Page 1 of 4
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Hello again UGers! This is my second installment of my Valve Junior Head mods. Many of you have seen my first one which I basically made the amp into a beast of a Single Ended tube amp.

Well I got an order for one (yes I sell em). The person asked for the following mods: Marshall Mods, New Output Transformer, Line Out, L-Pad Attenuator, Negative FeedBack Switch, Gain Switch, and Master Volume. I recieved the head yesterday and did most of the mods today. Im waiting for the L-Pad and Output Transformer to do them. This amp turned out great so far! Its a little Marshall tone monster when cranked!!!

Heres some stock, then modded pictures:

Kerry
Last edited by call1800ksmyazz at May 18, 2007,
XxAlexi6661xX
learn To Swim...
276 IQ
thats so sick. how much are you running to do that
?
Gear...

Schecter Synyster Gates Custom
Marshall amp, crate powerblock, 2 peavy cabs
( W/ Vintage 30's)

VOX wah, Ibanez flanger,
Danelectro echo, R.a.t. Distortion,
Monster cable.
evening_crow
Live: from Japan!!!
1,611 IQ
SWEET man!!! how'd you learn how to do all that?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
Hi!!! I'm Bob.
(")_(")

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

Founder of the "I ♥ Fire" Club PM me to join.
Gen. Crow of the Pizza Bite Army
Me. Naked.

WARNING: I kill threads.
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
That's awesome, do you have any sound clips of it or any others you've modded?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
dave293
‪‪‪
480 IQ
Is it just the photo or do the knobs not line up? It would be cool if you put an arrow around the master as well, make it look more professional.

Clips would be cool.
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
The knobs line up. Its just that I didnt have an extra (its on order right now) so I just put one on without screwing it tight for the pics lol.

I have sound clips of the first one which you can hear by going to the page in my sig. Clips for this will come sometime soon.
dave293
‪‪‪
480 IQ
Cool.

I got an email from Indyguitarist advertising your ebook, good to see that worked out.
batman123
790 IQ
thats awesome, and yo kerry, what do you have to mod for it to get more wattage, well not nessacarily wattage, but just more output without really distorting the sound? A transformer or something?? Sorry for the really dumb sounding question.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
andrew7667
Pie.
240 IQ
It wouldn't be difficult. Just change the switch with a 1/4" jack and hook up a foot switch. A foot switch is pretty much just an SPST on a patch cable.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
rafarquhar
771 IQ
I want to mod my Valve Junior, but I'm too nervous, and my mom would freak out because it's relatively new.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
andrew7667
Pie.
240 IQ
I bought mine specifically for modding. There are some pretty glaring design flaws in the circuit. Tell her it'll extend the life of the tubes that are in it if you mess around with it. Plus, it'll give you a better sound so you'll be less likely to replace it later on.

I love mine now that I've done all the mods to it. I need to mess with the distortion characteristics as I find them a bit fizzy, but I'm not too worried about it.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
andrew7667
Pie.
240 IQ
Kerry, your site is down btw.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
^-Thanks. I know its down. Its changing host/server. Hopefully it will be up next week or so. Im being hosted by Gabe (Gabel) and Affe so yea, their nice enough to host it for me.
d4v1d5hu13r
Banned
362 IQ
Do you have a website link that will teach me how to mod amps? I am very interested in modding mine to get more options out of it...please?
sempri_fi
Banned
1,001 IQ
all that and no standby switch?

i added one
works great
saves expensive tubes from plate pitting death
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Well I add a resistor on the power tube to protect it and save its life. Plus, this amp barely uses any tubes (2, or in my case 3) so it wouldnt be too expensive to replace.
sempri_fi
Banned
1,001 IQ
well
at 40 bucks a tube i would say its worth it
buy i use nos stuff
i suppose if you were using russian tubes it woulnt be so much

but seriously, its just a 250v 3A switch, interupting the red wire, easy mod, and you're still safe, because there's no way that switch will ever see 3 amperes, nothing over like
1.3 (i think)
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Well yea, but I only use $10 tubes and it sounds GREAT! JJs are cheap and great sounding. My first VJ came with a Sovtek 12AX7 but the one I am posting about in here came with a "China 12AX7B" which I heard compares to the new Tung-Sol 12AX7s. Very strange that they just put that one in here for some reason.
andrew7667
Pie.
240 IQ
I just picked up a Mullard 12ax7 for $10. It was used, but preamp tubes last long enough that it shouldn't matter. I'll need to swap them around (I bought some other NOS tubes) to see which ones I like the best. The JJ's I have it in are too dark for my tastes.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
sempri_fi
Banned
1,001 IQ
yea
i dont like jj's really

i do like old rca stuff though, like the old blackplate verity, and i use a 12au7s too, it gives it a better sound for what i play, i havent dropped a power tube in it yet, running a little low on the greenbacks these days, and there's some things going down right now
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
Hey Kerry, I was considering modding my VJ combo to add the 8ohm speaker out, but I'm a noob to amp modding, can you give me a full set of instructions as to what I have to do? I'd really appreciate it
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
sempri_fi
Banned
1,001 IQ
Quote by MrCarrot
Hey Kerry, I was considering modding my VJ combo to add the 8ohm speaker out, but I'm a noob to amp modding, can you give me a full set of instructions as to what I have to do? I'd really appreciate it

thats an easy one, its like two solder joints, take the ground thats already on the jack, and the red 8ohm tap off the OT, and you're going to want to get an insulated (nylon) jack, you just solder the black ground wire to the 'ring' of the jack, and the red 8ohm OT tap to the 'tip' of the jack

now, it might not be red, im pretty sure it was red, but they did have a couple models of VJ's so im not sure if they've changed, but it might be labeled on the OT itself.
The_Clap
1,202 IQ
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Well yea, but I only use $10 tubes and it sounds GREAT! JJs are cheap and great sounding. My first VJ came with a Sovtek 12AX7 but the one I am posting about in here came with a "China 12AX7B" which I heard compares to the new Tung-Sol 12AX7s. Very strange that they just put that one in here for some reason.

mine came like that too with the chinese 12ax7
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
I'm soon to be changing my valves in the VJ. Do I need to discharge caps, take any precautions? Also how do I remove the covers for the two valves? I don't wanna break anything....Or get electrocuted :P
sempri_fi
Banned
1,001 IQ
Quote by MrCarrot
I'm soon to be changing my valves in the VJ. Do I need to discharge caps, take any precautions? Also how do I remove the covers for the two valves? I don't wanna break anything....Or get electrocuted :P

you dont need to discharge the filter caps, but you will need to remove the preamp tube shield and the power amp tube clamp, the shield twists off and the clamp is spring loaded. be careful to not bend the pins of your tubes, and save the old ones as spares for later
Immortal_Hero
635 IQ
What tubes are you changing them to? Just wondering as I have been thinking about changing mine.
llanafreak44
boom tah boom-boom tah
3,358 IQ
Quote by sempri_fi
you dont need to discharge the filter caps, but you will need to remove the preamp tube shield and the power amp tube clamp, the shield twists off and the clamp is spring loaded. be careful to not bend the pins of your tubes, and save the old ones as spares for later

i thought you should ALWAYs discharge caps, especially in tube amps
the_random_hero
UG's Fabricator
2,483 IQ
Quote by llanafreak44
i thought you should ALWAYs discharge caps, especially in tube amps

I think he was just talking about when changing tubes? I'm not quite sure now I think about it, although I do know that VJ's have bleeder resistors that should save you from a lethal shock. You are right about safety being a huge issue with tube amps though.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Immortal_Hero
635 IQ
Quote by the_random_hero
I think he was just talking about when changing tubes? I'm not quite sure now I think about it, although I do know that VJ's have bleeder resistors that should save you from a lethal shock. You are right about safety being a huge issue with tube amps though.

I don't see it being a problem since you are holding a glass tube. As long as you are careful I don't see how a problem coudl arise. I would guess they are not ment to be discharged as you can access the tubes w/o tearing down the amp.

But of course BE CAREFUL as there are lethal currents in there.
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Guys, hes only changing tubes. Nothing needs to be done but change them. No discharging or biasing is needed at all. The only problem that he could have is if he plays the amp and then goes to change the still burning hot tubes. The preamp tube gets hot, but the poweramp tube can burn you (I have done this and it freaking hurts).
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
Quote by Immortal_Hero
What tubes are you changing them to? Just wondering as I have been thinking about changing mine.
A Mullard ECC81 (12AT7) and a JJ EL84.
The_Marshall_Gu
official gear tech
349 IQ
Yeah, I was working on mine last night, took out the tubes so I wouldn't accidentally break them, and then got to modding it. I get the mods done, plug the head in, and turn it on. I waited for a bit for it to warm up, but it never did. At that point I realised i never put the tubes back in!. I turned it off, unplugged it, quickly plugged in my preamp tube, and then stupidly I went to put the poweramp tube back in place. The current jumped form the socket to the tube, and then to my hand. Shocked the shit outta me. Moral of the story is: Always discharge your caps, even if your in a hurry.
Like good folk/indie music? Check us out at www.myspace.com/mckenzieshae
ARRGH, MATEYS!! I Be a PIT PIRATE!! sworn enemy of the PIT NINJAS! I am the 30th pit pirate to sail under the great command of justinhawkins, MATEYS! (pm justinhawkins to join)
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
^ May that not've been just down to using it too soon after?

Lots of people are saying VJs have these bleeder resistors, which is good. When I get the new valves I'll power it down for a day or two then install them