Page 4 of 20
Cool quote about Jeff:
"...Somewhere during the evening they drifted into a club, where Soundgarden's dark grunge valentine, 'Black Hole Sun', was blaring over the PA. Buckley raced through the crowd, not stopping until he reached the middle of the dance floor. Then he began to wail. 'He sang the song in a full screaming loud voice while doing the full rock star pose and moves along with the song.' Norrell laughed. 'A lot of the club-goers were looking at him strangely.' Norrell was amused, but he just couldn't stop himself from listening closely. Despite being in the thick of a wild Manhattan night, Buckley still nailed the song. 'Even when he was screwing around musically, it always sounded amazing,' Norrell said."

Quote by pwninator123
I have:
Grace
Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk (2-disc)
So Real: Songs From Jeff Buckley
and Live At Sin-E

Nice. Next step would be Live at L'Olympia, then Mystery White Boy (worth it just for "I Woke Up In A Strange Place") and finally Songs to No One 1991-1992.
Quote by Acoustic#3
Nice. Next step would be Live at L'Olympia, then Mystery White Boy (worth it just for "I Woke Up In A Strange Place") and finally Songs to No One 1991-1992.

Oh hell yeah!
I think jeff buckley is great
Last edited by ripitkyle77 at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by pwninator123
Jeff Buckley was a god among men, and in my opinion the greatest singer this world will ever see

he had a 6-octave range! Freddie Mercury had 4!

Well... Jeff did have an incredible range, and he had great control over all the parts of his voice and could flow through them with no problem, as he displayed in all of his live reocordings.

however his range was not 6 octaves

His range, as it's been reocrded, was A2 to E flat 6
which is just a bit shy of 4 octaves

so sorry, but not quite 6.

Although, if you ask me, anything over 4 is pretty much useless.
There is a certain point where the human voice just does not sound decent anymore, low and high.

as for the Black Hole Sun thing
I almost cried knowing that I was not there to hear that
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
A 4 octave voice is still incredible nonetheless. I got Jeff Buckley: So Real today, and Eternal Life (Road Version) scared the shit out of me

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Last edited by Zero-Hartman at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by Zero-Hartman
A 4 octave voice is still incredible nonetheless. I got Jeff Buckley: So Real today, and Eternal Life (Road Version) scared the shit out of me

oh absolutely
Jeff Buckley is by far one of my favorite singers, only falling behind maybe Myles Kennedy, Tony Kakko and Ted Neeley

and Eternal Life (Road Version) just blows me away everytime I hear it
Quote by sluffinator

Quote by ScreamingCheeto

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Anyone else saw the advert for 'So Real' on TV? I thought it was a new Greatest Hits released just to cash in on the X Factor usage of the album... Basically because the words 'So Real' aren't mentioned once. Guess it's slightly better that it's an already existing Greatest Hits re-released to cash in on it than a new one.
Here's an interesting one:

"Chris Dowd recalled how Thom Yorke appeared in the moshpit at one of Buckley's New York shows, but left the gig well before it ended, much to Buckley's dismay. 'It bothered him a lot, enough to where he mentioned it to me,' said Dowd. 'I told him he probably heard you sing in person and got freaked and left. As far as artistic respect goes, well, Thom Yorke was a contemporary and when he walked out, Jeff was like, "I must have sucked that night". But, if Ok Computer doesn't sound like Jeff singing, I don't know what. It's freakish. You listen to Pablo Honey and The Bends and then listen to Ok Computer and there's this quantum change in his voice, a really weird inflection. 'When I was living London,' Dowd continued, 'a friend of mine said: "Did you hear Radiohead on the BBC? They were playing Grace." And I was like, aha, there you go. Meanwhile, Jeff went to his grave thinking Thom Yorke hated his voice.'"
That's awesome, poor Jeff. I heard Thom wrote Fake Plastic Trees after being so moved and overwhelmed at a Jeff Buckley gig, that might've been the one (if the legend is true, of course).

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
That's awesome, poor Jeff. I heard Thom wrote Fake Plastic Trees after being so moved and overwhelmed at a Jeff Buckley gig, that might've been the one (if the legend is true, of course).

The legend is true. Here's a full review (mentions Radiohead near the end):

"September 1, 1994, The Garage in London's Finsbury Park. Jeff Buckley removes his shirt. The first three rows - entirely comprised, it seems, of smitten women - swoon en masse. The room ripples with sweat and electricity throughout the heady song which follows. As it finishes, one girl yells in a desperate, yearning tone, "Have my babies!" "And mine!" shouts another. Jeff laughs. "Hey I gotta show to do."

"This one has taken on almost mythic status among Buckley fans, with good reason; it might be the most harrowing and disturbing performance he ever gave, and it certainly engendered the magnificently angry "road version" of Eternal Life. The final encore starts breezily enough, with a relaxed Jeff joking about a lost phone number and dedicating the song to a fan ...and then to "someone else". Nina Simone's beseeching All That I Ask morphs into Big Star's Kangaroo and then into Jeff's own Chocolate improvisation, here stretched and extended into the kind of wired, spontaneous theatre which might have made Jim Morrison proud. It's a descent into the underworld, a stream-of-consciousness assault on stores of memory and desire, a devastating self-flagellation.("There you stare, your finger twisting your red hair, your accusations flying from you, oh you call me a liar, a cheater, you call me a *****..") It's sometimes violent, sometimes erotic, sometimes tender, sometimes terrifying, and so painfully intimate that it becomes overwhelming to witness. "Some day I'd like to become you and to know what it's like to feel me inside...when I wake up in your hair, when I wake up in your arms, I swear upon my blood I understand you, I swear on my grave I understand you..." A Sony executive in the audience later sent him a memo asking him not to repeat the half-hour encore, claiming he was failing to "do justice to himself as an entertainer." Jeff reacted by turning his song Eternal Life into a vicious piece of hardcore directed straight at the music business he so mistrusted. However, Thom Yorke, who was in the audience that night, was reduced to tears. Bassist Colin Greenwood told UK music magazine Mojo how Radiohead returned to the studio after the show and recorded their classic Fake Plastic Trees - a performance which had been eluding them for days." - Clare O'Brien

Funnily enough, this all happened only a few weeks before that gig in New York. I guess Buckley was unaware of Thom's previous attendance.
Last edited by Acoustic#3 at Jan 25, 2009,
How very interesting, cheers for that! Did that half-hour long encore get recorded?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by halvies
does anyone feel that grace is really good morning music?

i do

Its good anytime music
Quote by hippotato7
so its called Grace then?

I would have called it Mojo Pin

I was gonna call her Lilac Wine
Quote by hippotato7
Its good anytime music

I listened to that album for almost 12 hours straight and I was happier than I had ever been in my life. I felt like I had figured everything out and had everything I could want. Whenever I feel down I can listen to that album and feel way better, despite how melancholy the entire album is. It's mesmerizing.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by hippotato7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfLtyJAASfc

love it or hate it, thats Scarlett Johansen's cover of "Last Goodbye"

I admit I was almost afraid to click on that link.

Certainly an interesting take on it given the comparative limitations of her voice. It was a tad boring for my liking, but not neccesarily bad. Not sure why the last minute and a bit was there considering there was no music, but eh.
Well, hate is a bit of a strong word. It was already a great song, so the hard work was already done for her. This is certainly an improvement over that Tom Waits disaster album, but her delivery still sounds as if she's doing a jingle for Clear Eyes. She's got no soul.

To conclude:
Safe. Direct hit with the target audience. Dentist offices around the world will be proud.
Quote by hippotato7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfLtyJAASfc

love it or hate it, thats Scarlett Johansen's cover of "Last Goodbye"

that actually was not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

so does not have much soul in her voice but I tolerated it much more than many other Jeff Buckley coves out there.

and Acoustic#3
well said
Dentist offices wil love it haha
Quote by sluffinator

Quote by ScreamingCheeto

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

I love Live À L'Olympia, Jeff has a great sense of humour that doesn't come across in Grace. His 45rpm version of Kashmir is hilarious

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I love Live À L'Olympia, Jeff has a great sense of humour that doesn't come across in Grace. His 45rpm version of Kashmir is hilarious

You're telling me.

I saw 'Kashmir' on the tracklisting, and thought, "Ooh, this'll be interesting", and then was in hysterics for about five minutes afterwards.
A 45 bpm cover of Kashmir? That's the most compelling concept I've ever heard of...
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Nice, I should get that.

I only have Grace.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Zero-Hartman

True, he was really funny.

I love his comment on the deluxe version of Live at Sin-é:
"It's Sin-é, where am i gonna go... backstage? Of course if i did walk through walls, i would be the greatest gig you've ever been to"

Or when he's messing around after the Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn cover:
"I'm a ridiculous person and you're lucky you've payed no money to see me"
Quote by flabber.gast
True, he was really funny.

I love his comment on the deluxe version of Live at Sin-é:
"It's Sin-é, where am i gonna go... backstage? Of course if i did walk through walls, i would be the greatest gig you've ever been to"

Or when he's messing around after the Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn cover:
"I'm a ridiculous person and you're lucky you've payed no money to see me"

I busted out laughing when he told the sound guy to crank up the reverb and he did a Jim Morrison impression. He really is a ridiculous person, how could he be cracking jokes after some of the most emotional songs I've ever heard?
Quote by stevenpollock
I love it when he makes fun of other artists songs and style. I don't know what they're on but on youtube they'res a clip of him and he starts playing smells like teen spirit but makes up lyrics like "Oooh were alternative, gonna die my hair" and stuff and theres a hilarious one where he makes up a Morrisey song with lyrics like "and the apples all have razorblades, but nobody cares anymore" very funny stuff
I got Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk the other day, and as expected, it's amazing. Also, I saw his Live In Europe DVD in Big W for $10, so I'm going to get it tomorrow, and watch it on Friday night with some grape and hops.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I got Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk the other day, and as expected, it's amazing. Also, I saw his Live In Europe DVD in Big W for $10, so I'm going to get it tomorrow, and watch it on Friday night with some grape and hops.

Fannytastic. Did you get the version with Gunshot Glitter? Back In NYC and Demon John are a couple of my favorites. His only official dvd is the Chicago gig, so "Live In Europe" is probably a bootleg. Most likely the Glastonbury and/or Sudbahnhof shows. Both highly recommended.

The next official release comes out on June 2nd. Grace Around the World, which is a dvd/cd compilation of live performances. The deluxe package comes with the documentary Amazing Grace.

Worth it for just for a higher quality version of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrE2BfVvvNY&feature=channel_page
I heard about that, cannot wait. I think it was Live In Europe anyway. I just saw some Jeff for ten bucks and thought hell yea.

And I got the Gunshot Glitter one too, not ventured into Disc 2 yet though. Might have to though

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I should point out that it was actually Live In Chicago I bought today. It's from the 1995 Mystery White Boy tour.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I heard about that, cannot wait. I think it was Live In Europe anyway. I just saw some Jeff for ten bucks and thought hell yea.

And I got the Gunshot Glitter one too, not ventured into Disc 2 yet though. Might have to though

Disc 2 mostly consists of recordings he did in his shotgun shack. Picture him composing into a 4-track tape recorder that's propped up on an old milk crate. It's amazing how he achieved all those sounds, especially in Back In NYC. He bought a pile of used Michael Bolton albums as tape fodder to record over.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
I should point out that it was actually Live In Chicago I bought today. It's from the 1995 Mystery White Boy tour.

His rant before Grace is classic.
Last edited by Acoustic#3 at Apr 29, 2009,
Quote by halvies
i think my parents have that. I haven't listened to good ol' Jeffy for a long time.

His vocals are amazing in Chorpus Christi Carol, very out there song though

If it wasnt for that song, there wouldn't be Origin of Symmetry