20 15%
Playability
43 33%
They are both crucial to me
62 48%
I play a box with EMGs installed.
5 4%
Voters: 130.
Well, I just though that this would be a good question to ask. I checked the rules, and the way I interpret them, this thread should be allowed. Also, the search bar is broken, so if someone can dig up a similar thread, I'll delete this one.

So, basically, I want to know what UG prefers when they play guitar: Do you want to have a fantastic, absolutely killer tone with complex harmonics or whatever you like, or would you rather have low action, fast neck, and effortless fret access?

Basically, which do you want more: A great tone, or a great playing guitar.

I'm aware that an amp contributes most to the tone, but it's still an aspect of electric guitar playing, so I put this here.

EDIT: Oops, I accidentally voted tone, but I wanted playability. Oh well.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
most if not all people would choose the 3rd option, I suggest that you remove it.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Both are crucial to me. That's why I play a Fender Strat.
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Both are crucial, but I chose tone. I still don't know why, though.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
thats why i love my epi sg.
it sounds great, and plays great.
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
Tone. You can adjust to the feel of a guitar, but if it sounds like shit, then it sounds like shit.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
i have a vintage es-175 thats a bitch to play, but it sounds amaing. besides, i like my guitar to fight back a little
Meh, you can get almost any tone you want to with the right amps/pedals and all. Even if a guitar sounds great, I couldn't enjoy it if it was uncomfortable.
Who dat?
no tone starts with the guitar, if the guitar sounds great acoustically even if its an electric than it will sound great plugged in, but playability is a subjective term that is different for everyone, like my guitar which has a low action, very fast neck, and jumbo frets, my friend hates it cause he likes the fender/gibson style neck w/ a higher action so playability is all in the eye of the beholder, but there are some guitars that are just plain crap *coughs* epiphone *clears throat* excuse me. but tone is also a subjective thing what might sound like silk to me might sound like crap to you so it all depends on your personal tastes.
theres allways a tradeoff on guitar where you have to find the happy middle which by some crazy coincidence is neever really happy
for me i value playability more because at the moment im not in a band and am pretty much a bedroom warrior/play for friends sometimes
so i value the ability to play over the tone
that might be a differnet story if i was gigging
playability. a good player can make a shit setup sound ok, but a shit player CAN NOT make a great setup good.

and i highly recommend removing the third choice, as its too obvious...

My mind is going. I can feel it.
i think i need both, but tone is definitely dominant... i could not stand to have a guitar that plays really well but sounds awful that would suck. so tone rules, but if i cant play the guitar comfortably to get that sweet tone, i probably wouldnt want the guitar either. so its pretty 50/50
For just the guitar, I would pick playability, as you can change the tone a lot more by the kind of amp you have. If you are including the amp, I would probably pick tone, as I feel weird if I dont have the tone I am used to.
The better the playability the easier for me it is to play, and the better the tone, the more i'm satistfied with my playing so both are crucial to my playing.
SG Commando #8, PM YOUNGBLOOD to join
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-6
Waiting On Vox VT15 or VT30
Both.

Given the choice, I don't know which I'd choose. If I had godlike tone, but my axe felt like my first guitar, I don't know if I could cope. On the other hand, I don't know if I could tolerate having a horrible tone, no matter how the guitar played.

I suppose if the guitar played very well and I could use it to play like a god, my bad tone wouldn't so much matter, I could find a way to make it sound good overall. The opposite is not true; my great tone would not make the guitar play any better. All the tone in the world wouldn't make any difference if I didn't have the chops.

So I suppose I'd have to choose playability, but both are crucial to me
Great playing for me
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
i dont even plug in a guitar to hear what it sounds like unless i like the feel and playablility. i hold it, use it with a strap, play unplugged, and if its nice then i get a cable and amp. plus, its cheaper for me to get new electronics and pickups than a new neck.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
I'd say playability. A good amp could compensate for sub-par tone, but you'll never get a good sound out of a guitar you can't play.
Both are very important, though i do favour playability a bit more.
I tend to test guitars out without an amp at my local store, one because the amps there are a bit shoddy and two because i cant be assed to ask to get hooked up, anyway when i do this I find out which guitars I really love, like tele's, I was a bit avoidant of, til i played one un-amped, LOVED the feel, then played one amped and was guitargasm'd, this was a mexican one too, havent tried an american, and a long long time ago i disliked strats, played an american, loved it playd it through an amp (only a bloody Marshall AVT) and it sounded great, through an AVT.

So yeah I test feel first, like with my current guitar, i played a wizard II neck, loved it.
Played an S520, loved the trem (and neck but that was covered), loved the body shape but wanted a single coil in the middle, so i got an S470 and it's a great guitar.
Tone is slightly more important to me. I want it to play well, but I do my own setups, so things aren't as perfect as a professional's setup. Nonetheless, I still am quite comfortable with my guitars' playability. Basically, the setup doesn't have to be right on for me. Sacrificing tone isn't an option, however.
I'd say both, tone doesn't mean shit if you can't play the guitar to the best of your ability. Playability doesn't matter all that much if your guitar sounds like crap.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i play EMG's, but, i would have to say tone is a little more crucial.

y would it matter if you play EMG's? they kick ass
you know in all honesty I think people are way to obsessed with tone. I think people should really stop bitching about what pickups/amps/cables/whatever they're using and just play the damn guitar.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^+1

Quote by 4HATECREW4
y would it matter if you play EMG's? they kick ass

cause some people worry more about being a "tone snob" and dissing other people's gear, than mastering how to play their own guitar.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
in the end, i'm a tone ***** and i will sacrifise a small amount of playability for a better tone. for example i use a les paul for its tone, but i can't really play above the 17th fret. it doesnt bother me too much though
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Anarion614
Meh, you can get almost any tone you want to with the right amps/pedals and all. Even if a guitar sounds great, I couldn't enjoy it if it was uncomfortable.

****in' A right.
i'd say both. if i can't play it, i won't like it, and if it sounds like a shoebox strung with elastic bands, i won't like it either. i've tuirned down guitars for both reasons, in other words (note, by tone i mean unplugged tone, not pickups, you can change pickups easily).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd say both. if i can't play it, i won't like it, and if it sounds like a shoebox strung with elastic bands, i won't like it either. i've tuirned down guitars for both reasons, in other words (note, by tone i mean unplugged tone, not pickups, you can change pickups easily).

Tut Tut, Dave MC.

Surely you of all people aren't suggesting the pickups would cure a guitar with bad tone??

Also of note, I played a £55 telecaster yesterday for a laugh. Through a Line 6 HD147. I nearly threw up.
and have to go with number 4

The versatility of a box is just to tempting to pass up.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by i(ncubus)play
Both are crucial to me. That's why I play a Fender Strat.

+infinity. Truer words have never been spoken.
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
How do I edit poll ?

In retrospect, It was a bad Idea. This is interesting that most people chose playability. And to this guy:

no tone starts with the guitar, if the guitar sounds great acoustically even if its an electric than it will sound great plugged in, but playability is a subjective term that is different for everyone, like my guitar which has a low action, very fast neck, and jumbo frets, my friend hates it cause he likes the fender/gibson style neck w/ a higher action so playability is all in the eye of the beholder, but there are some guitars that are just plain crap *coughs* epiphone *clears throat* excuse me. but tone is also a subjective thing what might sound like silk to me might sound like crap to you so it all depends on your personal tastes.

Tone does start with guitar, but like I said, anything you can do to achieve your tone is fair game.

And I realized that playability is subjective. I obviously meant having a guitar set up the way that YOU prefer it. so now you know.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by Vermintide
Tut Tut, Dave MC.

Surely you of all people aren't suggesting the pickups would cure a guitar with bad tone??

try reading my post again. you might get it this time.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
To me Tone comes from your playing technique and the clarity of it, not the sound of the guitar. But then I sometimes use tone to describe different woods.

I go by playabily and tone.
If I had to trade off one for the other I'd go with tone - you can get used to the way a guitar plays... but you can't change how it sounds.

However, I've got a Tom Anderson... so I'd say I've got perfect playability and great tone