Page 5 of 11
nah. I don't get it. My school is probably the richest one in our area, but we don't even have a woodshop!

WE do however, have a gas engine repair shop and a $20,000 3D printer that prints in ABS plastic

Not to mention not 1 but 2 automatic mills
Quote by james4
Maybe a peice of flamed maple vener, dyed to match the body colour?
Thats what I mean m8, get a bit of left over maple you used for the top, and either leave it natural with the natural mahogany back, or colour it the same as the top, on natural mahogany back, that could look pretty sweet.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Wampa_One
nah. I don't get it. My school is probably the richest one in our area, but we don't even have a woodshop!

WE do however, have a gas engine repair shop and a $20,000 3D printer that prints in ABS plastic

Not to mention not 1 but 2 automatic mills

tbh, its a lot about the skill..not the place you work in

the builds you see of mine are mostly done in a garage!
Quote by godofshred

defo. CNC is for lazy not very skilled people and guitar companies We have a CNC at both the schools i go to but i think they're only 2 dimensional. I might be wrong tho.

edit: when i say 2 dimensional i don't mean the schools are so poor they could only afford to draw the machines on the wall :p
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by godofshred

The thing is, I don't really have a garage. lol

I live in a condo and all I have to work with what's at my school.

I wish I lived in Canada.....
As far as updates go, I haven't done a whole lot lately. In the last week I've managed to glue some veneer together and cut it to the proper size for the control cavity cover. I don't have any pics right now, but I can get some by tomorrow if anyone wants them...

And does anyone know where I can buy a drill bit long enough to make a hole for the pickup's wire that'll reach from the neck pickup cavity to the bridge pickup cavity/the control cavity? Home depot is the only place I've looked so far, but I didn't see any there...

edit: I think I'm going to order the finishing supplies from LMII, they're the only place I could find that both ships to Canada and that I've heard good reccomendations towards. Will I be alright with one of each of the the blue and black dyes (clicky) they sell? The page says it makes 1 - 2 quarts with 1/2 oz. of dye, so that's enough to finish the entire body with a bit left over to use on the headstock/control cavity cover, correct? Or should I get an extra of each just to be sure I have enough to experiment with to get the right colour I want/ test it out on my offcuts of the flamed maple?
Also, will this water-based finishbe fine on top of the dyes I mentioned?
Any other reccomendations on places to buy, ect. are appreciated, as well.
Thanks for any help.
Last edited by james4 at Nov 18, 2007,
So progress so far:
made a control cavity cover out of some flamed maple veneer, made a lip in the cavity to fit the cover, drilled an output jack hole, did a bit of work on the upper horn (it was still a bit fat for my liking, so I fixed it up a bit), and unfortunately, drilled the holes for the string ferrules in a rush, and ended up very unhappy with the results( I'll explain more below the pics...)

anyways, here's some pics of the cover (notice the hand router in the first pic... that didn't make the job very easy...)

You can see it better in the second pic, but you'll probably notice that the holes for the ferrules are not very straight, not very well lined up, and unevenly spaced... I can live with it if they stay like that, but I'd like to drill/route out a oval-ish-rectangle shape over where the holes are right now, and fill it with some wood (I've got some bloodwood lying around, it'd be pretty cool if I were to paint the whole back black, and leave the bloodwood under a clear finish...), and re-do the holes. What are your thoughts on that?
A) Live with it, it's not worth trying to fix, or
B) Fix it up.

I'm off to work now, but I'll reply to comments/questions/whatever in the morning...

edit: wow, that second pic makes my thumb look really pink, fat and stubby....
keep them the way they are. i think they look good. it might even look better with the strings on it.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
The cavity looks sick, and from here i cant tell the holes are drilled incorrectly. If the guitar is going to be painted with a dark color on back, and the ferrules are black, you got nothing to worry about dude. It will blend right it. Looks superb, tell your teacher to shove it.
Quote by MichaelSpeer
im a bit of a perfectionist so i would go ahead and fix it but it depends on how much you care (and how much time you have)

I think I could probably live with it, although I'd like to fix it, and ATM, time's not really an issue, so I may as well go for it...
I guess what I'll do is cut a 3/4' thick peice of wood in a rectangular sort of shape that's big enough to cover the existing holes, drill the new holes in the rectangular peice, and see how it looks, then if I really like it, I'll drill or route out a 5/8' deep cavity in the back and fit the chunk with the new holes into it.
Quote by spoonylove90
keep them the way they are. i think they look good. it might even look better with the strings on it.

I guess it doesn't look all that bad, it's just that I know how much I rushed on it, and I know that it's off-center

...and I'm a bit of a perfectionist....
Anyways, like I said in my reply to MichaelSpeer, I'll probably do a test peice and see how it turns out before I actually cut anything out of my guitar.
Quote by dogismycopilot
The cavity looks sick, and from here i cant tell the holes are drilled incorrectly. If the guitar is going to be painted with a dark color on back, and the ferrules are black, you got nothing to worry about dude. It will blend right it. Looks superb, tell your teacher to shove it.

thanks
I don't have a picture to show it more obviously, but it's a bit more noticeable in real life. Like I said in reply to MichaelSpeer (and again to spoonylove...), I'll make a test peice first, but if the test one doesn't turn out much better, I'll just leave it how it is.
And it's actually me who's thinking of fixing it, not my teacher...
Last edited by james4 at Nov 23, 2007,
testing it out wouldnt be a bad idea. the only one thats gonna know is you(and all of us, but i dont judge) with a good finish and strings im sure its the last thing anyone will ever see. if its gonna eat away at you though, by all means fix it.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
Quote by james4

I guess what I'll do is cut a 3/4' thick peice of wood in a rectangular sort of shape that's big enough to cover the existing holes, drill the new holes in the rectangular peice, and see how it looks, then if I really like it, I'll drill or route out a 5/8' deep cavity in the back and fit the chunk with the new holes into it.

you may not want to but i suggest a clear gloss finish. i think redoing the string through holes just depends on the type of finish. it prolly wont look good with a clear.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Would it look too tacky if you do that cover plate that you are re-drilling the holes in, to be curly maple like the electronics cavity? I think it might give the back a little bit more, uniqueness. I was just thinking of how that could turn out to be a good thing?
^yeah, I was actually thinking of that, too. I could probably glue another strip of the flamed veneer to a larger chunk of wood, then cut out the size/drill the holes.
Although that brings up some questions: if I dye the control cover and string-through area the same blue as the top, (for the string-through area) would it be best to dye the maple before putting it in the back of the guitar, or after? It just seems like it'd be hard to get the dye on only the maple bit, and none on the surrounding mahogany if I were to glue it in before dying it.
Also, if I were to do a clear gloss finish on the back, I'm not sure how I would go about transitioning from the blue to black burst on the top... Unless I did a clear to black burst on the back, or if I could do just a blue top (no burst), then have the blue end halfway down the sides where the maple meets the mahogany, and go clear from there... I think the second one would be cool, but probably very hard to get the dye on only the maple, and none on the mahogany...

thoughts?
ideas?
something else?
I would dye it separately.

Dye the piece first, cut the spot in the wood. Paint the mahogany body black like you want it(taping off the cavity of the "string through" area) and then drop it in with some glue. The fact that you want the back to be gloss black can be achieved by doing a clearcoat over the whole thing, right? Meaning you want that entire area where that piece is being glued in to be perfectly flat as well as nice and shiny?
Well, I've been cutting a lot of practice peices for the 'string through part', and I've had some real good test peices, but today I just decided I'm going to leave it how it is, paint the back a solid black, and hope that off center black ferrules+ black paint = not visible to someone who doesn't know how off they are.
Next on the list is bringing the neck to school and making a router template.
you could just stain the back of it black ? or do a stripe in black orrr you could do some sort of logo over it, maybe a recessed metal plate but that'd need unscrewinmg every string change
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
^I was thinking about that today, actually. I'll probably just buy some extra black stain (I was going to order more than I needed just in case, anyway) and finish the whole black paint vs. black stain debate I'm having with myself when it comes time to finish. I'm not sure where I'd find a metal plate that would fit, though, so I was thinking maybe doing another flamed maple veneer cover like the one on the control cavity? Or do you think that would be too much flamed maple? I guess unscrewing the cover wouldn't be too much of a hassle if I needed to change strings. There's pretty much always a screwdriver lying aroung somewhere, or I could put one in my case (which brings up the question of what case I should get..... I'll try out the ibanez/ other brands made to fit an RG once it's done, probably...).

Today I made a router template for the neck pocket. Tomorrow I'll probably route about a million test neck pockets on scraps to be sure I get it right, then hopefully I can have the real neck pocket done by at least the end of the week (if my teacher doesn't start making me work on my actual woodshop project...). I'm going to order the finishing materials soon, too. I asked in an earlier post (and in a thread I made, but even quadruple posting couldn't get me a yay or nay on the products I chose...), about the blue and black dyes, and the water based lacquer-like finish, both from lmii. I mean, they should be fine, but I'd rather check to be sure they'll give me results I'll like...

Anyways, that was more of a jumble of thoughts than a reply/ decent update, but hopefully I got what I had to say across:
1 ) dye vs. paint on back
2 )cover/ something over ferrules
2 1/2 ) case?
3 ) I made a neck pocket template
4 ) finishing products = OK?
Today I routed out the neck pocket. It got delayed so much because my teacher was away, then he made me make a new router template (that I didn't even end up using...), then I did a whole bunch of practice ones to be sure it was right. Here's some pics with the neck resting in the pocket:

My friend's dad is going to make me a new neck back plate (whatever it's called... the plate that the neck mounting screws go through before they go through the body/neck), as I'm going to go with a wider (the one I got from warmoth is the width usually used on a 6-string neck), contoured one (with the holes offset for better upper fret access). I'm thinking maybe getting a sort of rectangular one with rounded corners (like thke a circle, cut it in half, and stick each half on either end of the rectangle.... that sort of shape) to put as a plate over the ferrules, as well.
subscribed, lookin great man. keep up the good work.

for the bridge, are you going straight through to the ferrules, or are you putting the hardtail on top of the ferrules?
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
He's doing a hardtail, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Subscribed, btw! Congrats on what you've done so far! I really look forward to seeing this build go through to the end
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I like the idea you have on your back plate. I have a pretty fat one on my 6-string JS, and a few times in the past it got annoying because i couldnt play as high up as i wanted because it upstructed my reach. It might be cool to route a cavity where that neck plate will go, so it sits flush with the body? Its something that sounds cool to me, and no one does i believe. Maybe that one company no one knows about. Anyways, its going great so far, and good move on the ferrules. I have to do that for my guitar now, and im kind of scared because the ferrules have to be flush with the back, and they have two steps to them. I asked a friend of my dads and he said use all the tools you can and try a test piece and see how accurate the drillpress is. I guess you used a drillpress, and if they are off by a lot i can always route that cavity and insert a block of wood.
I think Ibanez and LTD just use washers under the scres which are sunk into the body, so there aren't any back plates needed. They also use those badass all access neck joint, and shorter screws so they don't come up out of the fretboard. If you got the Warmoth Pro neck you might not be able to use such a neck joint, as the screw will hit the truss rod adjuster on the side. But I thought I'd stick that bit of info in xD

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Yeah, they use what I think are called screw ferrules, or something like that. I'm pretty much doing that, except with a plate that has the same hole pattern in it. And don't worry, the truss rod adjustment is on the back, not the side of the neck.
Sounds good. I got a chance to drill the holes for my ferrules, and they turned out pretty damn good if i do say so myself. I measured and remeasured. I am going to put the ferrule in tomorrow when i get a special type of bit called a "forstner bit". It's supposed to make the hole nice and non-crappy looking. Ill have pics up when im done hopefully tomorrow, you should check them out.
Man. I would do a paint job thats really simple. Like a see through black or something. with EMG's. Damn. That'd be really nice and classy. Maybe, see through black with gold hardware.
nice job man
thats an amazing job you have done so far!
Quote by neopowell
Killing yourself seems like the only simple solution.
Quote by dark manor
Man. I would do a paint job thats really simple. Like a see through black or something. with EMG's. Damn. That'd be really nice and classy. Maybe, see through black with gold hardware.

He's already planning on possibly a trans blue-to-trans black burst, and is putting DiMarzios in it.. Good idea though!

Stupid name.

well it would have been a good idea but he already has said he doesn't like the black and gold look... so... oh well! its looking nice so far!
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
oh this is going to be really really good looking. awesome shape, bro'!
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
this thing is looking sexy, best of luck man

and dude can you make a mockup of the guitar on kiskae or something? im really looking forward to see what it looks like
This is really something special mate! Wishing luck with this project... I think I'll keep my eye on that thread

Best wishes!
My Rig:

+Epiphone AJ100 acoustic
+Fender 60th. Anniversary Stratocaster
+Vox AD30VT
+Vox V847a Wah

look all i wanted was for someone to give me advice on what to do not to slag me off ok

Want advice? Suck yourself off.
Quote by sum_ugly_man
this thing is looking sexy, best of luck man

and dude can you make a mockup of the guitar on kiskae or something? im really looking forward to see what it looks like

I made a few a while ago. I'm going out for now, but when I come back I can post it.
And thanks.
Dude thats sick. Awesome. Good job. Thats gona be a sick guitar.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

lookin good. im gonna be following this
member of the Australia FTW! group (pm the random hero or alter bridge to join (aussies only)
I forgot to post those pictures I made...

As I said, I'm definately doing the blue to black burst, and I'm going to buy some extra black dye to possibly dye the back black (As opposed to just painting it a solid black). Finishing stuff'll be ordered tomorrow or tonight, and I'm going to buy some neck mounting ferrules, as well and do a sort of all access neck joint. Updates will be posted whenever any progress is made. I can't wait to get this done!
Yeah B looks freakin sweet,

I love this build and I dont know what your worrying about with those ferule holes :S

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Jan 10, 2008,