Page 4 of 5
what possessed you to even imagine something this crazy??? I can't even think of something like this in my wildest dreams. And then you actually go and pull it off. This thing is like monumental to me. lol. I've always wanted guitar effects on my guitar. This is insane!
Quote by ready2breakdown
what possessed you to even imagine something this crazy??? I can't even think of something like this in my wildest dreams. And then you actually go and pull it off. This thing is like monumental to me. lol. I've always wanted guitar effects on my guitar. This is insane!

I'm a big fan of Matt Bellamy - I like the way he has Manson stretch the concept of a guitar by adding in effects and/or other instruments. So I was keen to experiment with effects on my own and figure out how to do it. That's why it took about 300 hours to build ..... two steps back, three steps forward etc. But you have to choose your effects carefully. Most effects only need to be switched on and off - so are well suited to stay in pedals on the floor. Not so for the ZVex Fuzz Probe and the Boss PS5 Super Shifter. I'm very pleased with the result and now that it's seen a few months of hard use I'm also happy to report the guitar hasn't suffered any problems.
Quote by PXi
This is amazing. Everything else has already been said

Having said that though, If there isn't a sitar midi on there you're crazy!!!

Pleased to advise there is a sitar midi on-board (actually there are 128 midi instruments including the sitar). When we have time we will put another video of some more midi instruments up on Youtube.
Quote by The_0thersid3
How did you cover the body with chrome? is it just wood with metal attatched to it like a scratch plate?

Yes the chrome that you see is made of 1mm thick steel sheet - painstakingly hand cut and filed to shape - chromed and then screwed to the guitar body like a "normal" pickguard. Similarly, there is a 1mm thick copper sheet fixed to the upper horn of the guitar. This sheet is electrically insulated from the steel pickguard as it functions as the RF antenna for the Zvex Fuzz Probe. You can see it in action in the demo video on Youtube (link below). The guitar body is painted in Glasurit silver flake.
Last edited by RJV at Sep 21, 2007,
thats freakin coolest guitar ive ever seen i will kill for it
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Parker Nitefly with SD Hotrails and JB Two Tone

Amp
Marshall dsl 401

Effect:
Boss DD-6
EHX Big Muff
i'm digging the chrome dude. awesome guitar how much did it cost you to built something like that?
Ulquiorra Schiffer of THE BLEACH CLUB!

The Official UG Hate Crew member!

Love me because i'm an azn. hell yeah.
you kinda inspired me to built my own custom but i'm short of money lol.
Ulquiorra Schiffer of THE BLEACH CLUB!

The Official UG Hate Crew member!

Love me because i'm an azn. hell yeah.
Quote by *kas
This is an impressive guitar, but in the demo of the guy playing it he's using some awful fuzz setting and it sounds really bad.

Yeh i have to agree. The fuzz in that pedal isn't good for much, except for the antennae which it is perfect for. Would be nice to be able to turn down the gain to remove the wail of the theramin without using compression which makes undesired sounds, and since so much gain isn't always or very necessary. A possible mod perhaps?
www.myspace.com/funkmecrazy
Stevie Ray Vaughan and John Bonham's number one fan

"how do you make a 15 watt solid state amp sound good?"
Quote by p o e
step one, insert screwdriver into speaker
step two buy a good amp
Quote by Robbieeggo
Yeh i have to agree. The fuzz in that pedal isn't good for much, except for the antennae which it is perfect for. Would be nice to be able to turn down the gain to remove the wail of the theramin without using compression which makes undesired sounds, and since so much gain isn't always or very necessary. A possible mod perhaps?

Yeah, but if we wanted a cleaner "SRV tone" we would have just stuck with a run-o-the-mill Strat.
but i just think since its diverse in the matter of effects it should be in the matter of gain levels as well. SRV actually uses a lot of gain. He boosts his amps tubes using 2 tube screamers and sometimes runs a fender and a Marshall together, both on full volume. The difference is, SRVs gain sounds great. I reckon for anything other than the probe the fuzz sounds really bad

oh and i found this out the other day, Bo Didley used to build effects into the square shaped guitars he built for himself. pretty cool

Quote by p o e
step two buy a good amp
Last edited by Robbieeggo at Oct 29, 2007,
^i describe it as "clean gain". running boosters in front of a clean fender. i think thats enough clean gain and sustain.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^i describe it as "clean gain". running boosters in front of a clean fender. i think thats enough clean gain and sustain.

yeh true but on a lot of his songs and especially live his tone is hardly clean. He runs the tubes as hard as he can which is part of how he gets such a good sound. i wish i had tubes...

Quote by p o e
step two buy a good amp
Quote by Robbieeggo
but i just think since its diverse in the matter of effects it should be in the matter of gain levels as well. SRV actually uses a lot of gain. He boosts his amps tubes using 2 tube screamers and sometimes runs a fender and a Marshall together, both on full volume. The difference is, SRVs gain sounds great. I reckon for anything other than the probe the fuzz sounds really bad

oh and i found this out the other day, Bo Didley used to build effects into the square shaped guitars he built for himself. pretty cool

With respect, we don't think you understand (a) what it is we set out to achieve in the design, and (b) what the antenna actually does.

If we wanted to play with gain on-the-fly we would have built an overdrive or tube screamer effect into the guitar. This player doesn't want to fiddle with gain on-the-fly - preferring to keep the overdrive and/or tube screammer on the floor.

The antenna has nothing to do with gain. The antenna varies the fuzz compression only - EXACTLY as it did when installed in the original ZVex Fuzz Probe pedal. So if you don't like this fuzz sound then fine - but you may want to make a note not to buy a ZVex pedal .... and/or write to Zacharie and tell him you don't like his pedals.

Whilst we respect his talent, we are just not SRV fans so we in no way set out to emulate his tone. So any comparison between SRV's tones and this guitar are really quite meaningless to us.
haha fair enough
iv just heard the player use the gain for things other than the probe such as in the video and didn't think it was very useful as nobody really needs so much gain. And i think that the ability to reduce the gain would fix that, obviously. Whilst on-the-fly adjustments might be hard, it could have been built in the front. Last time i checked you guys were the ones who compared SRVs and your tones.

Quote by p o e
step two buy a good amp
Quote by Robbieeggo
haha fair enough
iv just heard the player use the gain for things other than the probe and didn't think it was very usefull. And i think that the ability to reduce the gain would fix that. Whilst on-the-fly adjustments might be hard, it could have been built in the front. Last time i checked you guys were the ones who compared SRVs and your tones.

"iv just heard the player use the gain for things other than the probe".

Impossible. The gain is part of the fuzz effects circuitry only. So if the fuzz is turned off then turning the gain knob has no effect on the tone whatsover. As we stated above, if we wanted a "general gain" control we could have put that on-board .... but preferred to keep that on the floor (or indeed, by foot-switching a tube amp from a clean to a more overdriven channel).

"Last time I checked you guys were the ones who compared SRVs and your tones"

If we did (and we genuinely don't recall ever doing so) then it would not have been in any sense of trying to emulate his tone - with the greatest respect to you we don't appreciate his tones now and never have. Can we drop the SRV comparisons please? This thread is about this guitar - neither the guitar nor the thread have any intended link to SRV or his tones. Clearly you are a big SRV fan and there's plenty of room on this forum to start your own SRV appreciateion society.
Yes you have used the fuzz for things other than the probe. For example, in the demo video at the start. The player plays the fuzz without the probe. Therefore he is using the gain without the probe, as fuzz=gain. Obviously turning a gain knob without the gain actually on will have no effect but this is irrelevant to my post.

"Yeah, but if we wanted a cleaner "SRV tone" we would have just stuck with a run-o-the-mill Strat."

i wasn't trying to compare your tone, but correct you. I did however use SRVs tone as an example of a good 'gain' or overdrive in relation to your fuzz. Not saying yours should be like it, but its a comparison of a good gain to a bad one. Last time I checked i'm allowed to reference SRV in a post if it helps me explain something

Quote by p o e
step two buy a good amp
Calm down children. I have to say that (allowing for recording method), i like that fuzz sound **for a certain musical effect**. If the player needs a nice creamy tone, I'm sure he can run the clean guitar through whatever he likes to get it. As the builder said, its all about fitting the design brief.

For a run-o-the-mill rhythm tone, that fuzz would probably be wholly inappropriate. But it makes a nice ripping sound that I'm sure a Thom Yorke/Matt Bellamy type songwriter would make good use of. Any sound can be useful in the right context.
Godin Progression; Ibanez S320 (Dmz HBs); Ibanez Artcore (Lollar HBs) --> Blackstar S1-45

Selling: Vox AD50VT

GAS: Volume, delay, Digitech Whammy,

http://www.ampworks.co.uk
Is the MIDI playback device on board? As in does the midi pickup lead to a onboard device that then goes to the output or is it connected to an external synthesizer?

Seriously, thats an awesome guitar. I wonder if it would be possible to take an MFX and sash the internals inside a guitar. But seriously awesom work.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
i bet all your band mate s are like hold on we have to wait 10 mins for our guitarist to program his guitar

still one SWEET AXE one of the best i have seen grabs your attension you can do a phil from thin lizzy and blind people in the crowd if they piss you off

or the drummer for having ADD atension defersit drumming
Quote by DagMX
Is the MIDI playback device on board? As in does the midi pickup lead to a onboard device that then goes to the output or is it connected to an external synthesizer?

Seriously, thats an awesome guitar. I wonder if it would be possible to take an MFX and sash the internals inside a guitar. But seriously awesom work.

The midi parts on board are just a Roland GK-3 kit, which then runs through the standard Roland 13 pin cable to connect to a Roland GI-20 midi interface which, in the case of the videos, then connects to a Kawai MP8 Professional Stage Piano (which as the synthesized sounds).

Having squeezed a Zvex Fuzz Probe, Boss PS-5 Super Shifter and the Roland GK-3 into this guitar I suppose almost anything is possible. I'm not familiar with an MFX so the only other point to consider is whether its handy to have any of the controls close to hand (i.e. on the guitar) or whether they are better left on the floor as a "set and forget".
Quote by Robbieeggo
Yes you have used the fuzz for things other than the probe. For example, in the demo video at the start. The player plays the fuzz without the probe. Therefore he is using the gain without the probe, as fuzz=gain. Obviously turning a gain knob without the gain actually on will have no effect but this is irrelevant to my post.

"Yeah, but if we wanted a cleaner "SRV tone" we would have just stuck with a run-o-the-mill Strat."

i wasn't trying to compare your tone, but correct you. I did however use SRVs tone as an example of a good 'gain' or overdrive in relation to your fuzz. Not saying yours should be like it, but its a comparison of a good gain to a bad one. Last time I checked i'm allowed to reference SRV in a post if it helps me explain something

I still don't agree - on all points - but rather than go round in circles, lets just leave it there and agree to disagree.
Quote by stuartstratford
i bet all your band mate s are like hold on we have to wait 10 mins for our guitarist to program his guitar

still one SWEET AXE one of the best i have seen grabs your attension you can do a phil from thin lizzy and blind people in the crowd if they piss you off

or the drummer for having ADD atension defersit drumming

Programming ?? Everything is done via a knob, a push button, or a toggle switch ..... so it really only takes a split second to change, for example, from a clean guitar to synthesized bell,s to overdriven guitar with pitch shifter, to sitar etc.

Thanks for your comments !!
That is one sweet axe...
Quote by mafropetee

I brought my electric to school w/ no amp and started playing it, and some guy was like "I can barely hear it, and it doesn't sound all cool. I think it's a fake guitar"

g e a r//
Epi Futura Prophecy FX
Epi G-400
Boss DS-1
Vox AD15VT
dosnt all the crazy cutout you had to make take away from the tone?
If its not fender than whatever]
well, its a real cool idea and all, but in that video it sounded like balls.
Quote by ffud
dosnt all the crazy cutout you had to make take away from the tone?

Hard to say. As the body wasn't played as a guitar before the routing I cant compare a "before" and "after". All I can say is that I am very pleased with the tone (and sustain) of the end product. Cheers.
Quote by chea_man
well, its a real cool idea and all, but in that video it sounded like balls.

Each one to their own, but bear in mind at this end I'm hearing this guitar through a Mesa 4x12 Recto cab and my guess is that you don't have the same sort of cab hooked up to your PC. But maybe you do? Cheers
Along with the man who made the clay guitar, you are also my god, RJV.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I thought it looked incredible and then when i heard it I was even more impressed. Wonderful job
Wow. Just wow.
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
this is over the top.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.