Page 3 of 35
Hey, first time I've seen this thread so I thought I would throw in my contribution to the PRS owners thread......

None of the high end models, but I've got a Santana SE (which is now discontinued, but I think it's basically the same as a the custom SE, someone correct me if I'm wrong) and a Tremonti SE and I absolutely love them both!

The Santana I got about 5 years ago to replace my *ahem* 2nd hand Squier Strat! Needless to say it was a huge improvement!

As I got better and my taste in music became heavier, I decided I needed something with 10s on it for drop tunings and such (I know you can drop D with 9s, but I don't really like messing with tunings on one guitar too much as it screws up the action and stuff) and this led me to the Tremonti SE, which again I absolutely love and up until about a month or so ago lived between drop D or drop Db

Since then I got a LTD M-200, which I use for drop D, and as it has a floyd I can't change it, so now the Tremonti is used for D standard and drop C.....the LTD is also a lovely guitar for anyone who cares, and as it's the bottom of the range I'm sure some of the better LTDs and ESPs are even better

There's nothing that could ever make me get rid of my PRSs, I love those guitars! What could tear me away however would be a PRS with a Floyd in it, as they're just too much fun to play with!

Currently, I'm deciding whether I want for my 21st birthday, to have help buying either a custom 24, a 513, or something from a custom shop.....it's a tough life with all these big decisions!

Oh and if anyone's interested enough to want pictures I'll post some in a few days as all my guitars are in their cases now waiting to move house tomorrow!
^Not my cup of tea really. I guess it would attract some Gretcsh type of players and I love Gretcsh guitars personally but the Starla just doesn't jump out to me really. But I'm saying all of this without playing it first so that's all subject to change.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
I have a PRS singlecut SE in tobacco sunburst. I like it a lot. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a real Sc 245, and I'd like to get a Gibson LP just to compare the two.

As for the Starla, it's not really my thing, I don't like trems, but it sure looks nice
I wish I had a legit PRS, 24 fretter. I dont have that kind of money though...I think I'd rather buy a Diezel anyway.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I would buy a starla right now if it had a stoptail option, not a fan of the bigsby but I guess it compliments the whole vibe of the guitar, a whitewash one would be pretty awesome
Hey dudes and dudettes,
I thought i'd introduce myself to the thread, i'll probably be stopping by multiple times.
I have a PRS SE Soapbar II Maple (longest name ever), and it is my almost dream guitar. Only beaten out by one that I made, which sounds better because it has humbuckers, but doesn't play even half as well (and i like the cosmetics on my custom build more). IT used to be the blue matteo burst colour, but because of the sun, its now a very nice tealish green.
i'll put up pics if i get the time.

What does everyone think of the sudden explosion of new, more radical (for prs at least) models? first the mira, then the thinline, now the starla.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by Kikuta
Who has a PRS Custom 22 on order?

I have a PRS Custom 22 on order. Ooooooooooooooh yeah.

Now that you have told me that you have one onorder, you won't anymore.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by Steve The Plank
My new PRS.

I now officially hate your guts
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
i am used to floyd roses so i dont really know how prs trems work. do you have to adjust the springs at the back when detuning? also, does tuning one string put the other strings out like on a floyd?
first of all: i want a 513!!! coolest guitar ever, innit?

oh and, should i get a used custom se for 180 pounds? its about 500 euros cheaper than new (here in germany), but i dont really need it (i got an epi LP)

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hendriko
first of all: i want a 513!!! coolest guitar ever, innit?

oh and, should i get a used custom se for 180 pounds? its about 500 euros cheaper than new (here in germany), but i dont really need it (i got an epi LP)

Super versatile. I haven't been able to try one out though

I have my heart set on a singlcut. I'm in good with a local shop, the take about 30% off whatever I want in there. I'd probably get a Carvin singlecut first. Of course I'm gassing for a Diezel Herbert more than anything right now.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Can I has part of thiz thred if I will haz a PRS by Christmas?

But seriously...I will and I can't wait. I just want to ask if anyone has played an SE Singlecut (my next guitar) and an SC 245 side by side and can tell me if I'm really missing anything...I havent had the pleasure of playin a 245...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Alright guys I am very interested in the PRS se Singlecut... I like it a **** load more than the LP custom (in terms of feel and tone)...I am gonna chose between this and a H1 strat

I've heard that PRS are known for EXTREMELY well built guitars....are the PRS SE's built as well? What are some common problems with the PRS Single cut? Does it stay in tune well?
Quote by Skynyrd890
Can I has part of thiz thred if I will haz a PRS by Christmas?

But seriously...I will and I can't wait. I just want to ask if anyone has played an SE Singlecut (my next guitar) and an SC 245 side by side and can tell me if I'm really missing anything...I havent had the pleasure of playin a 245...

I haven't played the SC 245 yet but I have played the SE Singlecut. The main difference you find in the playability is the different scale length between the 245 and SE SC. I am an SC owner but I am personally not a fan of the SE SC. Still a great guitar just not my bag.

Quote by Swap-Meet
Alright guys I am very interested in the PRS se Singlecut... I like it a **** load more than the LP custom (in terms of feel and tone)...I am gonna chose between this and a H1 strat

I've heard that PRS are known for EXTREMELY well built guitars....are the PRS SE's built as well? What are some common problems with the PRS Single cut? Does it stay in tune well?

PRSi are built very well along all their model lines imo. The biggest issue people have (including myself) with the SE line is the nut. In most cases SE owners change the nuts out since they seriously affect the guitars ability to hold tune. Since the SC has a stop tail you should be able to hold your tuning a bit better than the trem equipped guitars but be prepared to swap the nut just in case. You can upgrade to Schaller locking tuners since they are a direct fit and in combination with a new nut your tuning woes if any would be gone. Some people end up swapping out pickups somewhere down the line but you already love the tone so that doesn't seem to be a problem for you atm.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Well, I knew scale length, but what about materials or pickups?
Quote by Skynyrd890
Well, I knew scale length, but what about materials or pickups?

Well obviously the SC 245 would have higher quality woods and hardware. Both guitars share the same standard neck carve which is W/F unless you order a SC 245 in W/T. The pickups in the 245 have more of a paf voicing (at least imo) than the SE SC. In all honesty if you want an SE SC then get one. If you are opting for it instead of the 245 then I suggest you play a 245 when you get the chance and decide if you really want one or not. Buying a guitar just because it is a cheaper alternative isn't always satisfying in the long run to some players. Make sure you get what you are really after in the long run.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

when i get a job during the summer i am definitely saving for a custom 24 or a 513. then my life will be complete
Quote by OsirisProtocol
PRSi are built very well along all their model lines imo. The biggest issue people have (including myself) with the SE line is the nut. In most cases SE owners change the nuts out since they seriously affect the guitars ability to hold tune. Since the SC has a stop tail you should be able to hold your tuning a bit better than the trem equipped guitars but be prepared to swap the nut just in case. You can upgrade to Schaller locking tuners since they are a direct fit and in combination with a new nut your tuning woes if any would be gone. Some people end up swapping out pickups somewhere down the line but you already love the tone so that doesn't seem to be a problem for you atm.

How much would a new nut cost? Would a new nut change the tone?

Any other common problems?
Quote by ironman1478
when i get a job during the summer i am definitely saving for a custom 24 or a 513. then my life will be complete

Post pics when the day arrives mate .

Quote by Swap-Meet
How much would a new nut cost? Would a new nut change the tone?

Any other common problems?

A new nut might run you somewhere between $30-$40 installed I believe. I could be wrong though. I do all my own work so its been awhile since I let a shop doing anything for me.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Quote by OsirisProtocol
Post pics when the day arrives mate .

A new nut might run you somewhere between $30-$40 installed I believe. I could be wrong though. I do all my own work so its been awhile since I let a shop doing anything for me.

ahhh, okay...do you know how much it would cost to mod it the way you modded yours (2 tone, 2 volume nobs)?
Quote by Swap-Meet
ahhh, okay...do you know how much it would cost to mod it the way you modded yours (2 tone, 2 volume nobs)?

Mine isn't modded. It's a stock USA SC. To get it modded for that control scheme would b rather expensive since you have to get the routing done and some refinishing for the recessed control spots. I figure the whole job with nut included would be upwards of $100. If I were you I'd check out the local luthiers and work out a deal instead of getting the work done by a GC tech or something of the like.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

I just got my SE Custom Semi Hollow with soapbar pickups yesterday!
"When I grow up, I wanna be a vampire bat"

Quote by OsirisProtocol
Mine isn't modded. It's a stock USA SC. To get it modded for that control scheme would b rather expensive since you have to get the routing done and some refinishing for the recessed control spots. I figure the whole job with nut included would be upwards of $100. If I were you I'd check out the local luthiers and work out a deal instead of getting the work done by a GC tech or something of the like.

Ahhh okay, I don't really mind the extra 100$ in a few weeks, especially since even though I like the tone the stock pups have, I've always wanted to put a JB and Jazz/59 (whichever) in a guitar I really like.

so the only thing I should expect to fix is the nut?
Quote by toton1989
I just got my SE Custom Semi Hollow with soapbar pickups yesterday!

Always wanted to try one of those out. How do you like it so far?

Quote by Swap-Meet
Ahhh okay, I don't really mind the extra 100$ in a few weeks, especially since even though I like the tone the stock pups have, I've always wanted to put a JB and Jazz/59 (whichever) in a guitar I really like.

so the only thing I should expect to fix is the nut?

Yeah the only thing you should worry about off the bat is the nut. Some people can live with them and others can't so just remember to swap out the nut if you end up with tuning issues down the line. As for the routing and pickup switch that's all up to you. Either way enjoy the guitar once you get it .
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

My prs SE custom won't stay in tune. Mainly the g-string and the b-string. I put new strings on like 5 days ago so they must be stretched out by now.

Its pretty bad ....
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by DaddyBarbs
My prs SE custom won't stay in tune. Mainly the g-string and the b-string. I put new strings on like 5 days ago so they must be stretched out by now.

Its pretty bad ....

Change the nut. Read a few of the earlier posts about the nuts on the SE models.

Quote by Swap-Meet
Holy shit, I just found the PRS SE SingleCut for 485$...and no, it's not the tremonti model.

Yes, it's new...the store i was at last night had it price for 654...

Are you gonna get it?
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Quote by OsirisProtocol
Change the nut. Read a few of the earlier posts about the nuts on the SE models.

Are you gonna get it?

i still can't decide 100%

part of me wants it..but I've always loved fenders...

I gotta decide between a H1 Strat, or the SE Singlecut...

both sound and play great, the SE is alot cheaper, but I'm guessing the fender is built alot better (MIA)
Quote by OsirisProtocol
Well obviously the SC 245 would have higher quality woods and hardware. Both guitars share the same standard neck carve which is W/F unless you order a SC 245 in W/T. The pickups in the 245 have more of a paf voicing (at least imo) than the SE SC. In all honesty if you want an SE SC then get one. If you are opting for it instead of the 245 then I suggest you play a 245 when you get the chance and decide if you really want one or not. Buying a guitar just because it is a cheaper alternative isn't always satisfying in the long run to some players. Make sure you get what you are really after in the long run.

**** no I'm not opting out...I was just wondering since I haven't had the pleasure to try it...PRS SE SC is a really good guitar imo...works for me./
Quote by Swap-Meet
i still can't decide 100%

part of me wants it..but I've always loved fenders...

I gotta decide between a H1 Strat, or the SE Singlecut...

both sound and play great, the SE is alot cheaper, but I'm guessing the fender is built alot better (MIA)

Well I can't be of any help there. Right after I bought my SC I bought a Fender H1 Strat. I loved both guitars dearly but I had to sell the Fender right after to pay for my tuition for University and I wasn't ready to part with my SC.

Quote by Skynyrd890
**** no I'm not opting out...I was just wondering since I haven't had the pleasure to try it...PRS SE SC is a really good guitar imo...works for me./

As far as I am concerned no matter what you get enjoy it.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

hows the PRS custom 24 (the ~800$ korean made one)?

i saw it on the internet, they are pretty nice as far as looks and features go

and also does it play/have a similar neck to the tremonti?

Because i HATE the tremonti.
Quote by Swap-Meet
Which do you think was more versatile? do you think the H1 was built just as well as the MIA standards?

In terms of sheer versatility the H1 would win over the SE imo. As far as comparing to the MIA standards they are close as far as build quality. Tone wise the guitars are different animals and you may have some tuning issues (I did personally) but that's nothing a good setup can't cure.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Quote by OsirisProtocol
In terms of sheer versatility the H1 would win over the SE imo. As far as comparing to the MIA standards they are close as far as build quality. Tone wise the guitars are different animals and you may have some tuning issues (I did personally) but that's nothing a good setup can't cure.

what do you think would be better (in terms of quality, sound, etc..)

the SE SC or the H1 Strat (HSS)

I play anything from aggressive punk (black flag, lower class brats, etc..), to 90's alt rock/grunge (RHCP, Nirvana, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur JR, etc..)
In your case I'd personally go for the H1. Maybe a single pickup change to better suit your tastes once you get used to the guitar but I would definitely get the H1.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Quote by OsirisProtocol
In your case I'd personally go for the H1. Maybe a single pickup change to better suit your tastes once you get used to the guitar but I would definitely get the H1.

ahh, okay thanks

I'll probably get a JB in the bridge (i love that pup ) and maybe something very John Frusciante like?

Any clue what pups he used in his strat?
Is a used, but mint, condition SE Custom a good deal at $400?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater