Page 1 of 8
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
You guys might know me since I hang around here quite a bit, anyway I just bought a guitar body and neck from the factory closeout at guitarfetish.com, in case you are curious it is the Unfinished Jem style Body- Mahogany over Poplar and Lightning Bolt Inlay 24 fret square end neck, my dad bought these and they will hand around in Montreal until I go there next time to visit my dad, which is the only drawback cause it may be only in december when i actually start.

So I made this thread to announce and to get and share ideas.

So far I have only the neck and body ready, I have to decide pups, hardware and finishing.

So share your opinions, I'm leaning towards a Dimarzio X2N and Paf Pro and I feel like doing a swirl finish.

edit: APRIL 2009

Quick faq on some common question:

1- The swirl was done with the PROJECT GUITAR TUTORIAL

2- For the oil paint I used TREMCLAD , one can white one black. This paint was bought in Canada, not sure if you can get it in the USA.

3- You have to use liquid paint, nothing from a tube will work, it is too solid and dense
Last edited by Alexander_BR at Apr 13, 2009,
darkarbiter7
i love amp
4,594 IQ
I got the same stuff you did, except the body is all poplar.
For pups, depends on how it's routed. If it's routed HSH, get a couple of pafs and a sensor or something, slap on a floyd rose trem, maybe some onboard effects.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
Quote by darkarbiter7
I got the same stuff you did, except the body is all poplar.
For pups, depends on how it's routed. If it's routed HSH, get a couple of pafs and a sensor or something, slap on a floyd rose trem, maybe some onboard effects.

Hve you got it yet? If so how was the quality?

Anyway, it has a swimming pool routing, which kinda sucks since I wanted to put a transparent pickguard, but since I don't have any solid plans yet I would like to hear some ideas.
Ippon
Amped
1,526 IQ
One of my schoolmates ordered the Ibanez-style body and neck. The body has some dings/dents, easy to fix if re-finishing. The big challenge is the neck, specifically the frets. Putting a ruler on top, we saw the frets were uneven or not sunk at the same level. In addition, it needs dressing since the edges are not filed evenly. Oh well, it's inexpensive and maybe he was just unlucky.

Hope yours is better.

darkarbiter7
i love amp
4,594 IQ
My body and neck are coming tommorow. There was a 36 buck neck and a 48 buck one. I got the more expensive one, hopefully that means that they pre dressed them.

The body I got doesn't need a pickguard, so i'm safe :P.
For a pickguard, maybe find a mirror finish one.
I'll post about the stuff once i get it!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at May 7, 2007,
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
Quote by Ippon
One of my schoolmates ordered the Ibanez-style body and neck. The body has some dings/dents, easy to fix if re-finishing. The big challenge is the neck, specifically the frets. Putting a ruler on top, we saw the frets were uneven or not sunk at the same level. In addition, it needs dressing since the edges are not filed evenly. Oh well, it's inexpensive and maybe he was just unlucky.

Hope yours is better.

So I guess a fret changing will be needed?

How hard is it to change the frets?

Also did the body and neck look or feel cheap besides the bad fretting?
darkarbiter7
i love amp
4,594 IQ
I got my stuff today!
The body is excellent. Very well carved and finished. the finish looks like something you'd see in a bowling ball from the 80's, but it's sweet. nice cream binding too!
As for the neck, all the frets are even, the fingerboard is finished (i think), and there is already holes for tuners. Looks like it needs a bit of sanding to make the nut fit, and to have it go in well into the neck pocket, but that's little stuff. Also, it had some of this crusty white crap on the frets, i assume it's clear coat from when they finished the neck, but that came off with about 10 minutes of scraping with a pick.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
Quote by darkarbiter7
I got my stuff today!
The body is excellent. Very well carved and finished. the finish looks like something you'd see in a bowling ball from the 80's, but it's sweet. nice cream binding too!
As for the neck, all the frets are even, the fingerboard is finished (i think), and there is already holes for tuners. Looks like it needs a bit of sanding to make the nut fit, and to have it go in well into the neck pocket, but that's little stuff. Also, it had some of this crusty white crap on the frets, i assume it's clear coat from when they finished the neck, but that came off with about 10 minutes of scraping with a pick.

Good to know that yours came well, I really apreciate this.

Does the neck feel sticky thou, cause if it is when I get mine I will refinish.
darkarbiter7
i love amp
4,594 IQ
Nope, not sticky.
There was some dirt or some kinda grease between some of the frets, but that came off.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
darkarbiter7
i love amp
4,594 IQ
It shouldn't.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Will_Minus
UG's nail-head-hitter
188 IQ
It will effect the tone, but it will be hard to notice.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
Quote by Will_Minus
It will effect the tone, but it will be hard to notice.

What about an empty space at the cavity, since I don't feel like having 3 pups, would it affect sustain or extra feedback?
Will_Minus
UG's nail-head-hitter
188 IQ
Having less pickups would probably improve sustain, as there is less magnetic force pulling the strings.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
Quote by Will_Minus
Having less pickups would probably improve sustain, as there is less magnetic force pulling the strings.

Good to know, as you guys probably noticed this is my first project, so there will be a few simple questions.
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
*Bump*

So I've been able to get tickets to Montreal, so the project should start in 2 weeks or so, I have pretty much decided on a swirl paint job and that's about it, give me your opinions on hardware and eletronics.

I want a good Death Metal distortion for the bridge and good cleans and shred from the neck ( Bareknuckles are out of my price range)
Justin Credible
344 IQ
For the bridge get an X2N, It's what Chuck used. I couldn't tell you to get in the neck position. If you wanna go active I'd suggest an EMG 81-60 set for the cleans.
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
Quote by Justin Credible
For the bridge get an X2N, It's what Chuck used. I couldn't tell you to get in the neck position. If you wanna go active I'd suggest an EMG 81-60 set for the cleans.

I was really thinkming about getting the X2N, but people seem to have very different opinions on it, for the neck I think it's gonna be a Paf Pro or Air Norton. I don't think I'll get EMGs on this one, might not sound good on poplar.
Ippon
Amped
1,526 IQ
Quote by Alexander_BR
*Bump*

So I've been able to get tickets to Montreal, so the project should start in 2 weeks or so, I have pretty much decided on a swirl paint job and that's about it, give me your opinions on hardware and eletronics.

I want a good Death Metal distortion for the bridge and good cleans and shred from the neck ( Bareknuckles are out of my price range)

Congrats! I bet you can't wait to work on that thing. Make sure you post vids like this guy Gustavo Guerra

darkarbiter7
i love amp
4,594 IQ
Or maybe pics for us dial up people.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
I will fill this thread with pics, and maybe a video during the swirling (actually I was thinking about doing a lame Pimp My Ride rip off with guitars called Pimp My Axe, with unfunny jokes and overreacting).

Edit: Me wishes I could play like Gustavo Guerra.
RadioMuse
Tab Contributor
264 IQ
If it's not out of the question price-wise then use Lace Sensor Drop & Gains, they're supposed to be the best passive metal pickups out there, and thanks to being passive (and Lace) they have wonderful clean tone.

For pots I suggest 500K, make sure they're ceramic waxed pots. That way they'll stay silent for years. Might be a good idea to wire the Laces so you can break up the coils too, maybe a 5 position switch that goes something like:

1- Bridge (whole pickup), 2- Bridge (1 coil), 3- Bridge & Neck, 4- Neck (1 coil), 5 Neck

Maybe?

As far as tremolos go genuine Floyd Rose are the best for serious use/abuse. Otherwise go for a two-point balanced trem (Fender Strat Plus style).
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
Quote by RadioMuse
If it's not out of the question price-wise then use Lace Sensor Drop & Gains, they're supposed to be the best passive metal pickups out there, and thanks to being passive (and Lace) they have wonderful clean tone.

For pots I suggest 500K, make sure they're ceramic waxed pots. That way they'll stay silent for years. Might be a good idea to wire the Laces so you can break up the coils too, maybe a 5 position switch that goes something like:

1- Bridge (whole pickup), 2- Bridge (1 coil), 3- Bridge & Neck, 4- Neck (1 coil), 5 Neck

Maybe?

As far as tremolos go genuine Floyd Rose are the best for serious use/abuse. Otherwise go for a two-point balanced trem (Fender Strat Plus style).

Those Lace look a bit expensive, but I might give them a look, does someone have any soundclips of them?

As for the bridge I want a FR, probably will get the Original.

Now a question, if I have a FR and locking nut, do the tuners have to locking ones or a normal set will do?
don't eat baby
678 IQ
^or you could try a schaller floyd, some people like them better than OFRs.
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
Quote by don't eat baby
^or you could try a schaller floyd, some people like them better than OFRs.

Is it more expensive than the OFR or are they around the same price?
don't eat baby
678 IQ
i'm pretty sure they're about the same. warmoth sells em for $5 cheaper than an OFR.
Thewongster
210 IQ
Hey I live in Montreal, why didnt you just ship the body straight to where you live, instead of Montreal?
don't eat baby
678 IQ
Quote by Alexander_BR
So does anyone here have a preference for Schallers over OFR?

well the reason i said that was, i was hanging with my cousin in st. louis, and his friend comes over with a caparison horus. its a fantastic guitar, and it had a schaller on it.
i've also played on my friend's soloist, which has an OFR, and i can safely say i like the schaller better. its less bulky, and just feels nicer to use. and tbh, it flat out looks nicer.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
wut is a luthier? im assuming it has to do with the luthern church
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
Quote by Thewongster
Hey I live in Montreal, why didnt you just ship the body straight to where you live, instead of Montreal?

It would cost a fortune to ship to Brazil, plus since my dad lives there I can do it with him while I'm there.

Quote by don't eat baby
well the reason i said that was, i was hanging with my cousin in st. louis, and his friend comes over with a caparison horus. its a fantastic guitar, and it had a schaller on it.
i've also played on my friend's soloist, which has an OFR, and i can safely say i like the schaller better. its less bulky, and just feels nicer to use. and tbh, it flat out looks nicer.

Good to know, I'll check out the Schallers.

What about tuners and pickups? Any ideas?

Edit: What about Gotoh Tremolos? Any good?
Last edited by Alexander_BR at Jun 22, 2007,
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
*Bump*

So I decided on the color scheme, it is going to have a swirl paint job in white and black, but I want it to be more white than black, so should I just put less black when I swirl?
don't eat baby
678 IQ
Quote by Alexander_BR

Good to know, I'll check out the Schallers.

What about tuners and pickups? Any ideas?

Edit: What about Gotoh Tremolos? Any good?

if you have a double locking trem, you won't need locking tuners because you have a locking nut, so i'd just go for some standard grovers or something.

i'd say maybe an X2N/Air Norton pair, if you want death metal and some cleans as well. what kind of amp are you running through?

i have no experience with gotoh trems, but you may want to look into kahlers. excellent designing there.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
wut is a luthier? im assuming it has to do with the luthern church
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
Quote by don't eat baby
if you have a double locking trem, you won't need locking tuners because you have a locking nut, so i'd just go for some standard grovers or something.

i'd say maybe an X2N/Air Norton pair, if you want death metal and some cleans as well. what kind of amp are you running through?

i have no experience with gotoh trems, but you may want to look into kahlers. excellent designing there.

Im using a Cube 60 but I might get a 5150 if I move to Florida, I'll check Kahlers also and thanks for the info on tuners.
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
Which models of Kahler bridges are good? Is the 7330K Fixed a good one?

Edit: So I'm thinking about doing the swirl job in two ways:

First option would be like this, except with more white than black

The second would be a swirl like the first, but with these colors

Any other color ideas are welcome.
Last edited by Alexander_BR at Jun 23, 2007,
sgtpeppers
UG's only superless hero
532 IQ
what how are you planinng on doing this your only 14 (or 15). its going to be hard i bet. gud luck, i hope nothing goes wrong

i prefer the black and white over the red.
yoyoyuyo

Guitars.........................Amp.................Pedals (getting new)
Ibanez S470................Laney VC15.....Boss DS-1 (it's bad)
PRS SE Soapbar II
Ibanez aw15 acoustic
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
Quote by sgtpeppers
what how are you planinng on doing this your only 14 (or 15). its going to be hard i bet. gud luck, i hope nothing goes wrong

i prefer the black and white over the red.

I've been reading projects here for around 2 years, I think I'm prepared.

Plus Calum made a ****ing nice project from scratch when he was around my age, I think I can do this. If it turns out horrible i'll just spray it white and keep it simple.

As for the colors I think white and black will be my choice.
tubab0y
old skool user.
1,326 IQ
age has nothing to do with it. if you take your time, anyone can do a nice guitar.

the jackson swirl is really freaking hard to do.

if you want more white than black, paint it white and swirl it black.

and all kahler bridges except the X series are good.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Alexander_BR
Would You Kindly?
1,534 IQ
Quote by XibanezedgeX
White/Black = . Simple colors and a complex design blended together in happiness. And for pickups the X2N is good as is the Norton or PAF Pro (my choice would be the PAF Pro because I'm all Paul Gilbert-obsessed). Are you also scalloping frets 20-24?

No scalloping, can the Paf Pro do good cleans? Cause originally it was Air Norton vs Paf Pro for the neck. I know both do good shred but I don't know about the cleans on the paf pro.