Page 4 of 57
best song from fillmore is machine gun, that song has so much energy, great song
Quote by highvoltage66
so whats this pink floyd guy's middle name anyway?
^Machine Gun might be the best example of Hendrix's playing period...
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
agreed, very good song
Quote by highvoltage66
Quote by Kartman
I also hate his singing. Little Miss Strange and She's So Fine shouldn't even be on the records they're on, he doesn't need a vocal track God damnit.

yeah, i find both of those tracks quite cheesy really. they suck.
Quote by Kartman
I also hate his singing. Little Miss Strange and She's So Fine shouldn't even be on the records they're on, he doesn't need a vocal track God damnit.
Agreed.

Quote by Cptbeefheart
^Machine Gun might be the best example of Hendrix's playing period...
I must admit I don't quite get the machine gun thang. Why is it such a good example of his playing?
"Woke Up This Morning and Found Myself Dead" = awesome.

Jim Morrison makes the whole album just gold.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by MaltedMilk
Agreed.

I must admit I don't quite get the machine gun thang. Why is it such a good example of his playing?

because it rules dude
Quote by highvoltage66
of course most of his stuff is amazing, but have you heard the song??? it is "11" minutes of greatness, and Band of Gypsys are better musicians
Quote by highvoltage66
Speaking of Machine Gun...I just got done listening to the 1969-12-31 early show version (Band of Gypsys was taken from the early and late shows on 1969-12-31 and 1970-01-01) and I have to say, it is pretty bad in comparison to the officially released version (from whatever of the three other shows that was taken from). Not to say that it's a bad version overall, it just doesn't even compare to the one
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
the live one at the fillmore is the best
Quote by highvoltage66
I dunno what his best live performance is. Woodstock had so much feeling in it but like he already was a big name he had nothing to prove. Fillmore East was cool and all the ones with Buddy Miles were awesome but how can you beat Monterey. He played like he had something to prove and he definately succeeded
Quote by gtrplyr54
of course most of his stuff is amazing, but have you heard the song??? it is "11" minutes of greatness, and Band of Gypsys are better musicians

Now I wouldn't say that...Buddy Miles was a good drummer, but Mitch Mitchell was way more innovative IMO. And Billy Cox was just an average bassist, if it wasn't for him being friends with Jimi in army days, he wouldnt have gotten anywhere. But Cox was more dedicated than Redding was without a doubt.
Quote by XxFIENDxX
Now I wouldn't say that...Buddy Miles was a good drummer, but Mitch Mitchell was way more innovative IMO. And Billy Cox was just an average bassist, if it wasn't for him being friends with Jimi in army days, he wouldnt have gotten anywhere. But Cox was more dedicated than Redding was without a doubt.

I don't really think its right to pick apart people's playing like that. It's an OPINION.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Personally, Mitch Mitchell is one of my favorite drummers... I like him far better than Keith Moon as far as style goes.

Listen to his playing on Third Stone From The Sun, Voodoo Chile, Manic Depression... come on, he rocks the hell out of those songs.

He seems like he would also suit well as a Jazz drummer!
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I find his drumming a bit all over the place TBH, theres too many crash cymbols everywhere. I prefer someone like John Bonham who has the groove but keeps it simpler.
Quote by Kartman

He seems like he would also suit well as a Jazz drummer!

Yeah I know what you mean, he'd suit that genre, he reminds me of Chad Smith kind of a human metronome.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by MaltedMilk
I find his drumming a bit all over the place TBH, theres too many crash cymbols everywhere. I prefer someone like John Bonham who has the groove but keeps it simpler.

as much as i love Bonham, hes my favorite drummer, he could never capture such a subtle and almost caressing sounds that Mitchell could with those crash symbols like on wind cries Mary, but even his awesome heavy drumming is really tight like on the live version of fire from live at woodstock.
yeah it's just.. somehow messy and all over the place. But fair enough Bonham couldn't do that gentle jazzy thang that Mitchell does.
Quote by perko
as much as i love Bonham, hes my favorite drummer, he could never capture such a subtle and almost caressing sounds that Mitchell could with those crash symbols like on wind cries Mary, but even his awesome heavy drumming is really tight like on the live version of fire from live at woodstock.

Mitch has some amazing drum on Third Stones from the Sun, Fire, and Manic Depression.

As far as Rock drummers go, he's probably my favorite along with Ian Paice, John Bonham, Ginger Baker, and Terry Bozzio.
I hate to say it but: Mitchell > Bonham

Just a little bit though!

And I don't know what you're talking about, Mitchell carries the groove. Listen to Third Stone From The Sun, for example.
Quote by XxFIENDxX

that's exactly what i am saying dude, right on
Quote by highvoltage66
Quote by Kartman

And I don't know what you're talking about, Mitchell carries the groove. Listen to Third Stone From The Sun, for example.

Don't say that in the Zep thread. Whatever you do.
LOL
I prefer Mitchell to Bonham as well. He really takes over some songs, just listen to Fire for a good example of that...
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Quote by Kartman

that's illegal in some states
Quote by highvoltage66
Neither of them were the greatest solo players, they didn't make their solos musical like Baker, at least imo. Let's just say each drummer is the best for their band. Imagine having Mitchell in Zeppelin, it wouldn't work.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
^ I dunno, I love John Bonham, he was one of my favorite drummers, and I love Moby Dick, but I just love Mitchell's style, where he incoporporates Jazz into his hard rock drumming. He's simply my favorite drummer!
Quote by Cptbeefheart
I prefer Mitchell to Bonham as well. He really takes over some songs, just listen to Fire for a good example of that...

He's everywhere in "Fire." I couldn't keep up with him air drumming.
LOL
Quote by Kartman
^air drumming?

Kind of like air guitar. You pretend like your drumming with your hands while your listening to a song.
LOL
Quote by Kartman
^ I dunno, I love John Bonham, he was one of my favorite drummers, and I love Moby Dick, but I just love Mitchell's style, where he incoporporates Jazz into his hard rock drumming. He's simply my favorite drummer!

pretty much my thoughts. I can sympathize with people that say he's messy and all over the places.

He's a little like hendrix's equivalent on drums. When you first hear him he sounds messy, but after a while you see through that and it's great.
Mitch Mitchell and Ginger Baker are two of my favourite drummers. Awesome jazz drummers who are able to incorporate that style awesomely into rock.

Of course, out of the two, I like Ginger better, but still.....
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
i still say Neil Peart can out drum them anytime of the day
Neil Peart is a god , lol
Quote by highvoltage66
while we're on the subject...

my favourite drummers in order: Peart, Bruford, Palmer, Barlow, Mitchell, Baker, Bonham, Paice.
Quote by sam i am
pretty much my thoughts. I can sympathize with people that say he's messy and all over the places.

He's a little like hendrix's equivalent on drums. When you first hear him he sounds messy, but after a while you see through that and it's great.

Quote by sam i am

Well said.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I know what you mean; it's amazing.

Yeah, it's a shame he was kinda in the back seat to Jimi. Jimi's god, but Mitch was really talented.
Poor Noel Redding, people always seem to talk about Jimi (obviously) and Mitch first.