Page 5 of 11
Quote by Oc3lot
The gt8 that is sale that im interested has no manual, is it a biggie? oh wait i think you can get he manual on the site. Anything i should be reading from that at the moment before i get it, so i can learn it quicker.

GT-8 Owner's Manual
GT-8 Tutorial Thread
GT Set Up Document

That last one is not specific to the GT-8, but applies to all GT units and was written specifically for the GT-5. Read that document because it has some of the best tips for working with the GT floorboards I've ever seen.
TwoString, I've been looking up all info of Gt-8 that I can and seems like I misunderstood the way it works. I maybe was a bit dumb, but I thought it works like normal pedal with billion effects, but it seems to have a preamp (of course now it is so logical ) and headphone jack etc.

You recommended using PA/Keyboard amp. It seems like a good idea, because whats the point of pluggin a guitar amp to another guitar amp? I'd like to know how the keyboard amps and such affect the tone and sound. Seems like they are trying to archieve a neutral sound with such amps, am I correct?
Keyboard amps tend to colour the sound very little, if any. And tend to have a flat, neutral sound. Same with PA speakers ( an active speaker could be used by itself - eg guitar --> FX ---> active speaker ).

Keyboard amps or active speakers are also full-range - if you ever switch to bass guitar you wouldn't have to swap amps.
Thanks. I think I should then buy a active speaker. There should be only one them, right? I could use my existing active speakers (I spent 160 euros on them a few years back), but they are designed to be used with computer or television.
When I recommend a set of active speakers for use with a digital preamp, I'm not talking about a set of little computer speakers. The best examples I can give are the JBL EON series speakers and the Mackie SR series speakers. Those are speakers worth investing in even if you plan on getting an actual tube amp somewhere down the road because they can be reused as stage monitors or even a PA rig for your vocalist.
For a completely new user the GT-8 has plenty of usable, nice-sounding patches, but as for getting your own tones and sounds out of it, that could take a couple weeks.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Quote by *kas
For a completely new user the GT-8 has plenty of usable, nice-sounding patches, but as for getting your own tones and sounds out of it, that could take a couple weeks.

Chill with it for a weekend and really break it. Throw what you think you know about dialing in guitar tones out the window and start over and you'll be just fine.
Yes, just remember you don't need a ton of gain. The amp models are meant to model cranked tube amps, so you really don't need a ton of gain. On the Recto model, you can have full nu-metal gain at about 20%. Another good combo is the Metal Zone sim coupled with the Full Range amp model. Low gain on the metal zone and about 50% on everything on the amp model and you should have a really good metal tone to play around with.
So it can basically do everything, when set properly. So like it can do 'Hillsong sounds' n stuff? Like foo fighters sound? Can't wait till i get it
Quote by thayes93
So, if I set it up with the 4 cable method and turn on the preamp in the GT8, does it bypass my amp preamp.

No, not necessarily. If you want full flexibility out of the setup, here's what you do...

First, make sure these elements in the FX chain are ordered as follows...

Wah-OD-Preamp-Loop-Delay-Chorus-etc

Anything else you're using can be inserted wherever it is needed for the most part. Now, with this setup, you can pretty much consider the "loop" effect to be your actual amplifier pre-amp...change the way you think about it, it is now just another effect on the GT-8. So now you can set up your patches one of three ways. You can turn the GT-8 preamp off and just use the GT-8 as an effects processor. You can turn the "loop" off and go direct to the power amp, using the GT-8 preamp for you main amp sounds. Or you can use both, swapping around the "loop" and "preamp" blocks in the effects chain routing. The cool part about this last option is the fact that you can now use one of those preamps as another overdrive effect depending on how you set it up (you can use your amplifier preamp as an overdrive effect by making it another gain stage before the preamp simulator on the GT-8, or you can do it the other way around).

If you turn off the "loop" effect, you're amplifier preamp is taken completely out of the chain and you're going direct to the power amp. Make sense?
Hey Twostring i won the GT-8 on ebay . Now i need that midi to usb cable. Now i have been reading the forums about updating the software it has made me worried abit. It says that you need a midi interface im not sure what that is, is it a software? cause i thought you only needed the midi to usb cable to change software n other stuff?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Swamp-USB-MIDI-Interface-Synths-Keyboards-to-PC_W0QQitemZ120157446183QQihZ002QQcategoryZ23783QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD4VQQcmdZViewItem
thats all i need right?
Quote by Oc3lot
Hey Twostring i won the GT-8 on ebay . Now i need that midi to usb cable. Now i have been reading the forums about updating the software it has made me worried abit. It says that you need a midi interface im not sure what that is, is it a software? cause i thought you only needed the midi to usb cable to change software n other stuff?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Swamp-USB-MIDI-Interface-Synths-Keyboards-to-PC_W0QQitemZ120157446183QQihZ002QQcategoryZ23783QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD4VQQcmdZViewItem
thats all i need right?

that cable is what you need, you will also need a programe to move the patches from the pc tp the gt8, you can get these from www.bossgtcentral.com its easy enough to use it, the one thing about the cables is some people have to plug the input cable into the output and the output cable into the input of the gt8 although some people can connect normaly, dont know why this happens but it works fine
oi thayes93 tell us how the gt8 sounds with the laney cause im planning to buy the same amp as you. Two string, One thing im worried about how its gonna sound threw an tube amp. Can you tell me how the gt8 sounded though your amp? And does it compare with single pedals. Cause im thinking when i get better and richer later on then i might go to singles im not sure im 17 now but yeh? lol a little confusing yeh.
^Let's see if I can help TwoString a bit ;] If I remember correctly, he plays the GT-8 through a Mesa/Boogie Roadster, so it should work fine with a tube amp. Also in a comparison between the emulated sound of a tubescreamer on the GT-8 to the real thing with the same settings you can't really tell the difference.

As for the need to eventually switch to singles, I don't anticipate a need for that, since it's something I've been thinking of as well. If you find that you don't use certain effects (I myself never use delay or chorus) you can assign those to pedal controls as well, so you've effectively got a very versatile 6 pedal pedalboard + wah or whammy effect. Boss is a pretty big player in the stompbox industry and I'm pretty sure the GT-8 emulates their pedals, so you should be set for a while.

Also just an update on my experiences with it, I've gotten pretty good at setting tones on it. When you said "throw everything I know about dialing tones out the window" it wasn't really hard for me, since I've been playing a solid state with treble and mid knobs that turn the whole thing into a screechy mess, so unless I'm doing something wrong creating patches has been coming pretty easily to me.

The first real patch I made was a 5150 head through a 4x12 cabinet with a compressor. I made it so that Amp Channel A is mid-gain with treble and mids around 50, so it sounds good for fast playing and complex/heavy licks, and defined pinch harmonics. Channel B has higher gain with mids and treble around 10 or 20, and bass around 30 so it's good for really heavy riffs where clarity isn't as important as a heavy sound. I use this patch for stuff like Iron Maiden, The Architects (British band), Buckethead, EVH, and RATM. I have distortion set to and OD-1, FX-1 on harmonist (I use it in the beginning of a song like The Trooper), and FX-2 to the whammy effect, with the EXP pedal switch set to a crybaby wah.

Right now I'm trying to pick the best-sounding direct-to-PC recording solution (I might skip the digital out in favor of a patch cord running from my amp into an adapter into the PC) and get some demos of the patches and effects up for people to hear.

I'm very happy with my purchase in case you couldn't tell
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Last edited by *kas at Sep 7, 2007,
The best thing about the GT-8 and it's quality is in the time-based effects (chorus, delay, flange, etc). The phase and other "swirly" effects are top-notch as well. So the main benifit is rack quality without the rack and extra MIDI floorboard. It's all already at your feet. And I can already hear the haters coming with "blah-blah-blah G-System", and I agree, but if you ain't got $1300, then go with the GT-8. The GT-8 has more options anyway. Go with the G-System if you've already got a couple of good overdrive/distortion boxes, a wah and a few other select indies.

I miss my GT-8, but I had to get rid of it to help pay off the Mesa and to put money towards building a few prototypes with the idea that I would be producing them to make some money. So far that hasn't worked out because I just don't have the time to get the paint and graphics done. The overdrive clones are built but still not assembled because the paint is not done. I'm considering just selling them half-finished at a discounted price to get them out of my sight.

The unit is far better with a tube amp for sure. The digital preamp through a tube power amp is an amazing combination. I used the GT-8 as a preamp with my Fender, but I only used it as an effects processor with the Mesa. The Fender ran with the 4 cable method at times, but for the most part I was going direct into the front end of the GT-8 and then direct into the power amp on the Fender. The Mesa mostly saw the GT-8 in the effects loop for delay, chorus and other effects (no overdrive or preamp effects on that one).
Oh so you didn't connect the Gt-8 into the FX loop for your fender you put it in front?
Quote by Oc3lot
Oh so you didn't connect the Gt-8 into the FX loop for your fender you put it in front?

4 cable method when desired, but mostly my signal path was guitar-GT-8-Fender FX loop return. The preamp on the Fender was not used at all in this case.
My friends are really trying to make me not to buy the gt-8. I guess its a matter of taste, they hate all thing digital regarding guitars and basses.

I recently bought a bass and an amp. The bass amp is Laney BC120 and I like it. I previously had microcube and of course BC120 sounds hell a lot better with guitar, even if its a bass amp.
It's used and if I understand correctly, no longer manufactured. Its way better than what I would have bought next for my guitar.

Anyway, I am now wondering how it would sound with gt-8. I only know that bass amps tend to have more stock distortion than guitar amps and they are ment for lower sounds but my guitar's high notes sound clear to me when using the guitar with the amp.

I have no idea if I can bypass the preamp with this amp. It has a variety of ways to connect it to anything...

So would this amp ruin the sound of Gt-8 and how does gt-8 sound with bass? I'd like to use it with my both instruments.

Sorry for a bit messy post, but I am writing as things come to mind.
No problems...

Bass amps tend to be closer to PA systems than actual guitar amplifiers. They're built to push low end, but they also have amazing high end and lots of head room. And your amp has an effects loop. With your amp, I probably wouldn't end up using the effects loop anyway, I'd just go direct to the front end of the amp and use the graphic EQ and compressor on the amp to shape things a little better. It's not a bad purchase for your rig.

I can't stand those that just have this closed minded view about certain technology. The main reason I hate that attitude so much is because I used to have it. If it wasn't blues, it wasn't worth playing, and if it wasn't tube or analog, it was garbage. I'm so glad I got over that.
Quote by TwoString

I can't stand those that just have this closed minded view about certain technology. The main reason I hate that attitude so much is because I used to have it. If it wasn't blues, it wasn't worth playing, and if it wasn't tube or analog, it was garbage. I'm so glad I got over that.

Yeah! I am trying not to take too much influence from my friends because its important to have some power over yourself. Now I just have to gather up some money and find some store that sells Gt-8 and is open to haggling...
Quote by andrew.tran
so instead of paying 450 us bucks for it could i get it like 300over ebay?

You could get it cheaper at GC if you press them. I don't trust Ebay much these days. Craigslist is the better option.

Quote by Oc3lot
Sup, Twostring should be gettting the gt 8, just that the guy who's got the gt8 lives too far i think he'll be posting it. Anywho just wondering if this tone is possible to get from the gt8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW99vlyBt2k&mode=related&search=

Easily. The rectifier sim coupled with the Marshall Plexi sim for some added mass with the solo feature on for some push in the mids.
I've never tried it because I never had a need for it. The tones I was able to dial in direct through the power amp on my Fender didn't need any adjustment, and when they did, the EQ took care of it. I think he's made an amazing product though and I know many GT-8 users (and even POD XTL users) that swear by it. A couple of guys I know have used it and praise it as well. I trust their ears and will say if it's good for them, it's probably good for you if you have issues with your modeler.
Hey man, I got My G-t8 a few days ago. I connected it to some random speakers i managed to get pretty good distortion sounds. But the louder i went the weird the sound became this is cause of the speakers though, not the gt-8. For distortion sounds i chose a preamp say like the BG drive not too sure but i put everything on 50 except the gain i put that to like 30 or 20. Then i put a overdrive pedal on and put the drive on like 30 or 20 I'm not too sure. I've still got heaps to learn but i know how to set distortion sounds.

The things I'm probably a bit confused about is the EQ like i read the manual on that part but still i need it to be in 'normal language' terms but im slowy getting there. Also the FX chain its confusing set things like when i want to put the Tone Modify theres no button for that.

eg.

PRE--> OD-->Fx1-->...................................... like theres no button for TM alone so, my only option is to use Fx1 which uses all the other effects right? which i don't. Cause when i press fx-1 button and turn on Tone modify all the other effects say on when i scroll threw the effects but i only want TM on, also i wanted to use H-->S humbucker to single but because i can only select one on the fx-1 i cant select TM and GS at the same time.

This may be confusing but, sorry if it is lol. I am learning
You will have to set up the unit that way. You can only have one effect active in the FX1/FX2 slots (for example, you cannot have both the tone modify and phaser going in FX1, you will have to use the tone modify in FX1 and the phaser in FX2). So when you arrange the FX Chain, you will move around FX1 and FX2 depending on what you're doing with them. For example, one of my lead patches used the pitch shifter, which needs to be at the front of the chain. So for that patch, FX2 was the first thing in the chain. On another patch, I used the sub-delay, which sounds better at the end of the chain, so for that patch, FX2 is at the end just before the mic simulator. Make sense?

For the EQ, check the links...

Vetta EQ Tutorial - the best example I can link you to
general EQ info
Wiki
I'd recommend going to the BossGTCentral forums and finding a guy named Tian Jay (screen name TeeJay). He has two patches that he made available to the public that would nail that tone. The patch names are Wrektified and In The Zone. PM him and see if he can email the patches to you.
Hey Twostring ok im planning on getting the GT-8 i know quite a bit but not everything you guys talk about in this thread e.g 4cm thingi, HC whatever tht is and also im also planning on buying an amp after the GT-8 would you rather recommend a new amp or a PA system speaker...

thanks alot
gt-8 users, some queries here....

1. some reviews said that when using gt-8, it wont cut through the mix. izzit real? any solution?

2. when using different amp, what do you all usually do? change the eq on the amp? or change the setting on gt-8? I heard that change the eq on the amp wont help much as the amp will color the tone of gt-8, and changing the setting on gt-8 wont be as easy.

in my country, we won't be using our amp for pub club jam/botb like the western country, the organizers and pub/club will prepare themself. so we will be using a lotsa different kind of amp. so, any comment on this situation? other than using the efx loop on the amp.
Quote by JackFlash19
A musician will work through bad gigs, rough relationships with bandmates, disagreements, and the like to further the success of the band.
Quote by mustaine=god
Hey Twostring ok im planning on getting the GT-8 i know quite a bit but not everything you guys talk about in this thread e.g 4cm thingi, HC whatever tht is and also im also planning on buying an amp after the GT-8 would you rather recommend a new amp or a PA system speaker...

thanks alot

Depends on what you're going after. Personally, I would recommend amp...a decent, low power tube amp. The power sections in various Fender and Traynor 40 watters mate well with the GT-8, so I'd start there. And an effects loop is essential.

Quote by noobme
gt-8 users, some queries here....

1. some reviews said that when using gt-8, it wont cut through the mix. izzit real? any solution?

2. when using different amp, what do you all usually do? change the eq on the amp? or change the setting on gt-8? I heard that change the eq on the amp wont help much as the amp will color the tone of gt-8, and changing the setting on gt-8 wont be as easy.

in my country, we won't be using our amp for pub club jam/botb like the western country, the organizers and pub/club will prepare themself. so we will be using a lotsa different kind of amp. so, any comment on this situation? other than using the efx loop on the amp.

1. It's all a matter of how you EQ it. With a parametric EQ, there is never a bad tone situation that you can't EQ your way out of.

2. Changing tonal settings on the GT-8 is very easy once you understand how the various amp models respond. And once you get the hang of the EQ, it will all fall into place.

As for the amplification situation, I would either invest in my own PA rig or a guitar amp. That will save you a lot of setup time and the headache of having to deal with different issues at every gig.
hmm..... so the solution is still having own PA rig or guitar amp.

Thanks.
Quote by JackFlash19
A musician will work through bad gigs, rough relationships with bandmates, disagreements, and the like to further the success of the band.
I decided to go with a mfx pedal instead of an amp because I like to play with headphones and I would possibly like to play through a computer so I wouldn't have to dl tabs, jam with music, have acess to drum loops ect. so I have some questions about the gt-8...(I'm not planning on using it with my amp)

1. I heard I can haggle someone down or buy it for $200-$250? Is this true? If so how?
2. What's an effects loop?
3. How will it sound using my computer's line in and the pedal's digital out or whatever?
4. It would be worlds better than the rp250 right?
5. Can I get thick heavy metal tones as well as heavenly cleans?
6. Should I get a sound card upgrade if I do manage to record with it?
Quote by Hellfire999
I decided to go with a mfx pedal instead of an amp because I like to play with headphones and I would possibly like to play through a computer so I wouldn't have to dl tabs, jam with music, have acess to drum loops ect. so I have some questions about the gt-8...(I'm not planning on using it with my amp)

1. I heard I can haggle someone down or buy it for $200-$250? Is this true? If so how?
2. What's an effects loop?
3. How will it sound using my computer's line in and the pedal's digital out or whatever?
4. It would be worlds better than the rp250 right?
5. Can I get thick heavy metal tones as well as heavenly cleans?
6. Should I get a sound card upgrade if I do manage to record with it?

Just read through the rest of this thread, but as for quick answers to your questions:

1. If you're at Guitar Center the employees are allowed to lower the price of a product if you haggle, and the lowest is around 200-250.
2. Not sure
3. It should sound just like it sounds to you coming out of the headphones, but you'd probably get a better sound if you skipped the digital out and recorded through an amp to your PC.
4. The GT-8 is far beyond comparing to an rp250. It's not even a matter of apples to oranges, it's more like apples to stale orange jube jubes.
5. Yes.
6. Might be a good idea but not absolutely necessary.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!