Page 5 of 633
I'm wanting to get a 7-string. My local shop is closing down and I figure that they might cut me a deal so.... is a Schecter Omen-7 any good?
Yeah I was just reading through and saw that.... but I like thickish necks cause my hands are kinda big. How big are they usually tho? On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being a gibson neck and 1 being a wizard neck, how would Schecter necks score?
hmm, about a 6/7
theyre fairly thick, but have a comfortable profile that means they dont feel as thick as they look

whats yur budget? hellraisers rock if you like thickernecks, and have mahogany with EMG's
but theyre a lot more.
Thanks alot godofshred. Ill be browsing for a fair while, a month or two before I decide the best one, so any help is great.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
umm, I dont really have a budget, Im hoping that my mom will realize how good of a deal it is and will get it for me, which I will pay her back soon, cause i'm about to get a job.
And if the necks about a 6/7 then its perfect for me. Thin necks like those of Ibanez's make my hands cramp.
Last edited by rockr09 at Jun 6, 2007,
Heh, dont think I could get the interceptor shipped to Australia. Ill have to ask around at all the music stores.
Im gunna ask my guitar tutor about it because he knows all the shops in Sydney and ill be going there in around 4 weeks so I could pick up a guitar there.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
I would like a trem, but since im on a budget, and that I really want to try out a 7 string first, I'll think I'll get the Omen.
And I really want it cause Glass Prison just sounds so awesome.
to seven or not to seven? that is the question.....wow it rhymed! go me.

so yea, that is my question. Ive been playing my 6 for about 2 years now, its gotten by so and so. Ive always been facinated by the 7, but ive wondered, the lot of us do leads/solos on the bottom (highest? well the thin ones!) strings. so...whats a low B gonna do to the solos? nothing.... right?
PLus, i cant shred...yet, am working on it, still suck tho. And most bands i know who use 7 strings (except korn) are shredders or at least fast, lot faster than i am. So i wouldnt be able to use the 7 to its greatest potential.
Oh, and im asian and im 17. i got small hands!

so.
to seven or not to seven? that is the question...
-Jon
KsE

You know they rock.
Quote by de.sandman
to seven or not to seven? that is the question.....wow it rhymed! go me.

so yea, that is my question. Ive been playing my 6 for about 2 years now, its gotten by so and so. Ive always been facinated by the 7, but ive wondered, the lot of us do leads/solos on the bottom (highest? well the thin ones!) strings. so...whats a low B gonna do to the solos? nothing.... right?
PLus, i cant shred...yet, am working on it, still suck tho. And most bands i know who use 7 strings (except korn) are shredders or at least fast, lot faster than i am. So i wouldnt be able to use the 7 to its greatest potential.
Oh, and im asian and im 17. i got small hands!

so.
to seven or not to seven? that is the question...
-Jon

It's not about how fast you can play, a low B string creates a wall of sound since it's 5 semitones lower than the E, it is immense. Plus, it opens up a whole new world of sweeping and cool runs. You don't have to be fast to make a seven sound good, look at Stephen Carpenter from Deftones. Although, being able to play fast does make way for cool opportunities.

I would quite like a seven, but I need to buy myself a car instead
Yeah the low B can be used in a number of ways, it can help you create those bit thick riffs from bands like Deftones, fear factory and dream theater. You can use it to add to those big shred runs that cover the entire length of the fretboard, something i like to do though is to utilize the B for weird chord structures, it helps to create different chords that would normally be inacessable or very hard to maneuver on a regular 6.
Darn shredders using sevens, making me feel unworthy. joking

I might consider the 7 then. But first, do introduce me to some more bands using sevens with songs which are pretty 'playable' (will check out the ones posted)
Am into the modern rock/metalcore/metal scene.
I know a guy selling his 7, but its an ibanez GRX720BK.
Alder body, strat style tremolo, 22 frets., RG style body. Going for about 150$-200$ US.
I deffinately can negotiate a lower price, but ive heard around here that the G series are the lower end ones. Gio. worth it?

Oh, and humm de hum, how much was yours? it looks gooooooood....
KsE

You know they rock.
Last edited by de.sandman at Jun 6, 2007,
Yeah the S7320 cost me £600 with case due to lack of them in the country at the time (3 in the UK at the time ) But they normally retail at about £450 which i think is roughly $900 or so in USD, don't hold me to that though.

The Gio really isn't that bad if you're only dabbling into 7 strings, i would say either get used to playing one or buy a low end one like that, it isn't too bad with the Alder body.. a pickup swap could make it into a respectable guitar. I mean for $150-200 you cant expect much but then again it is like half the price of the RG7321, and you may unfortunately discover that you just cant gel naturally to a 7 stringer.

Edit - Oh and to olddirtyredhed, buying used rack gear is so much more efficent than forking out for it all brand new. I bought used due to it all being discontinued, but i still get some fantastic 80's/90's progressive metal tones from it, which suits me perfectly. I think that it total i have only spent £400 in total on my preamp and power amp roughly.
Last edited by hmmm_de_hum at Jun 6, 2007,
how about a formal or informal review of the differences between the body wood?

Mahogany X Basswood - same pups, same amp

59 X 62 (a buddy prefers the 62!)

pros and cons of the various trems

which pups for certain tones/genres

Quote by rockr09
Yeah I was just reading through and saw that.... but I like thickish necks cause my hands are kinda big. How big are they usually tho? On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being a gibson neck and 1 being a wizard neck, how would Schecter necks score?

personally, I think the Schecter C-7 HR neck feels very thin for a 7. It feels thinner than my older C-1 FR 6 string tbh. I took a pic of the neck profile for another guy a while ago. You can see it in relation to those cheap $12 stands that are in every music store. pic
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
Yeah the S7320 cost me £600 with case due to lack of them in the country at the time (3 in the UK at the time ) But they normally retail at about £450 which i think is roughly $900 or so in USD, don't hold me to that though.

They retail for $700 in the US.
we lose on Marshall, ENGL, Framus, etc... don't feel too bad Nick. That and the US dollar being in the toilet.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
so ive got my mitts on an rg1527 prestige and ill give you all a lil insight.

specs:
7 Strings

5piece Ultra Maple/Wenge neck
Basswood Body
24 Jumbo frets
Rosewood Finger Board
Edge Pro 7 bridge
IBZ V77 humbucking neck pickup
IBZ V87 humbucking bridge pickup
Pearl Dot Inlay
Includes an Ibanez hardcase

first impression
****in ace, had it about a week today!
the neck is to DIE for, satin smooth and fasy and fast to play on. the fretboard is prefectly conditioned and the fretowrk is top notch.
Edge pro bridge is incredible, never goes out of tune, feels good to palm and easy to use.
the pickups are great for stock, liveable but nothing amazing. going to be replaced with bkp's very soon.
the finish is royal blue with sparkle in it, VERY high gloss, but i fid the finish prove to chipping..but okay if your not a twat.

it came strung with 9-54, but REALLY opened up when i put 10-59 on her, and the case is LUSH

guitar cost me £440 and is amazing, pics soon, feel free to ask me.
Wow, I went and tried out the Omen-7 today, it was awesome, I only got to play it unplugged, but it played amazingly. The neck was perfect, and the action was super low and fast.
My mom said I could get it friday, so I'm about to be a 7-stringer I guess.
Although the strings didn't feel big enough for me, I'm guessing the B string was around a .54, and thats the normal for the low E on my 6 string, so I will get some bigger gauge strings first. Do they sell strings in packs of 7 or will I have to buy the 7th string seperately?
Last edited by rockr09 at Jun 6, 2007,
they have 7 string sets, just look around at your local shop. There's a Korn signature string set, etc.

And yes, I can officially say I'm in the 7 string legion, because I have a Schecter Revenger 7 (diamond series). I've had it for about a year, I just never knew that there was a 7 string forum, lol. But yeah, its pretty bad ass, I'll post a pic. up soon.

As far as it goes, its a really nice guitar, good paint job, etc. Its like a snow or speckle (I think its snow though) white color, silver hardware, and black tuners. Reverse headstock on it too. It's got one tuner for the 7th on one side, then the other 6 on the other. It's really nice, except two problems.

1) The top horn of the guitar can bust open your mouth if your not careful hasn't happened to me yet, but ya never know... *knocks on wood*

2) The stock pickups in here aren't really cutting it...I'm hoping to get some new pickups...I was thinking either Air Norton's, the Blaze pickups, or maybe Invader 7's...I'm still looking though. Any suggestions? I play hard rock, rock, metal, and sometimes do a little jazz or something funky on it. But mostly the first 3 genres though. If you need bands, let's say Korn, Flaw, Crossfade (anyone know what tuning he uses, I know he uses a 7 string).

btw, most everyone knows this, but if you are looking into getting either a baritone or a 7-string, get a 7...not just cause this is a biased board, but it makes for an uber easy to tune "ghetto baritone", as my friend so appropriately dubbed it...but yeah, 7 strings rule...but I think it'll be a while before someone wants an 8-string guitar board...right?
Sgt. Major--UG 7-string Legion

Guitars:
ESP/ltd. Viper-400 (see-thru black cherry rules)
Schecter Revenger 7
Washburn E/A 9 Festival
Ibanez Gio

Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head and XXX cab
BOSS GT-10
Fender 212R amp
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
What is the point of a baritone guitar exactly?
Also, I know if I get the Omen-7 that I'll probably want to replace the pickups. I want it for like John Petrucci, Metallica sounds and such.
hey that's something I forgot, are most 7 strings 26.5 scale? I know my C-7 is, I don't know about the other Schecters.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by maidenfan12
£440?!!? Where from?

soundcontrol, i know a guy lol

and baritone can be tuned down, and also, standard tuning sounds and feels a lot tighter, they sound a bit deeper and tighter. if that makes sense?
Quote by godofshred
most are 25'5
some schecters are 26'5
some are even 27 or 28!

interesting, I'm really liking the 26.5 scale. Thanks man
amp clips
amp vids
True, my Schecter C-7 Blackjack has a 26.5" scale and with a 62 as the low B it sounds pretty damn tight Also, the longer scale makes it easier to do some faster runs at the highest frets. It took a little getting used to at first, esp. with a set of .10s on it, but after a few weeks my callouses got harder and those David Gilmourish bends aren't a problem anymore

I'll post pics sometime. Great thread btw!
Alright, so I had my heart set on either an esp m-II or an ibanez rg 20th, and just tuning down a whole step for metal, but I originally wanted a Schecter Jeff Loomis sig. I played a schecter c-7, and it felt alright, but awkward considering I have small hands.

Is it worth getting a 7 string, with it's main purpose to be a lead guitar? Or should I just stick with 6 strings, considering I don't really have large hands?

OR: Does playing a 7 string, but ignoring the seventh string, feel like playing a 6 string, as far as neck thickness and string spacing goes?

Thanks in advance.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
I got a Washburn WG587 a while back, and now all my six string guitars are pretty much collecting dust besides my acoustic, haha. Only thing I dislike is the thick neck the Washburn has, but besides that, it sounds pretty damn good imo, even with the stock pickups. I wish the Ibanez RG 7321 came in mahogany, I want the Ibanez thin neck but with mahogany, and without a trem. Anyone know anything as an alternative?

And Idk how some ppl use 56's on their 7 strings. My B string is a 72, the low E 56, etc.
i own an eb/mm jp7.
the white sparkle finish looks yellowish..
it bought it second-hand for 220000 yen.
the shop said white sparkle is now in limited edition.
the case has this sickening scent.
if i have the money id replace it with a new one, mystic dream finish.
Quote by JimmyTheRipper
I got a Washburn WG587 a while back, and now all my six string guitars are pretty much collecting dust besides my acoustic, haha. Only thing I dislike is the thick neck the Washburn has, but besides that, it sounds pretty damn good imo, even with the stock pickups. I wish the Ibanez RG 7321 came in mahogany, I want the Ibanez thin neck but with mahogany, and without a trem. Anyone know anything as an alternative?

And Idk how some ppl use 56's on their 7 strings. My B string is a 72, the low E 56, etc.

I have one of those washburns!

My B string was 104, Low E was 62
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by lespaulrocks39
Alright, so I had my heart set on either an esp m-II or an ibanez rg 20th, and just tuning down a whole step for metal, but I originally wanted a Schecter Jeff Loomis sig. I played a schecter c-7, and it felt alright, but awkward considering I have small hands.

Is it worth getting a 7 string, with it's main purpose to be a lead guitar? Or should I just stick with 6 strings, considering I don't really have large hands?

OR: Does playing a 7 string, but ignoring the seventh string, feel like playing a 6 string, as far as neck thickness and string spacing goes?

Thanks in advance.

Let's see if I can answer this for ya. And I have sort of small hands, more likes stubby fingers actually.

Getting a 7th string, with main purpose as a lead guitar, is an ok idea. It shouldn't be too hard, and your bound to want to play in the lower parts...trust me, scales come out a lot better, feel better, and are just cooler looking on a 7 string...that b-string does wonders.

Playing a 7 string like a 6 string is a bit of a task, if I'm getting what your saying. By bit of a task, I mean about a day of getting used to. It really isn't that bad. Here is what I would look for when ya go get one.

Neck width (that's just obvious, but make sure its comfy)
Neck depth/thickness (will your hand feel tight in there, or will you be straining to make a single chord)
Quickness (can you move fast on it, or are you slow and struggling)

Those things will matter, so be sure to choose wisely. I know lots of people are happy with Ibanez 7 strings, and I personally would've wanted one too. And Schecters are pretty damn good, from what I know. My Revenger is a great guitar...great neck, fret width, and its about as thick as a regular guitar. Just find what ya want, but you're on the right track.

BTW, whoever was wondering about the scale length, some of them are the extreme lengths because someone (Stephen Carpenter of the Deftones) has a 7-string Baritone guitar...that's not a super low tuning, its just a longer scale of the fret board...leave it to him to do that. I've never played on one, so I couldn't tell ya how it is.
Sgt. Major--UG 7-string Legion

Guitars:
ESP/ltd. Viper-400 (see-thru black cherry rules)
Schecter Revenger 7
Washburn E/A 9 Festival
Ibanez Gio

Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head and XXX cab
BOSS GT-10
Fender 212R amp
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
Quote by lespaulrocks39

Thanks in advance.

The first real band I joined, the other guitarist only played 7 strings. To keep up without having to tune to B I bought a cheap washburn 7 string. After putting new strings on it and adjusting the action some I realized "My hands really aren't big enough for a 7 string". Well, I kept with it a few weeks because nothing was gonna stop they other guitarist from using one and eventually I got used to it.

You will get used to using a 7 string. For people with extremly tiny hands, I'd recommend a baritone, which would be more of a rhythm guitar; but if you want to play lead and have thick bold low chugging baby killing hell burning dead raising riffage...a 7 string is the way to go.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
just curious
are there any uses for 7 strings other than metal?
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!