GiggityTar
560 IQ
I just notices today that my strings smell really weird, they also make my fingers smell weird. They've got a metallic type of smell that is frigging strong sometimes. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this before.
supersolus666
Will poke for coke.
386 IQ
yea its like that for most of the acoustic strings i get when you sweat it makes the strings wet and they start to smell funny
Have:
Dean DOF w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Pickup Set
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb 50w Head
Randall KH-120 Cabinet

Want:
Marshall 1960a Cabinet
auranos
aka Joe
555 IQ
The strings are being oxidized (rusting). It happens.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
neonflannel
Total Badass
889 IQ
yeah, you should probably change them. Get some Elixer polywebs. the nanocoating seals the string so it doesnt oxidize so fast. and they sound friggin awsome. and last forever
Guitars.

Seagull Entourage Rustic Q1
Washburn D-10 N 93'
Jay turser.. i dunno what model.
punkrox101
995 IQ
i'm experiencing this right now. mostly because i sweat a lot whenever i play guitar. they do affect your fingers to smell. you have to wash your hands everytime after playing. go change your strings. it will definitely help.
::type
Battery Chicken
Viva la Revolucion!
434 IQ
Quote by neonflannel
yeah, you should probably change them. Get some Elixer polywebs. the nanocoating seals the string so it doesnt oxidize so fast. and they sound friggin awsome. and last forever

Agreed and on the plus side you only have to do a re-string a third as much as you used to. On the downside, they cost a crapload more but they are worth it.
auranos
aka Joe
555 IQ
Quote by neonflannel

That's assuming that you don't break a string, in which case you might as well have bought the cheapos.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Jimmy_Page99
528 IQ
elixir polywebs are amazing. Can get expensive but totally worth it, and they don't stink either.
"If my wings should fail me, Lord, please meet me with another pair."
-Led Zeppelin

Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
GiggityTar
560 IQ
actually Elixir polywebs are what I am using haha. Ive been using them for a long time though but they still sounded good, but yeah I put new ones on yesterday.
50's strat
491 IQ
My 5 year old accoustics strings are all rusted and have the same thing; as people said, its them rusting.

Anyways, do classical accoustic strings rust? I was thinking about getting one someday.
My setup specs:

Guitars: Fender 50's stratocaster
Old jr accoustic crap guitar.

Amp: Roland cube 20x (Going to probably be traded in for a blues jr soon though.)

Effects: Dunlop gcb-95 wah
Boss dd-6 delay
Battery Chicken
Viva la Revolucion!
434 IQ
Quote by 50's strat
My 5 year old accoustics strings are all rusted and have the same thing; as people said, its them rusting.

Anyways, do classical accoustic strings rust? I was thinking about getting one someday.

Dude, 5 years? It's time to change them. I know one guy who changes his on a weekly basis. Jesus 5 Years!!! I was feeling guilty for not changing mine for 4 months.
the spiker
Wrathful and Sullen
753 IQ
Changing strings on a weekly basis? That is ridiculous. I cannot afford to do that

I tend to change strings every six months, or sooner if a string breaks.
auranos
aka Joe
555 IQ
Quote by 50's strat

The strings on a classical guitar are nylon, so no, they don't rust.
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83