hurlyz
My name is Karim
1,753 IQ
Does anybody know a free (or "free-if-you're-smart") program that I could use to slow down songs (or parts of songs) without changing pitch?? For tabbing it'd be helpful since I'm a begginer and slowing down fast parts would help me much!

Thanks
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Nick_
as I sd to my
38 IQ
Audacity will do it

WMP or Quicktime, depending what OS you use will do it though.
EZLN libertad
Pisser of cute avatars
1,944 IQ
the amazing slow downer ftw!
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
hurlyz
My name is Karim
1,753 IQ
Doesn't Audacity lower the pitch?? I think it does.

---EDIT---
Well, do I have to use the "slow down speed" or the "slow down tempo" effect?? Maybe that's what I was doing wrong loll
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance

hurlyz
My name is Karim
1,753 IQ
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Try both and find out, lazy goose!

Slow tempo

Quote by Resiliance

WootSticks
Bonned
74 IQ
Quote by EZLN libertad
the amazing slow downer ftw!

Lol, that came with my Essential Elements 2000 book. It lowers the pitch, but it also plays the regular pitch, so there's two parts playing at the same speed, one really low and one at normal pitch.

...Don't get it.
casualty01
Here all along
2,622 IQ
Quote by WootSticks
Lol, that came with my Essential Elements 2000 book. It lowers the pitch, but it also plays the regular pitch, so there's two parts playing at the same speed, one really low and one at normal pitch.

...Don't get it.

Sorry brother, but you either have the wrong program or you simply have no clue what you're on about.

the Amazing Slow Downer is simply the best tool out there that I found in my 6 years of teaching and professional transcribing gigs. You can slow it down to the point where cooley sounds like a 1st week pentatonic student, you can change pitch a full octave, loop a single section down to the frame (75fps), you can 9 different loops per track (that's hot keyed in the program, not saved loops in their own seperate .wav file, which of course, you can save infinite files), a full EQ, various playback modes such as karaoke, stereo and mono so you can really isolate the sound you're looking for and an amazingly simply and compact set of keyboard shortcuts.

if there's any advice I can impart that you might listen to in this thread is this... ignore wootsticks and get the amazing slow downer. It costs like 39.95. If you're not willing to pay that much for the most valuable musical tool you'll buy in the next ten years, then you're probably not that into it (music) anyways.

Cas-
WootSticks
Bonned
74 IQ
I just checked, you're right. It came with a generic program named 'Slow Downer'.

...Don't get that one. (^.^)
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Audacity does the job, but beware that the pitch will lower slightly.

It's like playing along to cassette!
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist
5,337 IQ
amazing slowdowner is awesome. I would've paid for it, but I got it free when it was the featured app of the day.
#DTWD
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore
903 IQ
er....
a bit late mate.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

ha_asgag
3,811 IQ
Quote by hurlyz
Does anybody know a free (or "free-if-you're-smart") program that I could use to slow down songs (or parts of songs) without changing pitch?? For tabbing it'd be helpful since I'm a begginer and slowing down fast parts would help me much!

Thanks

"You may download Transcribe! and use it for 30 days evaluation period for free."
http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html
sweepinblues
37 IQ
I use Song Surgeon and its pretty good. Only thing I dont like is how you make loop points. It does slow it down to 40% of the speed without changing the pitch. I used it to transcribe Gary Moore Someday Baby.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,411 IQ
Old thread and even Windows Media Player can do it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Transcribe! software. It's not free... but it is for the first 30 day trial period.
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by mdc
Oh shit yeah, old thread lol
Perhaps, but not a sticky. This seems like a question that might come up from time to time.

In any event, you can tell how old it is, as the "Amazing Slow Downer", is up to 50 bucks.

Quote by MaggaraMarine
Old thread and even Windows Media Player can do it.
I'm not quite sure, but I think WMP only gives you full or half speed. (If that matters to anyone).
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 1, 2013,
Darek
10 IQ
I had an app on my iMac to do it but I lost it after a format. Can't find it anywhere...it was so straight to the point. I think it was something like "iGuitarist" or "!guitarist"...I remember the icon was a toon playing with an electric guitar. If someone knows what I'm talking about, please reply!
Thanks!
jerrykramskoy
Lesson Contributor
1,916 IQ
Quote by ha_asgag
"You may download Transcribe! and use it for 30 days evaluation period for free."
http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html

I've used Transcribe for years, Sounds great, even when really slowed down. Also, if you choose a small enough section (e.g say 1/2 a second wide) it will show you the most likely chord components in that period ... handy for jazz voicings.

Never heard of ronimusic ... must check it out. Sounds very similar in features to Transcribe.

And personally, I think if some programmer(s) has spent a huge amount of time producing such useful tools, and they want to sell it, then it should be bought, not nicked. (Different if they're cool with giving it away anyway).

cheers, Jerry
https://soundcloud.com/jerry-kramskoy-1
Darek
10 IQ
Quote by Darek
I had an app on my iMac to do it but I lost it after a format. Can't find it anywhere...it was so straight to the point. I think it was something like "iGuitarist" or "!guitarist"...I remember the icon was a toon playing with an electric guitar. If someone knows what I'm talking about, please reply!
Thanks!

Still trying to find this little app....if one of you has any idea...
Thanks!
liampje
Wannabe music theorist :)
4,918 IQ
Amazing slow downer is very good. It lets you choose different types of slow down. One type is great for hearing legato style playing, as it tries to make every single note sound more defined. It's free if you're smart.
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
this thread is 2 years old
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,411 IQ
^ 8 years.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Jet Penguin
Musical Chaos Theorist
2,069 IQ
Good advice here.

But no one's gonna play in slo-mo on stage for you, make sure you aren't neglecting to practice figuring out normal speed music as well.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
NeoMvsEu
Sing the anthem of life
20,605 IQ
Anyways, YT now has a speed feature:

(Yes, I put everything in Swedish. Sue me Most of this is cognates anyways. Snabb = quick, snabbhet = quickness/speed.)
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ 8 years.

holy shit
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
Jet Penguin
Musical Chaos Theorist
2,069 IQ
^Dammit people I leave for ONE WEEKEND, and this happens? .
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp