Page 1 of 3
luciddreamer
122 IQ
My band members all smoke weed, and i was shocked b.c my drummer told me he'd never smoke weed and now he did. Im pissed, they're all trying to tell me how it's better than drinking but im sorry, i'm still pissed that my they'd do something like that. Im thinking aboiut quitting the band b/c of this, is it worth quitting b/c of my morals?
felenoral
94 IQ
What's wrong with MJ? No seriously, tell me what's wrong with it.
luciddreamer
122 IQ
I dont find it bad, well maybe b/c all of the tv propaganda warped my mind and everything but it's still against my morals.
Yakult
Never You Mind
1,175 IQ
Who cares what they do? If you like the band then get off your moral high-horse
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Yngwi3
UG's Tone & Grammar Nazi
1,292 IQ
Quote by felenoral
What's wrong with MJ? No seriously, tell me what's wrong with it.

Gives you schizophrenia, makes you epileptic, paranoid and gives you psychosis- that enough for you?

It's your call dude
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
DaveDaThrasha
UG shredder?
139 IQ
aside from the obvious illegality of the act, i see n othing inherently wrong, hwoever having said that, its not somethin id do again... its not for everyone. if youre in a band witha bunch of guys who dont share alot of the same ideas for you, its not gonna work, bein in a band is like bein in a marriage, just dont waste your time man.
MY RIG:

Gibson Explorer '73 reissue, Classic White
Schecter Blackjack S1
Crate Stack

Thats noise violation in a box!
phoenix_88
me.
127 IQ
you mean aside from the lung cancer/diseases?
or the stunting of your emotional growth?

lol.

it's all up to your morals whether you want to quit or not.
personally, if they did it all the time/at practice, i would.
Haha, Crackhead
UG's Resident Goat
264 IQ
Quote by phoenix_88
you mean aside from the lung cancer/diseases?
or the stunting of your emotional growth?

lol.

it's all up to your morals whether you want to quit or not.
personally, if they did it all the time/at practice, i would.

You're much more likely to get lung cancer from smoking cigarettes.

If it gets in the way of the music, leave.

If not, do whatever you wish.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
moostafah
UG Newbie
259 IQ
Quote by Yngwi3
Gives you schizophrenia, makes you epileptic, paranoid and gives you psychosis- that enough for you?

It's your call dude

You are very very misinformed. Don't say stuff like that and try to act wise about this topic when u have absolutly no knowledge about it at all.
ndakasimba
buh-boom boom chatta
656 IQ
i don't drink at all, but i'm not opposed to a little mary jane now and again.

the fact of the matter is, if it bothers you that much, then quit. it's gonna be no fun for you or your bandmates if you're pissed about them toking the ganja, and i guarantee that you won't make good music with those kind of angry vibes in the band. of course, another option is to talk to them about it, tell them how you feel and make an agreement that goes something like

1.No smoking during practice
2. No smoking before or during shows
3. No sm... no, that's it. there is no number three.

Does that sound fair?
oriolesazb
UG's Optimist
512 IQ
yo man, i used 2 b the same wau...then i tryed it...not i enjoy it.
Originally posted by mydadisjewish
people have different tastes. for example, i like good music, u like your dad's testicles.
Maggot66
Forward Unto Dawn
1,317 IQ
Quote by luciddreamer
My band members all smoke weed, and i was shocked b.c my drummer told me he'd never smoke weed and now he did. Im pissed, they're all trying to tell me how it's better than drinking but im sorry, i'm still pissed that my they'd do something like that. Im thinking aboiut quitting the band b/c of this, is it worth quitting b/c of my morals?

Your leaving a band because they smoke weed...

You don't expect to go very far in a music career in a band do you..?
groll01
You am i and i are great
463 IQ
if it effects the band/practice time i would but if not....try it your self, the beatles did :p
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
ozmanfan9
93 IQ
Quote by Yngwi3

It's your call dude

well ive been smokin for about 3-4 years and so far i dont have schizophrenia, im not epileptic, i dont get paranoid and i dont have psycosis

nothing is wrong with it so smoke it up
I always thought the good thing about the guitar was that they didn't teach it in school.
-- Jimmy Page

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
-- Jimi Hendrix
phoenix_88
me.
127 IQ
on the whole lung cancer more plausible from cigarettes...

true sorta,
but you'll stick **** up your lungs big time.
noodleman123
336 IQ
all the money that you have spent on drugs you could have invested into your band (which your band is guna be better than drugs even if you have one arm no fingers and you're cross eye'ed [coz drugs are that bad]). think man, kill yourself in the most ridiculous way possible and have a "story" to tell the kids or live,breathe and feel music even better. instead of buying draw, just put the money you would spend into a box then you'll have music money in no time!
deaththrashcore
UG's Dream Eater
725 IQ
Yeah it's illegal and that could make things messy later especially since you know about it, but otherwise there's nothing wrong. Just make sure they're not high when they go on stage, unless they're the kind of people who play better/are more entertaining high.
Arkane
UG Fanatic
251 IQ
weed makes people lazy and you wont get much done at a jam session if everyones blazed. ive been in stoner bands my whole life and its those sober moments when the **** gets done.

stoner bands rule though and i wouldnt have it any other way

(in no way am i against pot,, im actually quite high right now)
Tool kicks ass
Freddedonna
has licked your screen
530 IQ
Quote by oriolesazb
yo man, i used 2 b the same wau...then i tryed it...not i enjoy it.

This has got to be some of the finest typing I have ever seen.

Anyway, I don't think you should leave the band only because of that... If they smoke, it's their problem, not yours.
pumpkins_rule
UG's Rap crusader
1,404 IQ
Getting baked would make jam sessions more fun for every one.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Yngwi3
UG's Tone & Grammar Nazi
1,292 IQ
Quote by ozmanfan9
well ive been smokin for about 3-4 years and so far i dont have schizophrenia, im not epileptic, i dont get paranoid and i dont have psycosis
nothing is wrong with it so smoke it up

I know this stuff happens dude- My whole family are crackheads, my mother is currently in rehab- my brother has all kinda of odd **** wrong with him, and I dont know half my family including, including my father, because my mum can't remember his name, all she can remember is that he was a drug dealer.

I know what I'm talking about
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

garden of grey
Banned
348 IQ
Quote by Yngwi3

It's your call dude

But yeah, I would stay as long as they keep it to themselves and it doesn't get in the way of the band. However, if they try to make you do it make it clear that you won't unless you truly want to.
me_llamo_juan
UG's Outkast Ambassador
431 IQ
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
If it gets in the way of the music, leave.

Quite right. Half of the members in my band smoke weed... but it doesn't get in the way of the music so the rest of us see no reason to stop them.
scarfacesuit
UG's Tooth Flosser
1,167 IQ
ok first of all, everyone's an idiot.

one side of the argument is this: marijuana won't harm you at all.
one side is this: marijuana is satan's plant of choice and is EVIL!!

i'd like to take this moment to point out that smoke inhalation in any form is bad for you (marijuana too, because there's no filters, unless you use one... which no one does).

now, having said that, weed isn't the worst thing in the world. it might mess with your head for a bit, and prolonged extensive use will really harm your brain, but that's pretty extreme. for someone who smokes occassionally, it's not too bad. it's about a hundred times less harmful for you than alcohol is, and that's LEGAL.

so having said the pros and cons, on to the topic:

i'd stick with the band, but if them smoking weed is really screwing with the band budget (which has happened to my band...), then you should do something about it. if it's against your morals to smoke weed, then tell them you don't want them to do it around you, cause it's just not your thing.
redstripe
Banned
260 IQ
i say quit if your uncomfortble with them being stoners. to be in a band you gonna have like each other, some bands pull off being famous and not liking each other but your gonna enjoy making music more if your relaxed and having fun and not being pissed off with one another.

or if your band is really talented/or have great chemisry on stage and you don't wanna break it up. go with than guy who suggested rules. it'll let you make music and be less uncomfortable around them.
mw7
UG's Woody
959 IQ
http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/marijuana.html

Read the effects.

Anyway only quit if you can't make music with them or they're not reliable. If they're high at band practice and suck ass, or if they're busy trippin' instead of going to practice, then quit.

If they're cool potheads I don't see why you should quit.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Chili2122
118 IQ
First of all, extensive use of marijuana does not cause lung cancer. There was some very recent and extensive research that was just completed at Southern Illinois (I believe, don't grill me if wasn't there). As far as psychosis and the other emotional effects, you just have to do it in moderation, like everything else in life. Some people have these emotional effects, others don't; it's different for everyone. I have a few friends who don't like to smoke because it gives them a headache. They don't dislike me because I smoke and why should they, that would be ridiculous. I, on the other hand, like the fact that it can relax and expand my mind and let things be. All I can say is this; if you've never been high before, then you cannot criticize people for smoking. ****, look at what alcohol is doing to our society. Abuse of alcohol can cause even more devastating effects than weed does, yet society always finds a way to overlook that drug.
Last edited by Chili2122 at May 28, 2007,
Antzzang
Barney Fan Club #2
755 IQ
This is the same thing with my band but i guess if they dont do it around or pressure you it's alright i guess.
Can I get a Demonoid invite if you have a spare one?
LynchMobster
UG's Volume Dealer
758 IQ
None of what you said is true. Now it may not be better than drinking, its better for your health than drinking, not that its healthy. The only negative that can really be linked to marijuana smoking is loss of motivation, but thats only while your high. Alchohol and tobacco is considerably worse for you than marijuana. so no, you shouldnt quit. It's your descision whether you smoke or not, but dont quit because they do. Like, being an alchohic is way worse than being a pothead too. So if you drink, you shouldnt have anything against weed. And when your drunk your way more dangerous than when high. Stop listening to false facts that the government pumps out. They take cases where someone who smoked eventually devoloped schizophrenia or something and just say becuase that happened to them, it will happen to you, despite it not being linked to marijuana at all. The only bad thing is breathing in carbon dioxide in the smoke. And also, you can devolop alzheimers, but thats only from smoking out of tin foil.
Nerdo-sez-bo wrote:

Bon Jovi can just **** off really.

Life is one big question when your starin at the clock
And the answers always waiting at the liquor store, 40 oz to Freedom
Yngwi3
UG's Tone & Grammar Nazi
1,292 IQ
Quote by LynchMobster
The only negative that can really be linked to marijuana smoking is loss of motivation, but thats only while your high.

wwwrrrrroooonnnngggg

Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Antzzang
Barney Fan Club #2
755 IQ
i also think that if you're buying it from a dealer, who knows where he got his stuff from, it could potentially be worse.
Can I get a Demonoid invite if you have a spare one?
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
make a rule that they cant smoke at or before practice or a show bc weed kills your motivation. i know alot of people who started smoking weed and thats all they do and all that they care about
EZLN libertad
Pisser of cute avatars
1,944 IQ
Quote by luciddreamer
I dont find it bad, well maybe b/c all of the tv propaganda warped my mind and everything but it's still against my morals.

i hear ya, its just the way i was taught, and i like it, it keeps my head on my shoulders, im constantly working with guitar, theres never a real mess around time, and because of that im light years ahead of my peers musically
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
whalepudding
UG Lovely Member
954 IQ
To each his own. If you don't like it, don't do it, but I wouldn't quit just because of something like that.

Unless they're always high during gigs/practices.

Quote by Yngwi3

I know this stuff happens dude- My whole family are crackheads, my mother is currently in rehab- my brother has all kinda of odd **** wrong with him, and I dont know half my family including, including my father, because my mum can't remember his name, all she can remember is that he was a drug dealer.

Do you really?

I suppose you'd know that crack isn't marijuana?
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at May 28, 2007,
Ibanezsabb
298 IQ
Quote by Yngwi3

It's your call dude
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sincerely hope this isn't a serious post. If it is, then those 'This is your brain on drugs' propaganda commercials had a huge impact on you. LMAO
My current rig:
Schecter C-1 Elite EMG 81/85

Ovation CC48

Peavey 6505 Plus half stack

MXR KFK 10 band EQ
MXR Super Comp
MXR Smart Gate
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
VS Jeckyll and Hyde OD
EHx Holy Grail
EHx Stereo Memory Man
DevilMayCare
Soul of Chaos
193 IQ
If your band mates are trying to force you to smoke I'd tell them to back the **** off because it's all personal choice. I'd never force it on my singer and drummer who don't smoke...that's infringing upon their freedom of choice.
If they're not forcing it on you then I'd say just take a step back and look at it, then decide if it's worth quitting over it.
ZeM00finMan
Banned
272 IQ
Quote by Yngwi3

There is a BIGGGG difference between crack... and weed... or acid... and weed....

Unless you smoke enough weed per day to equal like a pack or two of cigarettes in weight/amount.... You wont have really any negative side effects, and even then... you wont have anything wrong with you 'til you're around 60 or so... ... Except loss of a little bit of short term memory XD which comes back.. so whatever... Not that many people smoke from being a teenager to being 50 smoking that much... So yea... you don't really have much to worry about...

But, yea, as everyone says... If it gets in the way of the music, leave... But, if you don't like the guys... and don't think it'll work anyways... Then, it's probably as far as you'll ever get, so you might as well leave and/or start a side band.. So you can get a jump start on the next thing... And if they all decide to get their **** together, then good... if not, you have that side band for ya
Mr.Rodgers
I could do with a
455 IQ
Quote by Yngwi3
wwwrrrrroooonnnngggg

Yeah, you're just stupid mate.

Weed doesn't have those effects you mentioned earlier unless as said before, it is used daily for prolonged periods of time (which means a few joint in an hour, rather than one joint for the day)

They only come into effect if you abuse it to an absurd amount.

And LynchMobster was right... how can he be wrong if nearly everyone that does it, whilst high, cannot be fucked to do much. I know I can't. I once considered satying in the outhouse where we spark up on a beanbag, because I couldn't be bothered to get up to go inside.

Going by how argumentative about you are, and how you think you're right, I'm right to suspect that you haven't done it, and therefore you don't know the effects it has on you.
I enjoy a hearty roast dinner...

...for breakfast.