Curious, I've only recently begun learning alternate picking, but I've been playing off and on for many years. At this point 145 is the max bpm at which I can play 16th notes cleanly. If you are interested, please post your max and the length of time you've been playing.

cheers!
I'm not sure about 16ths, but I know I can hit 16th note triplets at 120 bpm and I've been playing for just over 2 years I think.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Apr 18, 2007,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm not sure about 16ths, but I know I can hit 16th note triplets at 120 bpm and I've been playing for just over 2 years I think.

isn't 16th note triplets when you hit 6 notes per beat? if so, that's pretty fast, at 12 notes per second.
Yeah, something like that, I think I can get flight of the bumblebee up to about 160 bpm, but I'm not sure, I haven't measured myself on that, I suppose I should be able to go faster, but I don't really care about flight of the bumblebee anyway.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
16th triplets @ 120bpm is the same speed as 16th notes @ 180 .. which is very good!

As for me, I've been playing for a year and I can play 16th notes @ 90bpm
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Been playing about 3 1/2 years, im into metal, my bands last song main riff was about 190bpm, alternate/tremolo picked. then the breakdown was 175bpm downpicked, as for triplets on my drummers gcse music piece that im gonna play guitar on. the main riff is like just under 200bpm , cant wait!, ive been regularly practicing, down picking and tremolo picking i can get very fast now, when i first started i was crap, but 3 and a 1/2 years is a long time, i played so fast at my last gig, my picks were getting deformed on my strings and i thought i had some dust on my pickups, it turned out to be the dust from the picks grating on the strings
Don't take me too seriously.

Live Life
something around 1140 bpm
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
I think I can do 16ths at about 80bpm or so. Ive been playing for 2 and half years as well. So pretty much Im slow as hell, luckily im a blues and jazz guitarist, so i dont need to shred
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser
I think I can do 16ths at about 80bpm or so. Ive been playing for 2 and half years as well. So pretty much Im slow as hell, luckily im a blues and jazz guitarist, so i dont need to shred

I can play at around 90. But luckily I play the blues as well.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Blues Jr.
Quote by Tehzekester
55 - 4 1/2 months

Do I suck or is this normal? I play for like an hour or two a day.

I've been playing for nearly 3 months and I can play 55 pretty easy, the best that I've lasted some time on is 70 bpm, but I can't play that for a very long time before I get tangled up. I've been practicing pretty much, probably more hours/day than you so I think you're doing good.
Depends what I'm playing. Random improv? Really fast. Prolly like 16th notes at like 200+ BPM. I just have really fast picking. I've been playing like 2 years and 4 months

But playing anything with a real structure or anything to it, I can't play as fast. Speed isn't everything.
I can play a single note pretty darn fast, but I'm just starting learning to shred, so I can't go super fast shreding all over the place, although I'm not horible at it (not sure what speed, though)
Quote by Bullet4mySquier
What notes are you guys playing like 1234 down each string or what?

Nah, I use 3 note-per-string scalic patterns and sequence them.

Quote by justin_fraser
i dont need to shred

I don't need to shred, I can quit any time I want!

Quote by hurlyz
which is very good!

Meh, I'm still not satisfied, I can't sweep-pick very well and there isn't enough variety in my playing...and I want to be able to reach about 140 in triplets (Scarified FTW!)

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
16th 150bpm doing chromatics stuff.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
im not good with music like that so i dont really know what 16th notes sound like. i only recently started practicing scales and im doing 4 notes per beat at 136 i believe. not really that great.
^ 16th notes ARE 4 notes per beat
( on 4/4... duh )
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I don't need to shred, I can quit any time I want! :rolleye:

Oh I know man, Im just saying that it doesnt hold me back to much being a slower player. I wish I could shred no doubt, and Im working hard at getting faster, so only time will tell.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser
Oh I know man, Im just saying that it doesnt hold me back to much being a slower player. I wish I could shred no doubt, and Im working hard at getting faster, so only time will tell.

I completely understand dude, there's nothing quite like just jamming out some slow blues with a friend, and keep the faith: if you practice it, speed will come.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Just straight alternate picking a string, after I've warmed up and if it's a good day, I can hit about 220bpm with 16ths, roughly 14.5 notes per second. I can't keep it up for too long at all.

My fretting hand? Pitiful compared to picking. I struggle at about 160bpm with 16ths, but if I really focus I can play it cleanly if I know what I'm playing.

But putting them together? Maybe 130bpm with 16ths... I really, really need to work on getting it cleanly together, though I'm always tempted to just play legato all the time 'cause it's more fun.

Been playing a bit over two years.
highest i could get just now was 150bpm doing 12-13-14-15
straight open strings i cant keep track of but its a good bit faster