hippyguitardude
UG Member
683 IQ
well i recently quit my band since my bassist and drummer didn't give a sh*t about the music they played and i just put them in the band in the first place cause they're my friends (yes i did it, made a band w/ buddies). But now i'm forming a new band w/ a kid i sort of know who on bass and a to be decided drummer. My problem is i think i should narrow down what genres of music i write for, but i really love a lot of types of music so it's really tough. My question is what has the most marketability (or soemthing like that).

1. Loud Zeppelin style blues/rock stuff.
2. Early Phish style half improvisational stuff w/ long drawn out instrumentals.
3. Rush style progressive rock.

or i might just do all of them. They seem to go OK together. I'm still undecided
member of The Yes Club
member of the Ten Years After Club
member of the Allman Brothers Club
member of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club
PM deadhead313313

member of the Queen Fanclub!
PM Hanzi_G
B2daR2daA2daD
UG's Ultimate High-Fiver
257 IQ
seriously i dont think marketablility is the main point, u should do music u really love, and have a passion for, beacuse then the listener can understand what you really want to tell...

might sound kinda cheesy but yeah..
Quote by IbanezSA160
I farted in class once, but that's about as close i've got to a sexual experience in school.

Quote by duncanxdonuts
B2daR2daA2daD you win at life

DEAR GAWD!!!
hippyguitardude
UG Member
683 IQ
Quote by B2daR2daA2daD
seriously i dont think marketablility is the main point, u should do music u really love, and have a passion for, beacuse then the listener can understand what you really want to tell...

thats wat i do do... i don't care at all about if i get famous or anything.... but the thing is i love all 3 of those genres. I listen to a huge variety of music and those just happen to be my 3 favorite genres. I really don't think any of them are very marketable in today's music scene. But w/e. I'll probably just end up doing a bit of a blend of the 3
member of The Yes Club
member of Zeppelinism

PM deadhead313313

PM Hanzi_G
yawn
Be back later.
2,701 IQ
Why impose a limit on yourself?

Anyways, option 1 has the most marketability. Wolfmother is a clear example of that.
malashea_GTRST
UG's jewish mexican
181 IQ
Quote by B2daR2daA2daD

i agree.it shouldnt be about what will get you the biggest profit but what you WANT to play
Well, Jesus Christ, I'm not scared to die,

I'm a little bit scared of what comes after

Do I get the gold chariot?

Do I float through the ceiling?
hippyguitardude
UG Member
683 IQ
OK... ijust thought that out more and decided to just do w/e.... i'll just write and see wat i get... and again, it wasn't that i just wanted money or anything... it was that i love all 3 genres too much to choose one myself... which is y i'm just gonna do w/e... this thread was sort of pointless
member of The Yes Club
member of Zeppelinism

PM deadhead313313

PM Hanzi_G
dookie_dude_
^^^^^^^^^^^
286 IQ
yes the fact is that your probably never going to get big just because our music industry of today is so ****ed and confused, its unbelievable. even if your a great great band youll be just another band to them. its not about getting big, its about gigging at places and just having a good time. and i believe that the music industry hates led zeppelin 80s type. the key is to find what other people like and make it into something that sounds better and different to catch there eye.
or i might not know what im talking about...
but to answer you question, i Would go with Option 1 with 2's effects and screw #3
or dont define yourself in a certain genre..
rage6945
441 IQ
you should do all three, but add in your own style into it, to make it yours. this way you can do all three but still be recognizable
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
rage6945
441 IQ
its not about getting big, its about gigging at places and just having a good time.
its about what ever you want it to be about
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
justin_fraser
AKA J-Frase
806 IQ
Jazz. Jazz is the way to go my friend. But if you dont want to do jazz, do all 3 of them.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
whalepudding
UG Lovely Member
954 IQ
Don't limit yourself. Just write whatever comes out. Don't decide you're going to play exclusively blues/rock, cos what if you come up with a kickass prog riff? Just play whatever comes natural to you, even if that means making a big mash-up of those three styles.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
ElectricMammal
WTF I CLIMBED YER PILLOWZ
461 IQ
I would try mixing led zep and the doors...imagine a jimmy page solo to go along with a steady manazark keyboard rythem
Quote by Allahblues
Lavaticus 3:14, "So Moses went to class with some no name **** brand and totally started wailin on it. So I challenged him to a guitar duel and totally smoked his ass, he went home crying then everyone was all like OH YOUR SO AWESOME SEX ME."