Page 2 of 57
Little Wing was good...Then Stevie Ray Vaughan covered it and made it great. SRV makes Hendrix look like a child on guitar.
Quote by blackened5150
Little Wing was good...Then Stevie Ray Vaughan covered it and made it great. SRV makes Hendrix look like a child on guitar.

Haha... again... maybe I don't totally agree... but I do a little.

One reason I can't ever consider Hendrix the greatest ever is because all of SRV's versions of his songs...IMO are far and away better as far as guitar and vocals.
Please don't confront me with my failures. I had not forgotten them.
I saw kenny wayne shepherd in concert in april, he closed with Voodoo Chile...My dear lord...I've never heard/seen anyone play it that way. He impressed me more than SRV did. It was damn good.
Anyone ever seen the 1973 documentary on Hendrix? It is awesome and the interviews are very insightful. It doesn't shy away from putting actual performances on display either. Damn good film. I encourage everyone to try and see it.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
So I'm watching VH1 Classic's "One Hit Wonders" show... and I just heard one of the most interesting music facts I've heard in a loooong time...

Jimi Hendrix only cracked the Top 20 on the charts ONCE...with a cover song...Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower"
Please don't confront me with my failures. I had not forgotten them.
Yea, a shame. The white radio stations didn't play him because he was too hard and the black radio stations didn't play him because his audience was too white. But when you went to his concerts, you had to fight your way in. Such is the irony of the pop scene of the 60's.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

There was some thingie on a VH1 channel about Hendrix, it had a guy from Remember the Titans playing Hendrix... I can't remember what it was called, I just know I didn't like it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Henrix is good. i used to like him a lot more than i do now. dont get me wrong, i still like him, but im just less interested in listening to him.
Yes, I was aware of that. Why did you bring that up?

Redding died pretty much pennyless, didn't get any cash from the time he was with hendrix (not Jimi's fault, but his 1/2 sister and father).

and yea i saw the film done with the guy from remember the titans, it was brutal, just aweful.

and yes, i also knew he only had one top 20 hit, he's a guy whose legend just grew and grew after he passed on. each generation took him on as thier own, that's his true legacy.
Cream fan club member #11.
blackened, you must be oblivious to what Hendrix really did with his music. No other artist has put more feeling into their music than him. He was an idealist and expressed his feelings through guitar. Not to mention he knew more ways to express it than u me and probably everyone from this thread combined kno how. Either you haven't lisntened to hendrix enough or you don't understand what he was about. And he wasn't just drugs and feedback, he was much more than that. And concerning drugs he wasn't all weed btw, he did a lot of drugs including LCD which some say that drastically influenced his lyrics.
Last edited by Yiggity Yins at May 14, 2007,
Quote by psychodelia
There was some thingie on a VH1 channel about Hendrix, it had a guy from Remember the Titans playing Hendrix... I can't remember what it was called, I just know I didn't like it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

yeah i watched that video on vh1 classic rock channel. I'm think it was just called "Hendrix." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0260949/ Pretty sure that is it cuz Jimi Hendrix from that is the guy from Remember the Titans. That was a pretty decent movie. Really showed some of what jimi was about.

Yeah and blackened go watch Jimi Plays Monterey. Either buy it from suncoast or something or just watch it on youtube (although its missing a few sections I think). Maybe you'll understand a little bit about wat i mean
Quote by TDMize15
Haha... again... maybe I don't totally agree... but I do a little.

One reason I can't ever consider Hendrix the greatest ever is because all of SRV's versions of his songs...IMO are far and away better as far as guitar and vocals.

I don't understand how you can cover a song and do it better. Jimi hendrix didn't do it better in his covers and ppl like SRV and John Mayer aren't doing it better in their covers of Hendrix songs. They did it different with their own style in their own way. Well not really John Mayer...
Quote by Cptbeefheart
For all those who think he was drugged out and distorted all the time, just listen to Axis: Bold as Love. He is rarely distorted on that record and some of the sounds he coaxes out of his guitar are just gorgeous.

Little Wing might be the most beautiful song ever recorded...

It's the best piece of music I've ever heard.
Among the best. WLL Live By Zep is good too.
It has very loose playing which makes it more or a feeling song.
Yeah I actually like more of his rhythmic stuff rather than his 'harder' music. Like Voodoo Child and Machine Gun r great and have so much feeling but just cuz it has so much feeling doesn't really make a song a classic for me (tho its definately a plus). I tend to listen to more Axis: Bold as Love. Like castles made of sand, bold as love, If 6 was 9, 51st Anniversary and Wait Until Tomorrow r also awesome songs with more of a pop song. I like his Rolling Stone cover. If you've ever heard the version of Angel that almost sounds acoustic (but im pretty sure its not). I like that one more than the normal song Angel. Btw weird fact is that Little Wing use to be called Angel. On his albums after he died the albums said Little Wing but then when his family got the rights to his music they put an album out and instead of Little Wing they called it Angel just to stay true to Hendrix.
Does anyone know what the effect at the end of Bold As Love is? I love that ending part and that effect makes it sound VERY trippy.
Megan Fox nude!

Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE
Quote by psychodelia

I actually watched it a few days ago and thought it was done quite well. I thought some of the live playing could have looked better, but he did a lot of Jimi's stage moves pretty well. Overall, I liked it.
One thing I admire about Hendrix is how he makes race not matter. When u think about Jackie Robinson, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan any person who was great at something and also a minority thats one of the first things that comes to mind (ashamed to say) but with Hendrix, it isn't something you completely forget but its something that isn't a big deal its just kinda there. I think its really cuz of how powerful his music is and how much feelings it expresses makes you forget about the fact that he was a black male in a time when blacks were looked down upon.
Quote by basketcase23
I actually watched it a few days ago and thought it was done quite well. I thought some of the live playing could have looked better, but he did a lot of Jimi's stage moves pretty well. Overall, I liked it.

The movie is called Hendrix. And I liked it as well. That at certain angles he looked and acted just like him.

Also about race not comig to mind when thinking bout him, same thing hear. Most people think first off about his music and don't even think about his color. Also from what I've heard and read he did have a lot of trouble playing in the south in his time with instances such as cops refusing to do security for his show because he was balck with white people were even mad at him for playing the music he did because they either felt he was spreading "black music" or ruining music that whites played.
Yeah I can't really say how ppl might of felt back then about Jimi's race, that might be different (idk i wasn't alive) but like now you don't really think about it. More about his image rather than his skin color.
Jimi Hendrix is one of my favorite artists of all time. My favorite album is Axis: Bold As Love. Its so strong and melodic and beautiful. Its rather underrated due to the fact is smashed between two hard rock benchmarks (Are You Experienced?, Electric Ladyland) I own all of his albums and they are some of the most enjoyable peices of music I have ever heard.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
^agreed. I think thats my favorite album too. Its not as loud as some of his other songs but most of all it just seems much better rhytmically. Idk just my opinion tho
Quote by ToysInTheAttic1
Does anyone know what the effect at the end of Bold As Love is? I love that ending part and that effect makes it sound VERY trippy.

Pretty sure its a flanger.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Quote by Guns N Roses

Also about race not comig to mind when thinking bout him, same thing hear. Most people think first off about his music and don't even think about his color. Also from what I've heard and read he did have a lot of trouble playing in the south in his time with instances such as cops refusing to do security for his show because he was balck with white people were even mad at him for playing the music he did because they either felt he was spreading "black music" or ruining music that whites played.

Most likely the former, becauseeven the most uneducated redneck probably knew that rock was based off of the blues.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by blackened5150
Why should there be a huge Hendrix thread? Just post a thing about Weed & Feedback; that's all he was. It was a lot of noise, pointless noise. You people are too wrapped up in stuff that is overated and not that great. You need to look at the big picture instead of being glued to this pointless propaganda. Just because VH1 puts Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Sabbath up in their top choices does NOT mean they are that great.

I hate people like this. You listen to Wild Thing and Purple Haze and think 'hey I can play that riff, the solo's not too hard either...damn...Hendrix isn't that great, he's not even half as fast as Malmsteen!!' Then you completely ignore his beautiful songs (Little Wing, his cover of Like A Rolling Stone, Castles Made of Sand, The Wind Cries Mary etc.) which evoke the most beautiful emotions, songs which only Hendrix (sorry but I've never heard another guitarist who could ever even come close to writing those songs) could create. He wasn't just distortion and playing with his teeth! He was an artist.
Quote by fadingboy
I hate people like this. You listen to Wild Thing and Purple Haze and think 'hey I can play that riff, the solo's not too hard either...damn...Hendrix isn't that great, he's not even half as fast as Malmsteen!!' Then you completely ignore his beautiful songs (Little Wing, his cover of Like A Rolling Stone, Castles Made of Sand, The Wind Cries Mary etc.) which evoke the most beautiful emotions, songs which only Hendrix (sorry but I've never heard another guitarist who could ever even come close to writing those songs) could create. He wasn't just distortion and playing with his teeth! He was an artist.

Quoted for the Gospel $$$$in truth.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM Dorkus Malorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.

Please, crit my song!
Vision at the Stairs
There was a program on the tele last night about Hendrix... it was well sad lol. There's a thread on it in The Pit... Seven Ages Of Rock, it's called
Quote by wastingtime
chavs haha such a funny word, in my house we call them ferals

Member Number 6 Of The "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub

POLICE till I die!
Quote by TDMize15
So I'm watching VH1 Classic's "One Hit Wonders" show... and I just heard one of the most interesting music facts I've heard in a loooong time...

Jimi Hendrix only cracked the Top 20 on the charts ONCE...with a cover song...Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower"

hmmm, i'm pretty sure I read his first hit Hey Joe got to number 6, but that was in britain and maybe VH1 refer to america.
So, which version of Red House does everyone prefer?

I'm partial to the sloppier one on the Blues record.

Quote by blackened5150
Why should there be a huge Hendrix thread? Just post a thing about Weed & Feedback; that's all he was. It was a lot of noise, pointless noise. You people are too wrapped up in stuff that is overated and not that great. You need to look at the big picture instead of being glued to this pointless propaganda. Just because VH1 puts Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Sabbath up in their top choices does NOT mean they are that great.

Try playing this pointless noise and you will see why he is great. And if great musicians like Buddy Guy, and Jim Morrison respect him, then he must have been good. I also can't stand VH1, and, athough I am not a huge fan of Hendrix as far as his overall sound, he was hands down the most skilled guitarist that ever lived. Zeppelin are my favorite too, I actually just fell into them when I heard Whole Lotta Love for the first time in about 4 years, and was instantly hooked. You just don't have the mind to appreciate good music. Although I don't even know is this is true, VH1 wouldn't rate them high if they weren't good.
Quote by Cptbeefheart
So, which version of Red House does everyone prefer?

I'm partial to the sloppier one on the Blues record.

Do you mean the Electric Church one? I think that's on the blues CD. Whatever, it's my favourite. The intro makes my hair stand on end.
There are a couple versions of Red House on the Blues CD. There is one just titled "Red House" and that is my favorite. Very sloppy playing but it reveals Jimi's soul.

Yeah. I think the one just called Red House is the album version, not sure though. I prefer the electric chirch one cos it's longer but not too long and beacuse I think his improv is great on it. But I like both.
The one called Red House is the album version but it is obviously an alternate take. I like both a lot too, I just prefer one a little more than the other.

Quote by ToysInTheAttic1

k so I talked to my guitar teacher about this today. Im just starting to learn the second solo. First off hendrix is playing 2 strings and bending the lower string of the two a full step. Starts out like this and you are bending the 2nd string a full step. (btw another example of this is Dazed and Confused right before the solo)
|-9-------|
|-(12)---|
|---------|
|---------|
|---------|

There is also flanging going on but its not electronic its like old school flanging. They would take the two tapes and put them in sync at first and then they would allow one of the tapes to become slightly out of sync (but not to the extent of echo or delay) to create the sound. You can hear it on the drums too. If you really want ill finish the tab for the ending solo but my teacher hasn't given me the full thing yet. Just PM if u care that much.
Quote by fadingboy

You are an idiot, when you were writing this I hope you equiped your flame shield... first off Malmseen is ****E compared to jimi Hendrix. Jimi played with so much emotion that you can't see it and you'de rather go watch some asshole playing so fast that his fingers set alight and by the end of his songs you don't have any insight into his soul or his feelings...you suck
Gear:

Squire Fat Stratocaster (Gotoh Pickups)
Marshall 50 DFX amplifier
Marshall Guv'nor II Distortion Pedal
Jim Dunlop Standard Cry Baby
Vintage VS6