Page 4 of 11
Quote by monkeyboyjr
Looks really nice. Just read the whole thread. Good job dude. You should totally do a trans blue. Looks amazing. Hmm....I wonder...is it possible to do multi-colored trans finishes? >_>

Thanks.
Multi-coloured trans finishes are possible, that's how I would do a blue to black burst. Wht kind of multi-coloured colour scheme did you have in mind? I wouldn't really look forward to playing a seven string gay pride flag if that's what you were thinking....

and cool, I'm sigged
^ I'll look for any pics I haven't posted yet that I may have taken recently, but I can't promise I'll find anything...

edit: I found some more pics...
shallow pickup cavities with the drill press:

the horns lookin less bulbusy:

and one I don't even remember taking, with the bridge, neck and knobs laid out to see how it'll look:
Last edited by james4 at Sep 24, 2007,
Haha nice one! Are you using a normal router for the pickup cavities and the rest? Because i don't really know much about routers but from what i've seen those pics don't look like holes made with other routers. Im planning on building a guitar but i dont have a router and im not sure whether i'll be able to do the pickup cavities without one?
Quote by james4
Thanks.
Multi-coloured trans finishes are possible, that's how I would do a blue to black burst. Wht kind of multi-coloured colour scheme did you have in mind? I wouldn't really look forward to playing a seven string gay pride flag if that's what you were thinking....

and cool, I'm sigged

I wasn't thinking really a burst, but you saying that reminded me of a cool burst. Caribbean Burst. Yellow(middle of body) to green to blue. It was really sweet looking, but I was thinking more of like, trans blue with streaks(that go with the wood) of say red? Or maybe pink? Could be green....or purple....hmmm...the options are limitless.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
Last edited by monkeyboyjr at Sep 24, 2007,
Quote by 595escape!
Haha nice one! Are you using a normal router for the pickup cavities and the rest? Because i don't really know much about routers but from what i've seen those pics don't look like holes made with other routers. Im planning on building a guitar but i dont have a router and im not sure whether i'll be able to do the pickup cavities without one?

I used a drill press to make those holes, so that's why it doesn't look like it's made by a router.
But I'm pretty sure a router costs less than most drill presses...

Quote by monkeyboyjr
I wasn't thinking really a burst, but you saying that reminded me of a cool burst. Carribean Burst. Yellow(middle of body) to green to blue. It was really sweet looking, but I was thinking more of like, trans blue with streaks(that go with the wood) of say red? Or maybe pink? Could be green....or purple....hmmm...the options are limitless.

All those sound pretty cool, but I'm pretty set on a trans blue finish for this one.

Quote by ready2breakdown
man that thing has a million knobs, can you explain what kinda configuration you're going for and everything?

Knobs- bridge volume, bridge tone, neck vol., neck tone, master vol. (push/pull killswitch).
Switches- standard 3-way switch, small switches are: neck coil split, bridge coil split, in/out of phase, and series/paralell

It's pretty much jimmy page style wiring, but with separate switches instead of all push/pull pots, with an added master volume/killswitch.
Last edited by james4 at Sep 24, 2007,

That's sort-of like the Caribbean Burst I saw, exact the middle of the burst had a bit of yellow.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
that's pretty cool...

so... many... finish options...
man, it's gonna be hard to decide whether to stick with my original plan of trans blue, or go with something funky and multi-coloured like you're suggesting...
I'll probably still stick with blue, though.
Quote by monkeyboyjr

That is the sexyest thing I have ever seen. *fap fap fap*
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
this build is sooooo sick.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
this is awsome. hope it all works perfect for you. im about too embark on my own double neck project.
Quote by 1010011010
It looks so much like a Carvin.

I demand moar progress to be made!

yes indeed make moar progress!! for i am waiting!! joo need to hurry oop!
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

drilled some holes today!
here's the back, with the cavity sides smoothed out a bit

and from the top:

my other projects in woodshop are on hold while I wait for other parts, so hopefully all of my class time will be going into this. On the list for tomorrow is making the control cavity deeper (which I've already started a bit)
Man when i get around to making my guitar im just gunna make it a plain alpha white or something. Well its looking good right now, good luck with the rest
Awesome job dude. The sex of an RG meeting the sex of an S.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
Awesome job dude. The sex of an RG meeting the sex of an S.

oh yes. mmmmm.
this is a very very nice build, i havent commented on this for ages.
but james4, could you possibly PM me the dimensions for the 7 string pickup routes you've done? cheers.

great build !
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Sure, I'll get the measurements for you tomorrow at school. Although I think that the dimarzio website has the dimentions listed....

edit: nevermind, they don't have the dimentions listed on the site.
Last edited by james4 at Oct 23, 2007,
Give us moar!
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
That is freaking sweet! RG meets S, you should call it an RS!

You could call it an SG or something but I think it might by taken by someone?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^yeah, SG does sound kinda familiar, doesn't it? Can't put my finger on where I've heard it before, though...

And admbwr, I just measured the pickup cavities and they're just over 3 inches x 1.5 inches (as the pickups are 3 x 1.5 inches, the cavities are slightly bigger.). That's just measuring the main part of the cavity. With the space for the little 'tabs' or whatever they're called that the mounting screws go through included, it adds a half inch to each side. As for the depth, mine aren't as deep as I need them to be yet, so I can't really give you a good number of what they should be.
cheers, just what i needed .
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Hey, how did you get the edges so strait? where you are putting the pick-ups and bridge
Well unfortunately I haven't been able to work on it a whole lot lately, as my woodshop teacher wants me to work on the project I'm actually getting marked on (a box, oh how exciting )rather than work on what I want to work on, and for the last week and a half we've either had supply teachers or been stuck in the computer lab drawing our next project in autoCAD.
I did, however, make some progress in the time I've been able to work on it, I just didn't update the thread...
Control cavity almost done (it's done now, I just don't have any pictures of it...

Knobs and switches test-fitted to make sure the cavity's dep enough:

Cavity for the bridge pickup deep enough, and holes drilled for the strings:

Both pickup cavities deep enough:

Now I need to buy a long drill bit to connect the neck pickup's wire to the control cavity/to the bridge pickup.
Next on the list will be to route a lip on the control cavity to put a cover on it (I'm thinking about making one out of wood, rather than spend some time searching for a plastic one to fit the exact size I need)...
its going to look so badass.
did you decide on a colour yet?

i think a cherry/black burst would look amazing on this.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Make the cavity cover out of maple.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
This build is actually giving me lotsa GAS.

A 7 string RG, only designed to actually look classy, with a flame top? Awesome.

All that plus a shitload of knobs to do some wacky sounds? I may murder you in your sleep and steal this guitar. I am NOT joking. You'd best sleep with a gun...
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I'm doing a similar project in my engineering tech class with a dean ML

Except i'm making the entire file in Solidworks and am going to have the automatic mill thats connected to the network mill it out for me.

Thats right, I hate manual labor. TECHNOLOGY IS THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!

lol
Quote by danielrobbyshor
its going to look so badass.
did you decide on a colour yet?

i think a cherry/black burst would look amazing on this.

I'm really leaning towards a blue/black burst, but I'm still not ruling out a natural or black cherry/black burst at this point.
I'm thinking either a black cherry/black burst like this, except with flamed maple, rather than the quilt in the pic, or a blue/black burst like this (again, with flamed instead of quilted maple):

or even just a clear glossy sort of thing like this:

I think I'm set on the blue, though.

Quote by Absent Mind
Make the cavity cover out of maple.

Maybe a peice of flamed maple vener, dyed to match the body colour?

Quote by dead-fish
This build is actually giving me lotsa GAS.

A 7 string RG, only designed to actually look classy, with a flame top? Awesome.

All that plus a shitload of knobs to do some wacky sounds? I may murder you in your sleep and steal this guitar. I am NOT joking. You'd best sleep with a gun...

glad to hear you like it

...on another note,
*finds gun to hide under pillow*

Quote by Wampa_One
I'm doing a similar project in my engineering tech class with a dean ML

Except i'm making the entire file in Solidworks and am going to have the automatic mill thats connected to the network mill it out for me.

Thats right, I hate manual labor. TECHNOLOGY IS THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!

lol

I'd do that if my school would put more funds towards fixing the woodshop's automatic mill... It's been sitting there unused and broken for the whole 4 years I've been at my school...
Although I think I'd prefer the satisfaction of knowing you've made something with good 'ol manual labour over using technology.

...but I have to admit, that is pretty cool.
Quote by hotboxtheglobe
Looking good man.

thanks
i am looking forward to making one with all manual labor. But my class is more of an engineering class than a shop class. This way, my teacher actually wants me to work on it.

I'm probably gonna have a kickarse 1/3 scale model done next Tuesday.