Page 3 of 256
I'm sorry for Re-Posting my question, but it got missed and remained unanswered.

What is Killswitching?

For some reason, I had the n00bish idea that it was copying the guitar style of Killswitch Engage or something...
Quote by GreenAC/DC123
I've been working on the intoanation on my strat because the high E and B string intonation was way off. I fixed the E string, but whenever I move the saddle on the B string, the intonation doesn't change. What could be causing this problem?

i hear this question from time to time. the only thing i can come up with, is that the string is snagged somewhere, maybe at the nut cut or that the saddle is stuck.

a new string detune it, move the string around. make sure the saddle is moving.

an old string, swap the string.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by N3ur0
are you using new strings? the best time to set your intonation is right after you've changed the strings and stretched them out a bit with your hand.

i have a pitch problem as well. my intonation is set right (i can play any note on the fretboard into a tuner and it's in tune), but certain intervals sound absolutely terribly out of tune unless i tune the higher string down 14 cents (to a perfect interval). this makes barre chords out of the question. any ideas? my guitar is in my sig, i'm using GHS .10's and the korg tuner everybody and his brother has.

are they jumbo frets? sometimes a low or high fret can toss a note out of tune.
how u press at that fret is very important
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by bartdevil_metal
I'm sorry for Re-Posting my question, but it got missed and remained unanswered.

What is Killswitching?

For some reason, I had the n00bish idea that it was copying the guitar style of Killswitch Engage or something...

a kill switch cuts the power to the guitar. "kills" it.
so when u flick the kill switch u get a RAM sound.

sometimes guys will zero out the volume on one pup, flick back and forth to get the same effect.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
are they jumbo frets? sometimes a low or high fret can toss a note out of tune.
how u press at that fret is very important

it's a les paul, so i assume they're medium jumbo. i don't think it's my playing, i can play the same stuff on similar guitars and be just fine.
well, it could be that a few of the frets are a little high. so that really wouldnt be ur fault.

you could fashion a straight edge, fret frets long, to check for high frets.
or take it in to a tech, see if he can find a problem in that area.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

This Should Be Stickied

Quote by Alter-Bridge
My nipples. WHAT ARE THEY FOR?!?!?!?!
Quote by nick dixon
Put your penis in a raging hot fire, that should melt the bottle off
Quote by Leonheart
4e574e57363g, despite your first post on a thread almost always being PWNT you kickass.
is it possible to change my floyd rose lo pro locking tremelo to just a regular tremelo, like that of a strat? my guitar is a jackson style custom with an inverted headstock..
Quote by TheClincher
is it possible to change my floyd rose lo pro locking tremelo to just a regular tremelo, like that of a strat? my guitar is a jackson style custom with an inverted headstock..

You'd have a big problem, the top of your guitar is routed and there's bigger holes there.

Whats the reason you wanna do this? loss of tuning?
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by 4e574e57363g
This Should Be Stickied

nah, it's cool. im on every morning. madpickin is usually here at other times too, so it'll usually be on the first page.

good morning im here a while for questions.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok, im in a predicament
i recently got my bass restrung for me, with pretty low action
and last night, i left the bass in my garage, which was pretty humid.
and now, the action is like half an inch at the twelth fret
is there any way for me to fix this? did the humidity do this to the bass?
yeah, i've got gear too...
squier strat
squier tele
Ibanez rg4ex
Boss DS-1
Morely Bad Horsie Wah
Digitech Hot Head
Boss GE-7
Zoom G1X
Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express
Vox AD50vt
yeah, u can try lowering the action at the bridge.

does it have these kind of saddles or similar?

if so, a small allen wrench on the front pegs will adjust each string to a better height.

dont leave the guitar in a humid garage. the heat and the moisture will rust the parts and possibly warp the neck a little.

let me know if it's a different style bridge, or if this doesnt help wt the action.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by azn_guitarist25
alright dude cheers after this gets done i'll see whether or not i wanna sell it

you're selling it? why? the neck is too thin for ya?

**mainly for bumping purpose**
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
hey, im here for questions for a while.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i have an ibanez sa260fm and im getting fret buzz on the a and e, can you help me fix it?
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
Quote by davo_333
i have an ibanez sa260fm and im getting fret buzz on the a and e, can you help me fix it?

The low E and A string?

You could try increasing your action little by little until the buzz is gone

those 2 posts you see on the left and right side of the bridge, raise the bass side
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Jun 11, 2007,
hey what up. I been having this problem for a while with my squier strat. basically after playing hard rock, kind of straight eights songs basically stuff like greenday, basically I usually have these three problems
- the 8th fret on the A string goes dead,
-while the higher frets (15-22) of the low E string is heading in that direction.
-Also the high E- string get stuck to the side of the neck alot and has been breaking at the rate of about once a week

what can i do to correct this, cause normally this happens on a monthly basis about two to three wks after I get a setup done
Quote by renk
hey what up. I been having this problem for a while with my squier strat. basically after playing hard rock, kind of straight eights songs basically stuff like greenday, basically I usually have these three problems
- the 8th fret on the A string goes dead,
-while the higher frets (15-22) of the low E string is heading in that direction.
-Also the high E- string get stuck to the side of the neck alot and has been breaking at the rate of about once a week

what can i do to correct this, cause normally this happens on a monthly basis about two to three wks after I get a setup done

solution for problem
(a) & (b)
- get your frets leveled
- increase your action on that particular string
- if you're more prone at using a particular fret, the fretwire may show wear and that also may cause the buzzing on the other frets
(c)
- monitor your technique and make sure you bend up/tap lightly if the action is low and fretting not too excessively
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
moring
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I have an Ibanez RG321MH, I got a problem with my volume knob, when the volume is at 0 everything is fine but once I turn the knob I get this noise all the way as I'm turning the knob until it starts fading away once I get to maximum volume. What do you think this is and how can I solve it?
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
sounds like a dirty or broken pot.

if u have pot cleaner with lube u can try to spray some in there.
if u dont have any cleaner, u can use WD-40 as a last resort.

the only other option is to swap out the pot.

i dont suggest u buy the cleaner, as a new pot costs less, is simple to put in, and will definately work.
there is no telling if the cleaner will.

if u spray cleaner or wd40 into the space between the pot and the guitar where it's mounted, then make sure that u spin the knob to work it in, use a very small amount, and LET THE WHOLE THING DRY before plugging back in.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Thanx jj1565, I just want to know how to install it the pot what exactly does it look like?

Quote by breakstuff
Thanx jj1565, I just want to know how to install it the pot what exactly does it look like?

Thats what she said...
UGmusic
thank madpickin03. The action adjustment worked perfect for the other strings but while it greatly reduced the buzzing on the eight fret of the A string there is still a noticeable amount
btw. its not that i'm overly fond of that particular fret for some reason it just seems to always go dead regardless of how much i use that area of the fretboard
what are the best strings for an electric guitar? i have heard that ernie ball hybrid slinkeys are.
Thanx Madpickin03!

breakstuff, dont forget. to take a picture, or mark down on paper where each wire is connected. then just attach the new pot in the same way.

no reason to get a pot with extra lugs (prongs) either. unless u had 4 wire pups and a desire for push pull use.

mj^ i like DR strings and Daddario strings.
make sure u get a similar gauge unless ur willing to set the guitar up again afterwards.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Alright, thanx jj15665.

Quote by renk
thank madpickin03. The action adjustment worked perfect for the other strings but while it greatly reduced the buzzing on the eight fret of the A string there is still a noticeable amount
btw. its not that i'm overly fond of that particular fret for some reason it just seems to always go dead regardless of how much i use that area of the fretboard

If its noticeable acoustically, then you dont have to worry much about that. If it buzzes even when you plug it through the amp, then you probably need to raise the action a tad bit more.

Are the strings old? And also, you "may" need truss rod adjustment, see previous post on this thread that says "fret the 1st fret....and so on"
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by mjividen33
what are the best strings for an electric guitar? i have heard that ernie ball hybrid slinkeys are.

no such thing as the best strings, its all preference

i personally like Ernieballs, Daddarios makes my fingers perspire unnaturally....
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
morNing
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Jenny help i've got a cold and my throat is stinking dry what should i do. and im setting my body up
dweeb^ i would think after thousands of threads, ud know how to set up.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^no flaming jenny!!!!!

meanie head.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
moring. questions welcomed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yep i got a bit of a fix...

basically the screws in the back of my guitar (holding the tremolo spring thingy)are bummed and 1 of em is in really tight, so i cannot undo it. The screw has begun to round off also. It jolly well seems like i am up a certain creek without a paddle, cos if they round off i think they will probably NEVER come out.

lets put this doctor to the test Ppl!
what are u looking to do with the bridge?

i understand u want to loosen that screw, but perhaps u can get the same effect by adding or subtracting springs instead.

for example, if the bridge is too tight because the screw is stuck, then level it with the other screw, and take off a spring, ur use a less intense, spring type, or set up.

if u REALLY need to loosen that screw. ull need to go to the hardware store, with the guitar, and buy a stripped screw bit for a drill. or what ever they sell for stripped screws.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeh im gunna have to get the stripped screw thing methinks, because

1) if i have 3 springs, and the bridge at standard tuning, then the bridge is forward dumped

2) if i add the 4th, then that overbalances it and makes it backwards dumped, meaning eitherway the balance it bummed.

do you have any idea of what the stripped screw things are like? are they things i can purchase and take away or, must i take in the whole guitar?

if they dont work then i guess i shall just have to find a string guage to balance it.

Finally do they sell replacement screws at a guitar store, or must i find correct replacements at a hardware shop?

Thankye for the advice thus far