Page 1 of 5
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Hey UG,

I have started a design for a Class A (Single Ended) tube amp. It's called the VF-10. It will be 5-10 watts so that it can be the perfect volume for cranking.

Heres some of the ideas of how it will sound, the design, and features:
*Vox-like Preamp: Pentode gain stage at the input and triode gain stage later on. The pentode is like what was used in the old Vox AC15s/30s. Triode gain stages are what are mostly in other amps. This will give me a medium-gain voxy preamp.
*Fender-like Poweramp: Single octal power tube to put out 5-10watts. In this power tube slot, a 6V6, 6L6, EL34, 6550, or KT66/77/88 can be plugged in for different tones. I chose this so that it can have nice Fendery break-up when cranked up.
*Controls: Volume to adjust preamp volume, Compression to adjust the compression, Vox style Treble and Bass tonestack, Master Volume to adjust the master level, Raw switch to turn off the tonestack for natural tone, and Master Volume off for removing the master volume.
*High Quality Components: Carbon Compound resistors, Mallory 150 style capacitors.
*Tagboard Construction: Tagboard point-to-point wiring like the vintage Voxes. (http://mhuss.com/AmpInfo/images/VoxTag.jpg)

I have ordered all the parts for my preamp to build, so I will post pictures when I get it. For now, heres a picture of the Tagboard strips I will be using. Yes, thats a VJ Board I am modding in the background.

Kerry
binjajer
UG's unlucky luthier
1,234 IQ
Looks fabulous! I

And, I am counting on full build documentation including schematics and maybe layouts?

And lots of pics please. This can be just an awesome amp.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
the_random_hero
UG's Fabricator
2,483 IQ
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Thanks! I will give a lot of pics, but no schematics

Just the way it should be. Keep us up to date, I'll be starting my build before too long. Just gotta get some funds
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
woodenbandman
Likes Dragonforce
1,139 IQ
^+1 on the damn soundclips.

Wait... I still need soundclips!.

I'll be sure to use that bad boy on the Blues Duel, Kerry.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
rafarquhar
771 IQ
I can't wait to see this, it looks very promising.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
RHCPfan01
UG Senior Member
530 IQ
do you think this could be sold on affectronix?
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Yes, and it probably will. I was looking to start doing amp sales this summer (besides the VJs) and if this turns out good, it will be what I sell. Hopefully it turns out good. I dont see why it wouldnt.

BTW, RHCP- Where in MD are you? I used to live in Owings Mills (Baltimore). I am actually going up to College Park for my sister's graduation on Friday thru Tuesday.
RHCPfan01
UG Senior Member
530 IQ
I live in Rockville, just 40 or 50 minutes from Owings Mills, but my brother lives in College Park, and actually graduates from UMD this weekend as well. Lots of cool guitar shops in the area too.
Guitar
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
hendriko
Purple is a Fruit
1,526 IQ
Quote by RHCPfan01
I live in Rockville, just 40 or 50 minutes from Owings Mills, but my brother lives in College Park, and actually graduates from UMD this weekend as well. Lots of cool guitar shops in the area too.

don't go back to....rockville
ba-da-dam

/R.E.M.

sounds awesome kerry
can't wait to hear it

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
RHCP- Hmm cool. Are you going? I am. Would be very funny if your bro knows my sister. Whats his name? My sister is Cammy.

cokeisbetter- I dont quite know the price, but all I can say is that it would be in price competition of the VJ lol. That thing is CHEAP!

Thanks, Kerry
cokeisbetter
Who?
1,905 IQ
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
cokeisbetter- I dont quite know the price, but all I can say is that it would be in price competition of the VJ lol. That thing is CHEAP!

Thanks, Kerry

Sweet! I'm already GAS-ing for one.
igotabcrich32
Is Dan
1,431 IQ
holy shit, Kerry. your progressing so fast with these things, looks like its going to be VERY nice.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
sempri_fi
Banned
1,001 IQ
looks good kerry

how many gain stages are you going to run in this? (just wondering)
and are you going to do the bass cut like the old topboost ac-30s? and how about a reverb or a tremolo?
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Yea thanks. It has 2 gain stages, the pentode and the triode. No bass cut, just normal Treble and Bass tonestack. No reverb or tremolo. Remember, this isnt a Vox amp. Its going to be Vox-like, but I am not taking the Vox features or design.
sempri_fi
Banned
1,001 IQ
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Yea thanks. It has 2 gain stages, the pentode and the triode. No bass cut, just normal Treble and Bass tonestack. No reverb or tremolo. Remember, this isnt a Vox amp. Its going to be Vox-like, but I am not taking the Vox features or design.

thats cool, you should be able to get plenty of gain out of that, i've always been partial to the vox sound, but it should be plenty versatile anyway
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
forsanken- Yea. I may do an 18watt version of it with dual EL84s in class AB, but that would be in the future. Let me know when you want to get the VJ. They are hard to come by now so let me know ahead of time.

sempri- THere will definately be a lot of gain. And I love voxy tone too. Remember, it has a tonestack removal switch (Raw) and master volume removal switch.
RHCPfan01
UG Senior Member
530 IQ
Quote by hendriko
don't go back to....rockville
ba-da-dam

/R.E.M.

sounds awesome kerry
can't wait to hear it

That song was written about the same Rockville in which I live. Michael Stipe had a girlfriend who lived in Rockville and she dumped him, so yea.
Kerry- I am going, but I doubt my brother knows you sister, my brother is sort of the loser/gamer type....
Guitar
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
buzz
Mr. Boll Weevil
1,989 IQ
Good stuff Kerry!! I noticed you were a bit quiet on the UG front for a while so I guess designing and planning this amp was what you were at!

Looking forward to seeing this.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

jof1029
GO HOKIES!
2,176 IQ
kerry, this sounds pretty sweet. i dunno about the switch to cut out the master volume though. could be a usefull feature, but im not sure

have you thought about making the two switch things footswitchable? or maybe just one of them. i dont know how hard that would be, but i think it would be very usefull to be able to cut out the tone stack mid song. gives some very interesting possibilites.

PS, RHCPfan01 i live in rockville, MD too (when im home from school like now anyways).
AndyPandy
Grumpy Young Man
699 IQ
Looks awesome. You could make some serious cash from this! just promise us that you wont suddenly increase your prices to rediculous levels. you could be a boutique builder, without outrageous price

i think it would be complete if it had some sort of reverb, but thats just personal taste.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
forsaken- just let me know when your ready like I said. Im here.

buzz- Yea I was gone for a little while right after the G*y_Queen, I mean Pink, problem.

jof- Believe it or not, many people like amps especially without Master Volume. They think it does something to the sound (even though it shouldnt really), but it gives people like that, that option. I could probably make them footswitchable, but it would just add to the amp cost which I am trying to keep as cheap as I can.

andy- thanks, I try to keep my prices low, but with the amp, it will cost a lot in parts so the price wont be "cheap". Plus its an amp build which obviously takes longer and harder, more careful worth than a pedal. And again, no reverb yet because it adds a lot to the cost.
cokeisbetter
Who?
1,905 IQ
^ G*y Queen? Huh?

Anyhoo. I like the idea of a master volume removal, as I'm a bit of a vintage-way-of-doing-things freak. I only wish I had the cash to buy something like this.

And dude, Kerry. At the rate you're going, you'll be the next Jim Marshall! I mean, seriously, you seem to really know what you're talking about with all this.
AndyPandy
Grumpy Young Man
699 IQ
Quote by call1800ksmyazz

andy- thanks, I try to keep my prices low, but with the amp, it will cost a lot in parts so the price wont be "cheap". Plus its an amp build which obviously takes longer and harder, more careful worth than a pedal. And again, no reverb yet because it adds a lot to the cost.

fair enough. you seem like a nice guy, i didn't think you'd get all high and mighty on us.

this sounds like my kind of amp though. i like the vox sound, but i also like a bit more gain too. cant wait!
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
^-Yea thanks. If you look at my pedal prices they are very cheap considering what the price of other boutique builders are. But, this is one thing I didnt understand before I built pedals... Those boutique guys deserve the prices they get (some of them). The parts for the pedal cost not much, but once you add it up, it gets higher. Then they order custom enclosures or have to pay a painter to paint (Zvex). They have someone else drill the enclosure (costs money). They have people shipping them (pay for someone that works in shipping and packing). Needs somewhere to work (may rent out a place). So as you can see, it costs money to make them, a lot. I keep it cheaper cause I drill, ship, paint, etc... myself in my own home. So I can keep prices low for now. Once/if I get big, I will need at least 1-2 other people to ship and drill and stuff since all my time will be built up on building the amps myself and trying not to get months to years or backorders like many other boutique builders.

If you look at Boss, they use surface mount components which barely cost anything, they are made by machine onto boards in a factory, there are barely wires (most is just connected on the board, not much to hand assemble. They can produce so many of them at a time and sell them that they can afford to have workers. They sell the pedals fairly cheap, but they sell large quantities.

Hope this helps to explain all.
Kerry
Last edited by call1800ksmyazz at May 15, 2007,
TwoString
AKA Chad
1,601 IQ
Ha...Pink...what a joke!!!

Kerry has been a blessing to this forum. A true community mind, not someone driven for profit or superiority on a guitar forum like others...with colors for their user names...*cough*

Kerry has given away more for free than he'll ever probably make back on his creativity. Yes, with a lot of effects and amp designs, there really isn't anything new under the sun, but this is the difference between buying the mystery box that keeps everything inside a secret and the box that tells you everything up front. Hopefully you make it big and give me a job (hey, I've built a compressor...I'm a pro now!! ).

As far as your price point goes, how much of a difference would the reverb circuit make? I know you have to add a tube or two, the tank, and I'm sure the labor to fit all of that in the case takes some time, but how much of a price increase would that be?
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
^-Wow thanks! I just checked out your comp build and you did a great job. Dont know if you set it all up organised orif it came like that, but its a great way to start everything. With the parts out and labeled.

Well to add the reverb circuit, I would need to add probably another tube and 1-3 pots (dwell, mix, and tone). Also, I probably wouldnt do reverb tanks at first either because it would take more time to build that in to the amp and at first I just want to keep it a bit simpler for me so I can make more and spread the amp around. Plus, if its a success, I will have time to design another amp for different tones and maybe end up with a reverb amp or tremolo amp.
TwoString
AKA Chad
1,601 IQ
^laid out the parts like that myself...more time was spent doing that than the actual build.

EDIT - removed previous comment - replaced with a simple "blargh"...see Kerry's comments below.
Last edited by TwoString at May 15, 2007,
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
PMed back, na wouldnt work. Thanks for the suggestion though. And if someone is interested that posts you can tell them. Its no big deal, dont worry haha
sempri_fi
Banned
1,001 IQ
it'd be easy to add a footswitch using relays, i was thinking more twards having different channels, so you could just tap a button and go from crazy overdrive to jazz clean, that'd be a useful feature. i would require that the relay switched the volumes and the tonestack at the same time, which is decently simple, you can use more than one relay for a single switch. maybe dont put it on this amp but another one in the future perhaps.

oh, and you could always run the reverb as ss only, that'd save quite a bit of cash not having an extra tube and all.

and totally kerry, if you play your cards right, you could be the next big thing in amplification.
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
^-Yea but like I said I dont want to do that stuff into an amp yet because of adding to cost.

Actually, tube reverb would be much easier to add than SS reverb, and it would sound better.
sempri_fi
Banned
1,001 IQ
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
^-Yea but like I said I dont want to do that stuff into an amp yet because of adding to cost.

Actually, tube reverb would be much easier to add than SS reverb, and it would sound better.

true that, and it might be easyer and sound better, but im betting you could do it for cheaper with ss, either way, im a big fan of simple amps, so you're probably onto a good thing with this.
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!
1,824 IQ
i really dig the switches. I love Vox tone, and Fender's poweramp saturation. This amp's gonna be the bomb.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard