Page 4 of 257
^you may be able to find some at the music store.

BUT!

if you have a dremel, you can cut a slot in the screw and turn it into a flat head screw. then you can pull it out w/o a stripped screw tool
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
usually ull see a stripped screw "bit" for a drill. but they might have a screw driver just for stripped screws.

it;s got a point on it to dig into the screw. (if they dont have one, then a pinhole sized drill bit will have to be drilled into the screw, to grip it.) if u can budge it then a pair of pliers will get it out.

i only suggested taking in the guitar, to show the guys the screw too. then they could give u the right sized replacement. ull want a long screw, try to match it up to what u pull out, shouldnt be hard.

let me see if i can find the specific tool...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If its the claw springs that you're trying to remove, then make sure you've taken out all the springs 1st to throw all the unnecessary force acting on the claw. That way it'd be easier to get it off.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
ok good morning, im seeing alot of setup threads again. so ill give this another try...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

haha, i wish this stupid thread would sit on the front page, so i wouldnt have to skim thru so many set up type threads.

people, let's make sure to adjust action at the bridge first.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

hi.

im sorry if this looks really noobish, but im in some kind of a problem here.

i just re-strung my strat yesterday from stock 9's (fender bullet) to d'addario 9's. (i think) i did everything by the book, and after restringing, i measured again and everything seems to be in the same measurements as before (bridge height, action, etc.)

however, the hum from the pickups grew louder. with the stock strings, it was tolerable, but now, it just hums like crazy especially at the neck, middle and bridge positions. positions 2 & 4 has little to no hum at all.

especially when the bridge pickup is selected, where its so loud it sounds like a buzz or something.

and my setup on my vox is vol and master vol at 11o'clock, and gain at 9o'clock.

i tried some wacky stuff, like turning the guitar down while facing the amp (where the strings of the guitar is facing the floor), then i get no hum. i tried standing up, turning away from the amp, and stood in front of it, and there's no hum. when i try to walk around, the hum/buzz returns louder than ever. i tried a different cable and its still the same.

i feel that the hum shouldnt be this loud at such a low gain setting.

please help. i have no idea whats wrong here. is the floor im standing grounded? is there something wrong with the pickups? my guitar? my amp?
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
first thing to check is ur guitar cable and ur guitar input jack.

check those out, make sure the jack isnt loose and then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
first thing to check is ur guitar cable and ur guitar input jack.

check those out, make sure the jack isnt loose and then repost.

checked it out. plugged my other guitar in, and it was quiet. no hum at all. tried the input of the guitar, and it looked tight enough...
Jong

Quote by glaz31
checked it out. plugged my other guitar in, and it was quiet. no hum at all. tried the input of the guitar, and it looked tight enough...

open up the "output" jack and make sure the connection to ground and hot are proper and that there's no solder breakage.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
if both wires are still connected at that jack, ^ like said.
then u need to flip the guitar over, open the trem cavity and make sure the wire in there, is still attached to the metal bar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by madpickin03
open up the "output" jack and make sure the connection to ground and hot are proper and that there's no solder breakage.

i checked the jack, there was one wire that broke away, soldered it back and it looks clean again.

Quote by jj1565
if both wires are still connected at that jack, ^ like said.
then u need to flip the guitar over, open the trem cavity and make sure the wire in there, is still attached to the metal bar.

checked the back, and everything looks clean. wire still connected.

off to work today and il check back later.

also, i looked closely at the action of the strings again, and saw that the high and low E strings are lower than the other four by about 1-1.5mm. is that supposed to be like that, or are they supposed to be the same? (i remembered they were also a bit lower even before i changed the strings...)
Jong

Quote by jj1565
haha, i wish this stupid thread would sit on the front page, so i wouldnt have to skim thru so many set up type threads.

people, let's make sure to adjust action at the bridge first.

I wish this was stickied...I couldnt find it for the longest time and got tired of searching through all the posts
Quote by glaz31
i checked the jack, there was one wire that broke away, soldered it back and it looks clean again.

ok cool, hopefully that was the only problem. ull definately get buzzing if one of those two wires was knocked off.

action is really preference. so if a couple of the strings feels a little high or low to u. u can adjust those strings up or down by adjusting the two pegs onthe front face of each saddle.
u need a tiny allen wrench to do this.

and yeah^ mr, ill bump it again this week. keep it going a while longer.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

madpick, this is for u....

Quote by SlimSG
I was told to repost this under this thread so here it goes ^_^. I just purchased a Dean Razorback and its got the floyd rose liscenced tremolo on it. I have never used a tremolo system like this before to tune and I am having quite a bit of trouble. I unlock the locks up by the headstock and tune two strings at a time before re-locking and un-locking the next one. the Base of the tremolo wasn't parallell to the body but for some odd reason it seems as though it decided to fix itself and now it is. Heres the problem. I'm getting better at getting the strings tuned that when I lock them they at the right note, not sharp or flatted. It's after that it comes out of tune almost immediatly, and I'll mess around with the fine tuners for a bit till its back in but then not too much later its back out again >_<. Any suggestions for tuning a tremolo system like this? Oh one other thing, I did start leaving the whammy bar off thinking maybe the locks were not tightning right but it still goes to what Ill call its own tuning and stays there (some notes flat others sharped)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^ is that from this thread?

Anyways, to SlimSG, you're doing it wrong, you gotta unlock all the nuts 1st before tuning and not 1 by one. Here, just follow these simple steps.

Tuning Floyd Rose

1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licensed Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by jj1565
ok cool, hopefully that was the only problem. ull definately get buzzing if one of those two wires was knocked off.

ok, got back from work and tried it in church as well with a new cable. the buzz kinda died down a bit from the neck and middle pickups, but the bridge pickup still buzzed like crazy. is it a pickup problem?
Jong

are u sure u connected that input wire correctly?

if u have, then the buzz on the bridge pup, is going to be a loose wire going to the bridge, or to the switch from the bridge pickup.

also, if u open it up, ull want to shield the back of the pickguard, and in the pup cavity to lessen any additional buzzing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by glaz31
ok, got back from work and tried it in church as well with a new cable. the buzz kinda died down a bit from the neck and middle pickups, but the bridge pickup still buzzed like crazy. is it a pickup problem?

Have you tried it "outside" the church venue?
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
yes, i did. the loose wire wasnt really "loose" in terms of it went in all directions. the soldering just chipped off or whatever, and the wire was still in place. i just resoldered it.

im kinda afraid to touch anything behind the pickguard, because if i mess it mess and it becomes irrepairable, i dont think i have enough money to buy another one. im not really a techie guy. i think il just go to a guitar tech here and use some store credits i still have to have it re-setup and perfect for 10-gauge strings.

thanks for the help, guys. much appreciated

EDIT: lol at outside the church venue. the buzz actually died down while inside the church compared to when im using it at home. lol
Jong

LAF, ok well, i hope it works out for u.
just be warned. a setup, probably wont get rid of electronic buzzing.

if they open it they usually love to charge a bunch. so ask them what they think u need.

you dont want to to set it up, only to have to open it again for a loose wire.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok, thanks for the heads up. maybe il just befriend the guitar tech for while and let him fix it off work hours. and just give him a burger afterwards
Jong

yep. and eventually check out pup upgrades. maybe something that runs silent.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok will do. probably a vintage noiseless, or any pickup that will retain single coil cleans, probably...

... i just hope my buying impulse wont take over and coerce me to buy those noiseless ones the moment i come to the store to have the guitar checked
Jong

ok, and if u ever feel like putting in a pup urself. we can talk u thru it.
it's not as hard as u think
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

alright, thanks. youre all great people.

i think i have just enough store credits to get a set of noiseless pups... but then again im planning to get myself a wah... and a delay... or a chorus... plus i have to shell out cash for a gift... plus i have to have enough money to pay for my college, with me going fulltime...

AAAARGGHHHH.... sometimes, life happenings just gets in the way of things... in the worst possible moment
Jong

ok anyone else this morning?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

so my strings are an inch above the frets. i adjusted the trussrod and i heard something snap. is that bad? i turned the truss rod 10 or 11 times, i think.

Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
LAF, nah that's cool. just keep turning until the rod spins right out of the wood.

*disclaimer: he's just kidding folks.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

that's what i was thinking. could i just beltsand the fretboard off to get to it instead?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
hey!
on my ibanez jetking 2 the G,B and high E string got out of tune after some bending. I tried to temporalily solve this problem by tighening the screws on the side of the tuning pegs a little ( not completely tight oviously). My question is this: Will the tight screws result in the mechanics wearing down inside the tuning peg? It works perfectly and it stays in tune VERY well and even after heavy bending it is tuned perfectly.
should i leave it that way?
thanks in advance!
Right, well I have a Dean Avalanche MQ. The problem is, I get TONS of feedback. I cant ever let go of my strings. I like the guitar itself so i dont wanna get rid of it, but I wanna go in and insulate with tin foil.... like they say helps.. and I wanna check my electronics. The problem is this (pic):

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/Minichibiguitar/GuitarBody.jpg

If i unscrew the pickups, Im afraid theyll fall into the guitar (or the screws) or something... uhhh lemme explain. Someone else was there when this tech dude had to open my guitar, and supposedly the screws are in springs (?) like so when you tighten the pickups go down or up.

Will it be seriously hard to get em back in????? what are some tips to make it ezier?

Thanks
Last edited by minichibi at Jun 24, 2007,
Quote by Dr.Evil Knödel
hey!
on my ibanez jetking 2 the G,B and high E string got out of tune after some bending. I tried to temporalily solve this problem by tighening the screws on the side of the tuning pegs a little ( not completely tight oviously). My question is this: Will the tight screws result in the mechanics wearing down inside the tuning peg? It works perfectly and it stays in tune VERY well and even after heavy bending it is tuned perfectly.
should i leave it that way?
thanks in advance!

It wouldnt wear them significantly, its just that what you may feel today as tight might be loose in the future. Dont overtighten them though, just let it snug, it wont help much with the tuning stability but dont keep them too loose coz even if you bump something the pegs would turn.

As for ur tuning stability problem, stretch those strings and keep the winds at the pegs clean and tidy, 3-4 winds.
Quote by Travv0
I dunno if this goes here, but I have an ESP, and I was wondering if there was any way to give it better harmonics and distortion without me buying any new parts.

- Play around with your EQ
- Adjust your pickup height to a more preferable tone
- Recalibrate your action/truss rod for better string vibration/feel
- Vibrato, technique, etc

*Mostly preference*
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by minichibi
Right, well I have a Dean Avalanche MQ. The problem is, I get TONS of feedback. I cant ever let go of my strings. I like the guitar itself so i dont wanna get rid of it, but I wanna go in and insulate with tin foil.... like they say helps.. and I wanna check my electronics. The problem is this (pic):

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/Minichibiguitar/GuitarBody.jpg

If i unscrew the pickups, Im afraid theyll fall into the guitar (or the screws) or something... uhhh lemme explain. Someone else was there when this tech dude had to open my guitar, and supposedly the screws are in springs (?) like so when you tighten the pickups go down or up.

Will it be seriously hard to get em back in????? what are some tips to make it ezier?

Thanks

You probably have too much gain or standing too near to ur amp. Mind your distance and try moving around so the feedback would be less. This sort of things sometimes happens to guitar equipped with humbucker and low-end SS amp.

As for the pickup screws, an easier and hard at the same time solution would be you take off all you strings and remove the pickguard. See the length of both the screws and determine your "minimum" height of the pickup, DONT exceed below that in the future and keep note about it. That's the only way to know how low can you lower your pickups.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
so the a method of changing the strings on a OFR,

turn fine tuners half way out, unlock nut, bend down and put a 9 volt covered in tape in the cavity, get the strings out of the headstock tuners, unlock the sattles and take the strings out, put new strings in sattle and lock them (do the last 3 steps one by one), tune, take out the 9 volt, lock the nut, and tune with fine tuners if needed.

^^ is this correct? just making sure before trying it.
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Wrong, you undo/restring the strings 1 BY 1, i cannot stress this more. You dont need a 9V battery for this. Other than that you're probably set.

You only block the bridge like so if you wanna clean your neck/oil it down, or else its just a waste of time. If you're too curious/blur, again, refer to post#142 it has all the details, see below area, there's a vid on how to restring one.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
ok.. but it still helps to block (edit: level) the bridge to prevent string breakage right? I tried to say do each 1 by 1 "do the last 3 steps one by one"

EDIT: Im not tuning the strings, in changing them Btw

EDIT: A Dowel would help..... #4 (gasp!) (Adjust the springs untill the dowel will slip out)

"4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body."
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Last edited by Oblivian at Jun 24, 2007,