Page 1 of 2
I have graduated from the upper beginners level to the lower intermediate level in my guitar playing recently, and I should be getting my 2nd electric guitar soon. I was looking on a website at various schecter guitars (which are my favorite brand) and I noticed two of which I really liked. One contained EMG pickups, and another had Duncan pickups, both of which I found out were good for metal (my favorite type of music.)

What do you guys think would be better out of these two, or better THAN these two?
Try them out and see what you like best.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
DiMarzio's>Everything else. X2N, Evolutions, D Sonic, Breed, Evo 2...

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Either one, some people like the sound of EMGs and some like the sound of Duncans, or both, like me. Just go play them, no one can tell you which one is better, you have to hear them to be able to tell which one you like better if you've never used a guitar with either pickups. Now I can tell you, if the EMGs are passive, the Duncans WILL be better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^Definitely. Active EMG's will be great for metal—if they're your "thing," that is. Some like 'em..some don't. You HAVE to try them. If you're buying them after market, make sure you play a guitar with essentially the same specs as yours, i.e., wood, ect ect.

Passive EMG's blow. That's all there is to it. (Obviously, that's just my opinion. I'm just never been a fan. To each his or her own.)

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Quote by MatrixClaw
Either one, some people like the sound of EMGs and some like the sound of Duncans, or both, like me. Just go play them, no one can tell you which one is better, you have to hear them to be able to tell which one you like better if you've never used a guitar with either pickups. Now I can tell you, if the EMGs are passive, the Duncans WILL be better.

So that's what it meant when it said it had active EMG pickups....I was wondering about that.
Yes, active EMGs are good for metal, but passive are very muddy sounding compared to other pickups in their price range. If you want versatility, I'd go with the Duncans, they will be able to play more styles of music better if you decide to change your likings in music. But I still say try them before you buy it, it will help you decide whether you like the EMG sound or not.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i'd honestly go for the duncan's dude but thats just my opinion they give alot thicker tone and can probably go a little bassier in sound than the other but who knows
As a Schecter man myself, I firstly want to say, "Good choice!"

I'm currently using a Schecter S-1 Elite, and I love it to death. The Duncans in it rock so much. Great for metal and has a great clean sound too. Which guitars in particular are you looking at? I've played a lottt of Schecter and can give you my personal opinion, but as most have said, in the end, it comes down to personal taste.
Guitar Player Since April 12th, 2005.
Guitar of Choice: Schecter S-1 Elite
Proud of His Two Warnings
Well, if you want to play actual metal, the answer is DiMarzio. EMGs and Seymour Duncans both suck, but they're good if you're into playing ****ty music.
If you are into more of a Killswitch Engage type of metal, then I would go for the seymour ducans. But, if you like more of an Ozzy Osbourne or Black Label Society type of metal then I would get the EMG's. My personally opinion, find a lower priced guitar that feels good to you and then take out the pickups and put in some that would like. Also, put in an S-1 switch. You wont regret it.
Quote by Nafzger
Well, if you want to play actual metal, the answer is DiMarzio. EMGs and Seymour Duncans both suck, but they're good if you're into playing ****ty music.

You receive the idiot award of the day, and the day after, and after that, and one more after that.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Thanks. I was gonna put up a nomination, but I guess I'll just second yours.
Guitar Player Since April 12th, 2005.
Guitar of Choice: Schecter S-1 Elite
Proud of His Two Warnings
Quote by Fame will come!
If you are into more of a Killswitch Engage type of metal, then I would go for the seymour ducans. But, if you like more of an Ozzy Osbourne or Black Label Society type of metal then I would get the EMG's. My personally opinion, find a lower priced guitar that feels good to you and then take out the pickups and put in some that would like. Also, put in an S-1 switch. You wont regret it.

Don't Killswitch Engage use EMGs???

They used to at least...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Hm, I would jump all over some Seymoure Duncans... question, are they true Seymoures (or however you should spell it) or Duncan design... either are good IMO, but hey, sometimes its fun to split hairs, but like a bunch have people have been saying, play a bunch if different guitars, and see what suits you best.
Quote by Vermintide
Welcome all comers, with open arms and a wagging tail

Member #5 of the Mighty Boosh Appreciation Society PM *Juno* to join

Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: The Pop N' Locker of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
if you have the money, bareknuckle pickups are f*cking amazing. however, if you don't have ungodly amounts of money to throw around, i'd recommend bill lawrence pickups. those are what i have, and i've never been disappointed
hello
well I play metal and I got a set of Emg's and a RG1570 with a duncan custom in the bridge.

The duncan is godly for metallica/megadeth/death ... 80's metal in general.

I mostly use the emg's for the more modern metal sound like machine head, kse , pantera , trivium , ...
Orange Enthousiast.
My favorite bands so far have been A7X, Metallica, and earlier Papa Roach.

I actually was looking at the Schecter S-1 Elite and the Hellraiser when I posted my topic.
For those, I'd probably suggest Duncans then, but I still think you should go try them and decide for yourself.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I probably will try them, I live about 15 minutes away from a guitar center store. Thanx for all the suggestions guys!
i have a hellraiser fr and u you have 800 for that u will be set it is awsome i play alot of necrophagist and trivium and alot of neoclassical stuff ex.jerry c is u like canon rock man
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid
Active EMG's are awesome for heavy distortion.

I'd get the EMG 60 in the neck if you're at all interested in any other sort of tone, though. The 85 doesn't do cleans very well at all...
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
Quote by Nafzger

Yes, Dimarzios, they seems to be forgotten latly... man the super distortion was there back in the 70's and still hotter than most duncans, the X2N or the Super 3 would be your best buy at roughly 60 bucks on ebay, retail value of 99.99 us
DIMEBUCKER in BRIDGE.

that's all you need.....jazzband is done and my guitar is screaming again.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Just a quick question. Are there any Schecter Tempest owners out there? Im intersted in getting one custom made to my own specs after managing to have a quick play around on a Midway at a guitar shop a few weeks ago. It didnt have much of a metal sound and thats pretty much all i play but i loved the shape and it was smooth to play. With a few mods and such would it be a kickass metal guitar? thanks.
If you want to play metal, well I'd stick with the typical EMG 81 and 85. If you want cleans, then change 85 to 60, but that's pretty rad.

The schecter tempest I tried out at the guitar store was quite a fine one, but try it out yourself anyway.
I have owned and played guitars with both types of pickups. In general, both are great pickups for metal. As most people have said, make sure the EMG's are active otherwise they aren't worth getting. I have EMG's in my Jackson, but I've used Duncans before. I've found that the EMG's tend to offer a wider range of styles you can play (from pop punk to thrash metal) and the Duncans weren't really as versatile. But either seem like they would be great for you.
Current Equipment:
Customized Jackson King V
Crate FXT 120
Marshall MG10CD
Martin D35 Acoustic Guitar
i have 2 schecters, one with duncans and one with active emgs. if your into the metal i would definatly suggest the emgs, the only problem is that their clean tone isnt the best, so thats when i use the duncans. but for metal the actives are definatly the way to go but ya like everyone else says go try them out to see what you like but imo the emgs are better.

P.S. like a couple people said before, if you have a little extra money i'd get a cheaper, nice looking schecter and put in some bare knuckle pickups. best on the market for metal and any other style period.
Quote by Kestral
Just a quick question. Are there any Schecter Tempest owners out there? Im intersted in getting one custom made to my own specs after managing to have a quick play around on a Midway at a guitar shop a few weeks ago. It didnt have much of a metal sound and thats pretty much all i play but i loved the shape and it was smooth to play. With a few mods and such would it be a kickass metal guitar? thanks.

They will not customise any of the Diamond Series of guitars just so you know.
Quote by Kid Fisto
DIMEBUCKER in BRIDGE.

that's all you need.....jazzband is done and my guitar is screaming again.

I find its a bit too trebely. I quite like it in mahogony, but there are lots of better 'metal' pickups out there.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Quote by Kestral
Bareknuckles anyone? if money isnt an issue though.

Bareknuckles look awesome, only guitarist i know who uses them is pin from sikth and his tone is killer.
i love my death metal as much as the next guy, but i'm not a fan of EMG at all. they just sound so.. cold..
Some grammar and proper spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.

*This has been a public service announcement*
EMGs are recognised as the best brand for Metal

Duncans seem to be trying to branch out into all styles of music, which was a mistake made by DiMarzio, and Gibson before that. EMG have had the same sound for years, they know what they are doing and they do it well, high gain, metalcore sound.
i've got two jackson dinkys, one has emg 81/85 and the other seymour duncan jb/'59.

i find the emgs have a lot more clarity and treble, while the duncans give more of a punchy thump - at high gain obviously.
Quote by TTC
well I play metal and I got a set of Emg's and a RG1570 with a duncan custom in the bridge.

The duncan is godly for metallica/megadeth/death ... 80's metal in general.

I mostly use the emg's for the more modern metal sound like machine head, kse , pantera , trivium , ...

Metallica is using EMG's. so have you tried some of their songs with EMG's?? they're using 81's and 85's or 81's and 60's if i remember.
Hmmmm I think after 2 years he may have already made his mind up,

good on you for trying though

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
You mean Gibson and Fender. Well it depends entirely on what you like and your preferances. I personly like gibson better because of the way the humbuckers sound and the way the necks feel but thats just my personal taste.
Page 1 of 2