Page 2 of 11
looks preety good. keep it up and youl have a fantastic guitar.may i suggest a honey-burst paint job on it? it would look awsomme
Quote by lesclaypool101
just out of curiousity, how much is this going to cost overall? im really considering making a guitar over the summer, and was just wondering cost, and also if you encountered any problems or anything like that that maybe i should watch out for?

it's ending up costing more than I was hoping (probably about $700), but it's going to be a seven string, so that brings up the price of all the parts. If you're planning on a six string, then I can't really give you an idea of how much it'll cost, and it also depends on what type of parts you're putting into it. If you're planning on just building the body and buying a neck like I am, you can try to find a decent used neck either off the internet/ at a local guitar shop/ second hand store if you're worried about money. and no problems so far, but I'll keep the thread updated with how everything's going.
Quote by hahoomisham
looks preety good. keep it up and youl have a fantastic guitar.may i suggest a honey-burst paint job on it? it would look awsomme

I still haven't decided on what colour finish to put on it, but now you've given me another colour to consider. I'll probably start a thread with a poll for the colour of finish when I get closer to that step.
Quote by Eric 666
(personal opinion) dude before you go and put that awful bridge on to that, I think you should go tune-o-matic, It would add a touch of class to it and not make it look like a cheap guitar, in my personal opinion I think that a gold or even a chrome tune-o-matic would make or break this guitar.

sorry but i think the hardtails look cllassier, especially in black.
Looks really nice dude, I look forward to the finished product. I definately think some kind of black/dark blue finish would look good.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Quote by Metal_Rich
Looks really nice dude, I look forward to the finished product. I definately think some kind of black/dark blue finish would look good.

Thanks, and yeah, I'm leaning towards the dark blue finish, but still haven't completely made up my mind as there's a bunch of good colour schemes I could go with.

And now time for some more pics!
Lower side sanded to a smooth round edge:

Upper side cut roughly to an angle:

And where I left off today, both sides are rounded and pretty smooth, aside from a few inches at the back, I left them flat so it'll be easier to clamp a router template on
that thing is thicker than hell...you should thin up the maple top to a half or mebe quarter inch...less weight.and it will look like half ur guitar has a bound body...unless u paint teh sides and back dark red to hide it.... but it acually looks very impressive for a homeade. how do u make flamed maple anyway? carve grooves in the maple?
^ I'm probably going to make the top the trans whatever colour I chose, then have a burst to dark/black, with the back and sides black/ whatever dark colour I choose.
And the maple has the flame to it because of a growth defect in the tree, making the grain wavy, so even when the top is sanded completely smooth you can still see the flames or waves.
White with black hardware?

Or natural with black hardware?

Or that trans black does look very nice... Nice to see this is coming along very quickly. Have you ever considered the rustey cooley mod with the lower horn? release the inner shredder from within
Quote by james4
^ I'm probably going to make the top the trans whatever colour I chose, then have a burst to dark/black, with the back and sides black/ whatever dark colour I choose.
And the maple has the flame to it because of a growth defect in the tree, making the grain wavy, so even when the top is sanded completely smooth you can still see the flames or waves.

Dude! Trans blue burst *drool* I want!

Seriously, the blue from the first page is so sexy, I'd buy it and I'm a cheapskate...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by james4
Yeah I think it's because the trees get so huge and heavy, they start to compress the lower, older wood and it develops the flame figure.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
White with black hardware?

Or natural with black hardware?

Or that trans black does look very nice... Nice to see this is coming along very quickly. Have you ever considered the rustey cooley mod with the lower horn? release the inner shredder from within

probably not white with black, as the flame maple will need a transpaent colour, but natural is another of the many finishes I'm still considering.
As for the Rustey Cooley lower horn mod, I have no idea what it is... care to show some pics?
Quote by Ferdinandstrat
Looks VERY good.
I just hope that the lower horn is not as fragile as it looks.

Thanks, and the lower horn is pretty solid, I think just the angle the picture was taken from makes it look thin, although it's not all that huge, it's not super thin.
really like the shape, its beautiful actually, perfect imo.
Last edited by thesimo at May 19, 2007,
looking nice so far dude best of luck

I can't see why people are against that bridge and the humbuckers should be sweet! Finish wise its your choice, but I've always like the purple/black finish on that pic of the Viper that's been posted.

can I ask what color hardware you've actually ordered? and this is a slightly dumb question, but what type of neck your going for? dumb sounding question but you don't know if you don't ask right.

and to they guy that said about the Rusty Cooley(sp) sig yes minus the floyd but that's a personal thing.
Does the upper horn look that bulbousy in real life?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
its looking sexy
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by DR_SH
looking nice so far dude best of luck

I can't see why people are against that bridge and the humbuckers should be sweet! Finish wise its your choice, but I've always like the purple/black finish on that pic of the Viper that's been posted.

can I ask what color hardware you've actually ordered? and this is a slightly dumb question, but what type of neck your going for? dumb sounding question but you don't know if you don't ask right.

and to they guy that said about the Rusty Cooley(sp) sig yes minus the floyd but that's a personal thing.

Thanks, and I've ordered black hardware for it already. The neck is this one from warmoth, with maple back, ebony fretboard and no inlays.
Quote by godofshred
thats the angle of the picture will

most of it is the angle, but it does kind of bulb out in real life. I'm not too concerned about it, as it's really very noticable from certain angles, but I'm going to flatten it down a bit more tommorow.
hey do a laiho-caster, im gonna do that with my strat when I buy my RR3 (or V Blade)

i want something like this, but on a strat, and in your cas, in a 7 string, and you con put the black burs at the back and this as a small background:

GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
A rounded edge RG... Why didn't Ibanez do that from the beginning?

Keep up the good work
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
The body shape is reminding me of a standard RG but with all of the great smooth features associated with the S series

Keep it up, its looking fantastic.

Pity your in US, i'd get you to make me a custom 7 to my specs
thanks again for the compliments everyone.
unfortunately the days my woodshop teacher has been at meetings or I've been away made up more than half of last week, and no more of the parts aside from the tone zone have arrived yet, so I haven't been able to do a whole lot more work on it besides making the router template for the pickups and making the upper horn a bit skinnier. Tomorrow I should have the pickup cavities routed and hopefully I'll have a bit of extra time to finish off rounding the edge I left flat to clamp on the template.

and why do people keep thinking I live in the US? I'm from Canada!

...but either way I still wouldn't be able to make a 7-string for you, hmmm_de_humm... way to live across the ocean... [/sarcastic tone]
Last edited by james4 at Jun 3, 2007,
Quote by thesimo
how much would u charge for a guitar like this?

I really haven't thought about selling it, so I don't know...
Although I wouldn't get you're hopes up towards buying a custom seven string off me, I'm definately keeping this one for myself, and most likely won't have constant access to a decent woodshop until next school year unless I can use my dad's friend's shop that I've only been to a couple of times, or I buy the needed tools for making guitars, which I highly doubt I will be doing in the near future. I'd talk to someone on here who has more experiance and the right tools if you're seriously thinking of getting one custom made. or you could take a shot at building one yourself...

so to end my rambling, I don't know how much I would charge....
dude...good luck man...you really gt some talent there...and its looking good bro...its gonna be one heck of a guitar...good luck...
I've always thought about making my own guitar but always back away from the idea because I'm scared it won't be perfect in some way. Always concerned about the action - I have to have it very low and hate having high action. I was thinking about saving up some money and buying everything from Warmoth and just putting the guitar together myself. How much does Warmoth charge for shipping to Canada?

And just curious, what school do you go to in Brampton?
thats some snazzy building. very cool. i think if i tried it would break. cool idea though.
'O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
Quote by sam_S92
I've always thought about making my own guitar but always back away from the idea because I'm scared it won't be perfect in some way. Always concerned about the action - I have to have it very low and hate having high action. I was thinking about saving up some money and buying everything from Warmoth and just putting the guitar together myself. How much does Warmoth charge for shipping to Canada?

And just curious, what school do you go to in Brampton?

Shipping costs would be more expensive if you were to buy the body from warmoth as well, but you can call or send an email to warmoth and ask them for a quote.

and I go to North Park... why, where do you go?

Quote by MIKEFENDER
Nice guitar, im gona make a tele style this summer.

thanks,
If I get this finished and eventually start a new one I'll probably make a tele.

and I'll update the thread with some pics after dinner... I'm hungry...
Here's a few updates:

So far I've (nearly) finished rounding all the edges, including that bit that I had left flat for a while, and I've also made the pickup cavities. I made the pickup cavities shallower than needed for now, because I'd rather take more wood off later than fix taking too much off.

Unfortunately, while I was sanding and went to grab another grit of sandpaper, someone moved my project off the sanding table onto a bunch of tiny woodchips, and I stupidly ignored that it had been moved, and started to sand some more, to later find several little indents in the backside of the guitar....
They're pretty hard to see in the pictures, but that's mostly just because I've been using my phone to take all the pictures so far.
There's one dent in the back of the upper horn:

A group of smaller dents to the left of where the control cavity will be:

and another small group where the tummy cut is:

I'll probably just end up putting a bit of filler there, then painting the back a solid colour (with a burst on the frontside fading to the solid colour), or will it work if I just let the paint/ whatever finish I do fill the dents? they're not that big or anything, so I would assume I could do that, right?
Tomorrow's the last day of school, so I can't do any more work until I can use my Dad's friend's woodshop once I get the neck and other hardware, aside from any sanding that I can do at home.
thats pretty damn sick dude! I couldnt really see any of those tiny dents messing up the painting process, but thats just my hypothesis. To be safe, I would probably smack some filler in there though. Such a significant amount of filler couldnt do any harm. But if those pictures are with a phone, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT PHONE YOU HAVE! lol!
veryy nice phone! i have the w810i version

and nice job with the guitar...i cant wait to see it finished
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs