Page 1 of 2
sk8ing_hurtz
181 IQ
which should i get? im going to be playing a mix a couple types of rock and blues.
zwound
Rainbow plateau
3,669 IQ
I'd go SSS to be completely sex, but HSS will add to rock, but reduce blues power....while SSS will add blues power and reduce rock (not neccessarily...in fact i love single coil rock)
R_H_C_P
UG's God.
1,984 IQ
SSS!

Traditional strats FTW!

I think the humbuckers in Strats are blasphemous.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
zwound
Rainbow plateau
3,669 IQ
^ yeah, i agree with you on that. the HSS strat i have..i hate the humbucker...kind of
AdamDK
Meh.
2,296 IQ
Gte the S-S-S. For classic rock, and blues and other stuff with a lot of cleans, the single coils are much better.

Bridge Single > Bridge Hum anyday.
rhcp_freak
UG Spammer
2,981 IQ
Yeah, if you want a humbucker, buy a Gibson. If you want 3 singles, buy a Strat, and don't ever try to mix those two together.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
I'd go with the SSS myself, I played an SSS Strat and Showmaster on a 6505 playing modern metal and i was suprised at how good they actually sounded eventhough they weren't humbuckers. So I don't think they'll give you a problem. Could always put hotrails in it anyway.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Gabel
UG's Swede
4,239 IQ
Plus in my opinion with a humbucker in a Strat you don't really get a "fat" humbucker tone anyway, it still has that Strat feeling in the sound. I think SSS is better in Strats. The only nice humbucker Strat I know is the Charvel EVH series.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
hardrock1315
Thought @ Work
3,512 IQ
Quote by zwound
I'd go SSS to be completely sex, but HSS will add to rock, but reduce blues power....while SSS will add blues power and reduce rock (not neccessarily...in fact i love single coil rock)

For blues you'll probably be using the neck pickup, so it'll be the same anyway.

I'd say go for the HSS, it's gonna be more versatile, and you basically can't do anything remotely heavy with the SSS.
cokeisbetter
Who?
1,905 IQ
I've got an HSS Strat. To tell you the truth, it's kinda nice, but also annoying at the same time. The bridge cleans are really meh, I think because the Strat tone combined with the humbucker ends up kinda strange. However, the bridge is pretty nice on distortion. Ever since I got it, though, I've been moving away from rock tones and towards blues, so it's kinda cramping my style. I think if I get new pickups, I'll go SSS.
wonder725
499 IQ
SSS. Most strat players don't use the bridge pickup often anyways.
LesPaulStrat
UG Fanatic
2,140 IQ
Quote by wonder725
SSS. Most strat players don't use the bridge pickup often anyways.

what~!?

the bridge is the twangy part of the strat that gives it a unique sound
wonder725
499 IQ
neck p-up ftw. Gives it the signature strat sound. Telecasters are for twang.
sre9981
Woo!
802 IQ
I <3 my HSS Strat, its very versitile and really gets a better (imo) rhythm feel when using the bridge pickup, plus it loses a lot of the twangy distortion that the single bridge pickup gets, which I like for playing heavier stuff. If you mainly want to play blues and rock however, the SSS strat fits perfectly.
Tom Martin
Busy busy busy
1,157 IQ
I've got an SSS strat, but I want to put a hot-rail of sorts into it. I almost never use the bridge singlecoil for cleans, so if I shoved a rail in there... It'd give me the thicker distortion sounds I'd be looking for

Strats rule.
louie_dogg
76 IQ
i'd say SSS i played both and i had to go with the SSS.

and wtf to the person who said strat players dont use bridge pup.
RG_FANMAN
is stealing your pedals
2,557 IQ
Get the SSS, and if need be, down the road, route it for a Humbucker.
FoolOnThePlanet
Listen to the pillows
6,124 IQ
Quote by bob_sanchez69
You should try both out and the one you like the most you should get.

Agreed..

I had the same dilemma, but in the end I went HSS. It's great actually...I mean, SSS is the tradition for strats, but I wasn't dissapointed with their H, it handled my pedals really well and sounds orgasmic through my Twin....
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
ScottishAngus
33 IQ
hss ftw
bridge singlecoil ftl
neck and middle together ftw
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
JOEYPWNSU
One Love
711 IQ
Sss Ftw!!!
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
garden of grey
Banned
348 IQ
I love my HSS strat.

What kind of "rock" do you play? That is a broad term. Having a bridge humbucker for distortion will do wonders in some cases.

I don't mind the lack of a bridge single coil, as all of my cleans are on the neck pretty much.
sk8ing_hurtz
181 IQ
mmm i play like avenged sevenfold and and stuff like chiodos and silverstien

im just gonna go with the hss...cuz when i play distortion i always use the bridge pickup and when i play blues i always use the neck pickup. i never use the bridge pickup for cleans...
This_Kidd
Chillax!
1,525 IQ
S-S-S for sure. Classic, perfect. If you want humbuckers don't look at strats. It's not like you need to switch between a humbucker and a single coil mid song, and to be honest switching between them doesn't sound right IMO, the change in tone should come from neck > bridge, not single coil > humbucker.
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
sk8ing_hurtz
181 IQ
....who said anything about changing pickups mid song?

im not talking about switching between them. im talking about playing say.. slayer and then playing stevie ray vaughn.
surfer12
14 IQ
man I have a Highway 1 Strat S-S-S and I'm blues all the way but i don't use the bridge pickup, that's why im thinking of changing it to a humbucker to get an AC/DC sound or whatever rock(led zeppelin...). What should I buy as humbucker? would a Seymour Duncan do the job?
Last edited by surfer12 at Jun 8, 2007,
Nick_
as I sd to my
38 IQ
Certainly SSS

the only time I'll get anything remotely strat with a humbucker is when I can afford a Tyler.
CORT noob
Ug's Secret Hero
759 IQ
I'd go SSS, If you get HSS, the pots won't match the pickups.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
aleister
the illustrious
364 IQ
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Get the SSS, and if need be, down the road, route it for a Humbucker.

Standard strats come routed HSH.

To the asshat who said you won't be able to play anything "remotely heavy" on an SSS strat, exactly how much experience do you have playing with single coils anyway? I get better metal rhythm tone than my buddy Jayme's Jackson Dinky does with my neck single, so basically, piss off.

Not to mention that a good Strat single coil will be about a million times hotter than your average Fender humbucker at any rate... I've seen this first hand also.

If you're going to buy a strat, buy a STRAT, not a bull**** HSS guitar with Stratocaster on the headstock.
XtAsY2007
785 IQ
Well I have had experience with all the different pickup configurations in strats. SSS, HSS and HSH.

Firstly, let me say there is NOTHING wrong with humbuckers in stratocasters. Yes you lose that twangy bridge single coil sound and yes you will take away alot of the classic tonal characteristics that a stratocaster is famous for. However, if you love the feel and playability of the stratocaster and your musical tastes are based around heavy rock and metal, then having a humbucker in the bridge of a stratocaster is awesome. Take Iron Maiden, they use stratocasters and either play with either single coil sized humbuckers or full sized humbuckers and they sound AWESOME. For the person that said the sound is still crammed full of strattyness when using bridge, thats certainly not true. The SSS configuration is great for the classic fender twang, the the cleans are nicer using the neck position no doubt. The HSS setup is great because you get an awesome distorion (throw in a Super Distortion and stratocasters are awesome for metal and stuff) but you still keep the nice neck clean tone. The HSH setup I very much like and is my main stratocaster actually. I have a Super Distortion in the bridge which is an awsome pickup for rock and metal, a single soil in the middle and a PAF Pro in the neck. What these gives me is a great high gain smooth lead tone from the neck (check out my rate my tone thread to hear it), and a great twangy Fenderish tone when the humbuckers are combined with the middle single coil, so you do not completely lose the classic stratocaster characteristics. There is NOTHING wrong with humbuckers on stratocasters so put them in with confidence if you feel you want to!
untitled039
UG's Feedback *****
891 IQ
You could get this:

It's like a Strat in a SG body and the pickups are a bit harsher, but the downside is there is only about 400 of them and they probably cost a million dollars each
This_Kidd
Chillax!
1,525 IQ
Quote by sk8ing_hurtz
....who said anything about changing pickups mid song?

im not talking about switching between them. im talking about playing say.. slayer and then playing stevie ray vaughn.

In that case, wouldn't you rather have 1 guitar suited to playing SRV/ Blues (alot of blues is bridge single coil too) and then one suited to playing slayer.

I mean, if you wanna play a SRV song then a Slayer song, switch guitars between songs, because you're going to have to fiddle with your amp and fx pedals to change the tone anyway. It's not like you could play SRV on the neck pup then switch to the humbucker and rip a Slayer riff out straight away anyway, unless you're using a metal pedal?

Anyway I say S-S-S and then switch to a different guitar if you want a humbucker tone.
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
TRH
136 IQ
get an american deluxe hss. i customized mine a bit with two chrome dome lace sensors, a lace hemi humbucker, and a black and and silver pickguard, i love it. that humbucker gets a great punch to it.
Zevon Saves
Nebjy
UG's Retard-o-bot
448 IQ
GEt a HSS
with:

COIL TAPS!

Coil taps is the answer to all the dispute over humbuckers and single coils!
I don't even shred
Nebjy
UG's Retard-o-bot
448 IQ
Quote by TRH
get an american deluxe hss. i customized mine a bit with two chrome dome lace sensors, a lace hemi humbucker, and a black and and silver pickguard, i love it. that humbucker gets a great punch to it.

Mexican > american
I don't even shred