I have always wanted to know if i bought a Fender Standard Telecaster and switched out the single coil and got a high gain single coil (if possible) could i play metal as well as clean and rock music
~My Gear~
ESP EX-50 (Dimarzio Steves Special in Bridge)
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Valveking 100
Boss TU-2
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Cry Baby From Hell
Squier Strat
You could get a telecaster with a single coil and a humbucker and play metal.
yah but thats like 700+ to get one with a humbucker
~My Gear~
ESP EX-50 (Dimarzio Steves Special in Bridge)
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Valveking 100
Boss TU-2
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Cry Baby From Hell
Squier Strat
Hot rails anyone? I recall there is a black metal dude in some quite known band who uses a blonde telecaster. I dunno...

EDIT: Found the pic of him...
It seems to be the same dude from the youtube vid posted above.. Well.. Yeah..
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
Last edited by Lilldjuret at Apr 26, 2007,
John5 from Marilyn Manson and now Rob Zombie's guitarist uses a Tele as well.
Quote by Jay023
John5 from Marilyn Manson and now Rob Zombie's guitarist uses a Tele as well.

That has a full-size humbucker in the bridge though, but yeah, if you switch of the single coil for a hot rails or similar you could easily do metal...I might do that actually...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah. Same here. If I ever get a Strat or Tele I'm gonna have rails.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
you can, but then your cleans and rock music tones will suffer. generally speaking, the higher the output of a pickup, the better its distortion, but worse its clean (and vintage) tones get.

alternative would be to go somewhere in the middle for decent cleans and decent high gain.

but bear in mind that a single coil-sized humbucker won't sound like a full-size humbucker, and the fatness and girth of a full-sized humbucker is more what makes the metal sound (paired with a high-gain capable amp) rather than a high output pickup (especially if said high output pickup isn't a full-sized humbucker).

EDIT: hot rails in the bridge sound like shit, IMO. you won't get that metal grunt, you'll just get a trebly whiny hot single coil sound that makes your cleans suffer and still sounds crap for high gain.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I played a Strat with hot rails. Sounded really good with gain, but would have sounded bad for cleans.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^ i'm talking tele bridge hotrails, to be fair.

but yeah, it's a balancing act. just because they're single-coil sized doesn't automatically mean they'll have good cleans.

in fact, i'd argue it's probably easier to get good high gain tones out of lower output pickups (say use a booster pedal or something), than to get good cleans out of a high output pickup. though obviously neither is the perfect situation.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
u dont need a new pickup. the stock will do it fine, u just have to eq right. so u want to boost the low mids, and cut back on the high mids, with a slight boost on the very high frequencies.sorta like a sine wave
And this guy? James Root

I love that telecaster
Last edited by Op3a at Apr 26, 2007,
the other guitarist from slipknot uses a tele, or at least i saw him with one on youtube.

but thats slipknot..
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
It will work...telecasters can do anything. I'm tired of this "you can't play _____ because your guitar is a _____" crap. Unless you're trying to play metal on a full blown jazz archtop, you shouldn't really have any problems. I play through a Mesa Roadster and it has more than enough gain and range to allow me to play damn near anything with my stock strat. I think people just put too much stock into "guitar image".
You can play whatever you like with a Telecaster. If you play metal, yes it will sound different to the generic metal tones, but why is that automatically a bad thing?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Look: Die, from Dir en grey used an ESP Custom Telecaster (now he uses more or less the same, just more pointy, with longer neck scale and humbuckers) for lots of years. It was a standard tele, with fixed bridge and two single coils (EMG SA), and believe me; the other guitarist (Kaoru) used "somekinda" Forest with a Floyd and EMGs 81 & 85, and the Tele sounded MUCH more agressive than this one.
So there are just 3 things you need for playing metal on a Tele: 1) Good pickups (I think the EMG SA are great for it, very versatile, with high gain on dist, and good cleans). 2) Good technique (if you have ever heard Dir en grey, you'll know what I mean xD). 3) ATTITUDE!!!
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by Lilldjuret
Hot rails anyone? I recall there is a black metal dude in some quite known band who uses a blonde telecaster. I dunno...

EDIT: Found the pic of him...
It seems to be the same dude from the youtube vid posted above.. Well.. Yeah..

That's Jari from Wintersun.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
i know it means a bit of modification but has anyone had any luck with seymour duncan invaders?
I am in love with my telecaster, this is my 7th guitar. I am an ex owner of a B.C Rich USA hand made Warlock with 2x active EMG-s, an Ibanez RG active EMGS-, a Jackson Kelly with Seymour Duncans, a Kramer Vanguard, and some other metal axes (LTD, ESP). I am 33 yr old, I have been playing guitar for a good number of years, around 16 years total.

So my beloved tele has nice features:
Body: ash
Neck: maple
Fretboard: rosewood
Fixed bridge, strings goes through body yeah, best way to create good tone and sustain! (check Ibanez RGA-s)

I play my telecaster with factory pickups, drop A tuning (similar to early Korn tuning). My music style is not Kornish though, it is stoner-rock-metal-doom 80-160 BPM, plus wah pedal and delay pedal sometimes. I play distorted/clean tones.

I use Rotosound 013-054 strings (fattest strings made ever, similar to Ernie Ball 013-054), Marshall Jackhammer distortion pedal, Marshall 100 watt solid state amp (1978 it has vol, master bass mid treble presence only), and a 8x12 Ashdown Mag bass cabinet. :-D Rawr!

Whenever I play teh telecaster I have ear-orgasm and a hardon. It is not like an Ibanez RG with EMG-s or whatnot, it is a tele single coil full ash body going through a very well made modern dist pedal into a hell-made amp setup. The sound is raw, brutal deep and rich and unique and it BITE yeah!. It is definitely high-gain sound but a modern axe sounds synthetic, flat and boring compared to this. It has a definite catchy uniqueness combined with pure power. Growling like an upset lion if I want, and I want it yeah.

Also don't forget, your playing style, your picking and your fingers make ~60% of your sound, the rest is the wood (in this case ash) and your amp/effect setup and your pro cables.

Ah, and my tele is a cheap - but well made - Westone tele (2005) with Wilkinson single coils. I use the pickup switch in the middle position all the time so there is very little hum.
chris cornell in audioslave uses one, and jim root from slipknot uses a tele with EMGs

there make single coil sized EMGs and plenty of high output stacked humbuckers. mess around on the emg and seymour duncan websites. you can find a lot of stuff.