide whether or not I like them.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
^ WTF? oh...well ya. he sings on the title track of Lizard for a bit. does a great job. and I'd go chronologically if i just got into crimson...

AND how does Lake have a weak voice??? Epitaph??? maybe my favorite vocal of all time.
Saw them live on the discipline tour...they played identical to the album....incredible. Belew is the most under rated guitarist, songwriter, singer. Bruford is king of drummers, fripp is fripp, levin is my favorate bassist and his stick playing is awesome. Wish they would hook up for a tour again. A real superband that was not commercial.
Dude, Greg Lake has the voice of an angel. He's one of the best vocalists, in my opinion
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by therussian
Unless you've got the money to get all of them, I suggest you get only "Wake of Poseidon" and "Red" next.

Cheers.
Listening to "Lark's Tongues in Aspic (Pt. 1)."

It's so intense.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
if you really want to go indepth on this band (especially the wetton/bruford era) and don't mind digging a little deep into the pocket, pick up the Great Deciever 4 disc set on live material from 73/74. All the songs from the albums sound really good, but the real highlight is the many improvs that are spread throughout. they really go far out there with them, and further impressed me with their musicianship.
Quote by streetcarp19
if you really want to go indepth on this band (especially the wetton/bruford era) and don't mind digging a little deep into the pocket, pick up the Great Deciever 4 disc set on live material from 73/74. All the songs from the albums sound really good, but the real highlight is the many improvs that are spread throughout. they really go far out there with them, and further impressed me with their musicianship.

Plus, a lot of the stuff was recorded in Providence
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
that's true...that song, simply from its title, has to be one of your favorites, no?
Quote by streetcarp19
that's true...that song, simply from its title, has to be one of your favorites, no?

I didn't put two and two together for a few years, but yeah... it's great.

Plus, I was in an improv group last year, and I thought it was a great example for them to look at of a band building up a very loose form into more structured improv.
Quote by streetcarp19

The Wetton/Bruford era is my favorite (Red being one of my favorite albums). I'll look into the Great Deceiver.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
I've been listening to lots of KC recently, and I'm starting to really get into them.

Will be begging, borrowing and stealing as many albums as I can get my paws on over the course of the week!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I've been listening to lots of KC recently, and I'm starting to really get into them.

Will be begging, borrowing and stealing as many albums as I can get my paws on over the course of the week!

Yes, I'm not the only KC fan from the punk forum.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I've been listening to KC for awhile now, never posted here before though.

But, I just found 'In The Court of Crimson King' on Vinyl in my basement!

IT SO AWESOME.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
What?!?!? I hate you. I want it I want it I want it I want it.
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by LiquidCheese
sweet. which ones do you have?

The the moment, only 'In the Court' and 'Red', which I got over the summer.

I've been watching a lot of youtube!
ya theres this one awesome jam that they do that I saw on youtube...but i just looked for it and couldn't find it. it was from 1974 i think...and it was sweet.

and I recommend getting everything in between those 2 albums first. and going chronologically wouldn't be a bad idea.
I think my favorite Elephant Talk vid on Youtube got taken down
Agh! I saw Court of the Crimson King vinyl for $7 but didn't have enough to buy it! Damn! I'm going to try and beg someone to loan me some money, and quickly too. I don't think it will be around much longer.

Edit: Got it!
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
Last edited by therussian at Nov 21, 2008,
Quote by LiquidCheese
and I recommend getting everything in between those 2 albums first. and going chronologically wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yeah, that was my thinking.
King Crimson's Red album is definetely on the top ten albums of all time. Robert Fripp became one of my favorite guitar players becasue of the work he did in this band. I love King Crimson. Great band they are.
I have a guitar, a brain, but no where to go..
Quote by guitarjunkie92
King Crimson's Red album is definetely on the top ten albums of all time. Robert Fripp became one of my favorite guitar players becasue of the work he did in this band. I love King Crimson. Great band they are.

Yes, I like Discipline alot too. Belew, Bruford, Levin, Fripp....how could it not be good? I saw them live, one of the best concerts I have ever seen.
I just got Discipline.

'Elephant Talk' is funny, because it has silly vocals over warped disco music.

Annoyingly, I'm not enjoying KC very much, because I'm forcing myself to listen to them. If I could listen to the stuff at my own leisure, I'd like it more.
Starless and Bible Black is their best album
-worst set-up ever-
Epiphone Les paul special two
Crate GTD15
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Danelectro D-2 Fab Overdrive
[Ernie ball super slinkys .8]
I let my mom borrow my copy of "In the Court of the Crimson King," and it got her hooked.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
I let my mom borrow my copy of "In the Court of the Crimson King," and it got her hooked.

Nice. I burned my friend In The Court, Larks' Tongues, and Starless a couple months back and they've since become one of hs top 5 favorite bands. It's great to see that their music has stood the test of time so well.
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgPgTW-qmXQ

thats my favourite one atleast, i dont see how anyone could disagree. Perfect.

I wonder if Mr. Claypool was a fan of Tony Levins?
Last edited by TheHeartbreaker at Dec 4, 2008,
I love love love King Crimson, Thanks for dedicating a thread to them! My Favorite Albums are Red, In the court, Lizard, Lark's Tongues, and Discipline, In the wake of Poseidon, Starless and Bible Black,
I keep hearing about this band and they seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. Only problem is I'm not sure where to start with them. Suggestions for a newbie listener anyone?
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by Rust_in_Peace34
I keep hearing about this band and they seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. Only problem is I'm not sure where to start with them. Suggestions for a newbie listener anyone?

Court, Larks', or Red.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Larks' is a bit too dense for someone new to KC. Court, Red, or Poseidon are good starters.
^Thanks
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by Maet
Larks' is a bit too dense for someone new to KC. Court, Red, or Poseidon are good starters.

Lark's was my second (after Court) I got into it pretty fast. But then again, if they're not into jazz, they probably wouldn't like it at first.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse