Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know for sure what scale "1 b2 3 #4 5 6 b7" is?

I was fiddling around, and thought it sounded cool. To me, it sounds like a combination of mixolydian and double harmonic major; it obviously isn't, but it sounds that way to me.

So, would this be Mixolydian b2 #4? Are there any other names for it?
Quote by WootSticks
Lydian flat-seven? Isn't that a real scale, though?

Hmm. It could be Lydian Dominant b2? According to what I've searched for it could be called that...
Bah, I didn't notice the b2. H/W Diminished with no major third? Your name for it sounds more correct, though. It does sound neat.
Errr...a sharp and a flat in the same scale? Wtf?

Quote by Spamwise
It would be a b5 and than a 5, instead of a #4 and a 5, correct?

Yea, this would make sense.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Spamwise

No, I have an augmented fourth in it, like Lydian.
Quote by musiclover2399
Augmented 4th (#4) and diminished 5th (b5) are the same note, otherwise known as the tritone I believe.

Yeah, but I'm using it as the fourth degree in this case.
Dorian #4. The fourth mode of the Harmonic minor scale.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by st.stephen
^No Dorian is b3, not b2. It's like Phrygian without the b3 or something.

Whoopsie. didnt see that. I thought it was: 1 2 b3 #4 5 6 b7

Edit: It could be the HW scale without the augmented 2.
DANNY

hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at May 14, 2007,
Quote by Spamwise

no,why?? you can't repeat an interval... 1-2b-3-5b-5-6-7b
where did the four go??

1-2b-3-4-5b-5-6-7b wouldn't be right either
Quote by DeathDealer
no,why?? you can't repeat an interval... 1-2b-3-5b-5-6-7b
where did the four go??

1-2b-3-4-5b-5-6-7b wouldn't be right either

Apparently you can repeat an interval, even in 7-note scales, like the altered scale. I don't know why specifically, but I'm researching it anyway.

The more I think about it, I'm starting to think it's simply Lydian Dominant with a b2...
The Dayn Scale.

It obviously has no common name, so call it whatever you want as long as you know what it sounds like and how to use it - that's all that matters. A rose by any other name...
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
The Dayn Scale.

It obviously has no common name, so call it whatever you want as long as you know what it sounds like and how to use it - that's all that matters. A rose by any other name...

Not if you call 'em crapweeds. I guess Lydian Dominant b2 it is.
Quote by Dayn
Apparently you can repeat an interval, even in 7-note scales, like the altered scale. I don't know why specifically, but I'm researching it anyway.

uuuh,no
you can repeat notes,but not intervals...you either add or subtract on to it,you could make an 8 tone scale with one of the examples i posted above
Quote by DeathDealer
uuuh,no
you can repeat notes,but not intervals...you either add or subtract on to it,you could make an 8 tone scale with one of the examples i posted above

Here we go, a thread I posted in about a mode question regarding the altered scale. Only seven notes, but I'm starting to make sense of it all.

I really need that jazz theory book, whenever they can actually order it in...
Quote by DeathDealer
uuuh,no

I'm not quite understanding you, surely if you are repeating the same notes you are repeating the same interval?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
I'm not quite understanding you, surely if you are repeating the same notes you are repeating the same interval?

maybe i should have omitted the note part...when creating a scale you can't repeat an interval,you would add 1 on to it out of the 12 possible notes,or subtract from it,like the pentatonic has 5 intervals

what John is talking about are altered chords,you couldn't write a scale like that cause basically you would have repeating intervals where they really don't belong since they are essentially one interval on top of another...an altered scale on the other hand is just a scale with all but the root note flatted:
1-2b-3b-4b-5b-6b-7b
see,in the scale there are no repeating intervals. in chords this differs,altered chords are dominant chords with added tensions: 9b,9#,5b,13b

you would use a dominant scale over that
basically it's just subs, the 2 for 9 & 6 for 13...you wouldn't write 2b in a chord
& like John is saying,since the third is still present in the chord & not flatted you write it off as a 9#
chord voicing is a very intriquite machine
Half-Whole Diminished Scale
1-b2-b3-3-#4-5-6-b7

You just excluded the flattened third

/thread
Quote by Scooch
1-b2-b3-3-#4-5-6-b7

/thread

hmmm,you are correct...
Quote by WootSticks
Bah, I didn't notice the b2. H/W Diminished with no major third? Your name for it sounds more correct, though. It does sound neat.

I /threaded it first. Though I did say major third, but that was a typo, and i got my point across. :p

And deathdealer is correct. The word you are looking for is diatonic, I believe. Seven note 'names' per scale, I think is what you mean. Like, you can't have a scale with C D E F G A A# C, is that what you mean? ...I think so. o.o
Quote by Scooch
1-b2-b3-3-#4-5-6-b7

/thread

Said it first

Edit: Wait, wootsticks said it first.
DANNY

Remove the submediant degree from Lydian Dominant b2 and you'll have the Tritone or Devil's scale
Geez, must people have a special name for each unique combination of accidentals?

If I must give this a name, it would be "the major scale with accidentals".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I call it 'Brian'.
I've called other scales 'Nigel' and 'Dominique'.

Dominique is a dirty, dirty scale.
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
The **** did I just read?!
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by Dayn
Does anyone know for sure what scale "1 b2 3 #4 5 6 b7" is?

I was fiddling around, and thought it sounded cool. To me, it sounds like a combination of mixolydian and double harmonic major; it obviously isn't, but it sounds that way to me.

Doesn't matter what it's called, what matters is how are you going to use it.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
Quote by AlanHB
Geez, must people have a special name for each unique combination of accidentals?

If I must give this a name, it would be "the major scale with accidentals".

This. Who cares about the names.

And I would call it "overtone scale with b2." But really, just base your playing in a major or minor scale and use accidentals when you feel like it. It's always cool to say that you are playing in lydian dominant blablabla scale but does it make you a better musician? Just learn to use the notes and forget the "cool" names. They just make you more confused.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
wow haha MT was silly in 2007
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Dayn

Is there really any reason to give it a name?
Quote by NoisiNinja
Remove the submediant degree from Lydian Dominant b2 and you'll have the Tritone or Devil's scale

Bitch gtfo

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I.... Didn't catch a necro bump??!!!! No!!!!!!!
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Page 1 of 2