Page 5 of 57
Most probably because he wasn't up to the musical standard of the other two. And the songs he wrote were rather generic. He was never the greatest bass player and in fact Jimi did quite a few bass tracks because he wasn't happy with Redding in the studio.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
^Very fair, but the three of them did kind of have chemistry together, and let's not forget Noels skills in learning songs (and instruments - he was origionally a guitarist) quickly.
But yeah, not up to the standard of the other two.
I wouldn't agree with that statement. Ever since the band was formed there were tensions amongst Jimi and Noel.

I would definitely say that it was Jimi and Mitch who made the band.
Yeah, but they were bloody good at playing together, I mean can you imagine being Jimi Hendrix' bassist?
Jimi just used to turn up on the day and show them the chords, and then they record it. Apparently they had only played one of the songs on Are You Experienced before the day it was recorded (sorry, I don't remember which one), so that takes a lot of skill on Noels part.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I wouldn't agree with that statement. Ever since the band was formed there were tensions amongst Jimi and Noel.

I would definitely say that it was Jimi and Mitch who made the band.

Oh yes. No doubt in my mind.
LOL
Quote by MaltedMilk
Yeah, but they were bloody good at playing together, I mean can you imagine being Jimi Hendrix' bassist?
Jimi just used to turn up on the day and show them the chords, and then they record it. Apparently they had only played one of the songs on Are You Experienced before the day it was recorded (sorry, I don't remember which one), so that takes a lot of skill on Noels part.

Ya. Everyone in that band was pretty talented, though.
The.
^ Plus they're ability to improvise was almost unmatched at the time.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Quote by MaltedMilk

In my opinion that is sort of a weak argument. The fact that Jimi showed them the chords for a song should, alone, be enough to at least get a simple bassline started, but on occasion Noel was unable to, and thus Jimi would have to come up with one.

Also, it would take just as much skill on Mitch's part because he would have to know of any possible time changes and such.

Basically, upon learning the key of a song and getting a basic idea of how it works, a decent bassist should be able to get something going-espeically in a band such as The Experience that was basically oriented towards Jimi. In other words, Noel wouldn't necessarilly have to produce an amazing bassline, but would simply have to be there as a presence to the overall sound.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
In my opinion that is sort of a weak argument. The fact that Jimi showed them the chords for a song should, alone, be enough to at least get a simple bassline started, but on occasion Noel was unable to, and thus Jimi would have to come up with one.

Also, it would take just as much skill on Mitch's part because he would have to know of any possible time changes and such.

Basically, upon learning the key of a song and getting a basic idea of how it works, a decent bassist should be able to get something going-espeically in a band such as The Experience that was basically oriented towards Jimi. In other words, Noel wouldn't necessarilly have to produce an amazing bassline, but would simply have to be there as a presence to the overall sound.

I think you hit the nail right on the head Heartie. If you look/listen closely Noel's bass parts are really one in the same in most cases. With those chromatic runs and stuff.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
From my point of view the more exciting bass lines from Jimi are the ones played by him or Billy Cox's work even when they played the older experience numbers he put a much better feel.

And giving the bassist the chords on the same day is fine. I've played gigs where all I've got are the chords and there haven't been any rehearsals. A decent bassist should be able to lay something down pretty quickly, it's not difficult.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by add45
Yay! Another Hendrix thread

*me gets ready to raise his post count*

On topic though, anyone seen Live at the Royal Albert Hall? I have a bootlegged DVD somewhere here, I think...

I watched that everyday till they took it off youtube. I really wish someone would put it back up.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

Quote by sinan90
From my point of view the more exciting bass lines from Jimi are the ones played by him or Billy Cox's work even when they played the older experience numbers he put a much better feel.

And giving the bassist the chords on the same day is fine. I've played gigs where all I've got are the chords and there haven't been any rehearsals. A decent bassist should be able to lay something down pretty quickly, it's not difficult.

I love Billy way better than Noel.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Who doesn't?

Agreed.

Mitchell vs Miles is a pickle though. I'm not sure who I prefer.. prolly Miles though. The Band of Gypsys was Jimi's most soulful era imo.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
^I didn't know he sang.
^^Listen to Who Knows. Vocal soloooo
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Or those super soulful vocals that come in by the end of Machine Gun.. they really add tot he song.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
Out of the two drummers I'd pick Mitch because he seemed more able tom me to cope with Jimi going off on one. Buddy was probably a better technical drummer but was too regimented in the context of the band.
Founder of Jaco society

i think mitch kicked the crap off buddy , buddy had a voice and it definately gave machine gun a lot more soul, but i doubt he could even play "fire", he is sloppy and often lost rhythm, the final arrangment of Jimi, Mitch, and cox was by far the best
Has anyone noticed that Are You Experienced (the album) isn't very consistent with it's tuning? Some songs will be in standard, and some will be a half-step down. It makes it very hard to jam with the album when switching from song to song.
But Jimi rarely made use of the extra note when tuned half a step down, only did it to make bends easier. Or that's what I've got from all the music I've got for bass.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by Kartman
Has anyone noticed that Are You Experienced (the album) isn't very consistent with it's tuning? Some songs will be in standard, and some will be a half-step down. It makes it very hard to jam with the album when switching from song to song.
Yeah, I noticed that, but you gotta bear in mind it was recorded a bit at a time over several weeks. It was never going to be a very consistant album.
EDIT: Before you all flame me, I didn't mean consistant in terms of quality of the music.
Last edited by MaltedMilk at Jun 19, 2007,
Anyone else who has bought the "Jimi hendrix Experience box" ? wich contains a 80 page booklet?

I bought it and there are alternative versions of his songs plus Live performances.

I like to hear the alternative versions of his songs. A little variation..
Theres a dvd also
Quote by MaltedMilk
Yeah, I noticed that, but you gotta bear in mind it was recorded a bit at a time over several weeks. It was never going to be a very consistant album.
EDIT: Before you all flame me, I didn't mean consistant in terms of quality of the music.

Wow, a couple weeks. I wasn't aware of that. I remember the Beetles recorded an album in, what, a day and a half!
Please Please Me (they're first) was recorded in 10 hours, I think it was
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Well yeah, they just went in and got a couple of songs down whenever they got the chance. I guess it shouldn't have taken too long, cos the album is basically just guitar, bass and drums recorded live, with a vocals and a lead guitar on top.
Origionally it was just going to be a few singles but eventually it became obvius that they had enough material for an album. If you look at the CD tracklist:

1. Foxy Lady
2. Manic Depression
3. Red House
4. Can You See Me
5. Love Or Confusion
6. I Don't Live Today
7. May This Be Love
8. Fire
9. Third Stone From The Sun
10. Remember
11. Are You Experienced
12. Hey Joe
13. Stone Free
14. Purple Haze
15. 51st Anniversary
16. Wind Cries Mary
17. Highway Chile

The first 11 songs were on the origional LP, the last 6 songs were singles and their respective B-sides:

Single: Hey Joe
B-Side: Stone Free

Single: Purple Haze
B-Side: 51st Anniversary

Single: Wind Cries Mary
B-Side: Highway Chile

So Hey Joe and Purple Haze wern't actually on an album!
Last edited by MaltedMilk at Jun 20, 2007,
Quote by Kartman

Thats pretty ironic because on they'r next album Axis: Bold As Love, every single one of the songs was recorded with the tuning half a step down.
^That's true.

And does anyone know if Voodoo Chile is in Drop D or D Standard?I'll assume D Standard, because Jimi obviously preferred standard, but I usually just play it in drop D, but that's because I don't want to tune the other strings down.
Voodoo Chile is in D standard, well at least for bass, Voodoo Child Slight Return is in Eb standard.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
Voodoo Chile is in D standard, well at least for bass, Voodoo Child Slight Return is in Eb standard.

Yeah, I was just wondering. It's easier to play in Drop D!

Great song!
jimi is god i love his version of all along the watchtower,well who doesn't ?
Quote by morrixon2
jimi is god i love his version of all along the watchtower,well who doesn't ?

I'm really not that big of a fan of it. I think that at least 75% of Electric Ladyland is better than that song.
^I disagree with you there. Hendrix's guitar work on that song is astounding.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
^I do dig his soloing in it, but overall, I think it's just a bit bland. I'd pick House Burning Down over it anyday.
I think Watchtower is great, I read a good description of it somewhere that said 'Hendrix coloured in the pencil sketch that was Bob Dylans All Along The Watchtower'. IMO it's a really good way to put it.
Quote by MaltedMilk
I think Watchtower is great, I read a good description of it somewhere that said 'Hendrix coloured in the pencil sketch that was Bob Dylans All Along The Watchtower'. IMO it's a really good way to put it.

Hehe yeah. Awesome song. Even Dylan himself liked it.

Hendrix = one of my main guitar influences and one of my favourite artist ever. We had a thread about it not too long ago, and I definitely agree. His lyrics are really underrated. A lot of people just recognize Hendrix a revolutionary guitarist (and he definitely was), but IMO he was a really talented songwriter and lyricist aswell. His other talents were overshadowed by his guitar playing abilities.