Page 5 of 256
^ after restringing you gotta tune it eventually...

suit yourself if you still wanna block it
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
in for questions....
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i need help with my LTD Deluxe MH-1000. When i play the 15 fret as well as some other in the upper registers the note sometimes cancels out, especially when i bend. i was wondering if i would need to adjust my truss rod? Ive tried the bridge but it takes a bit of height to clear the fret thats blocking the notes from ringing out.
^ check your neck relief

find on the 1st page the one that says "fret the 1st fret.." and so on
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
bump.

and if anyone wants to find this thread, just search and click on "threads" ive started.
i hardly have any, so u should be able to find this.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Hi, I recently purchased a used Ibanez SZ520. Its a long story...but it is at a relatives house. Anyhow, when I get it from their house, I need to adjust it. I noticed that the action is abnormally high starting around the 10th fret. But it is very low around the 1-3 frets. How would I go about fixing this. I want the action to be around where my Epi Les Paul is. (I haven't changed the action on the LP, it is all stock) Would I just have to screw down thr bridge more to lower the action? btw, I use .09 strings. Dunno if that matter at all, but the ones on the guitar right now are the ones that came with it, which are .10s. Thanks, and any help is much appreciated.
Be cool.
ok are u going to swap them back to 9's? or leave the 10's?

and i dont have the bridge in front of me. but if there's a thumbscrew u can spin to lower the bridge, then lower that. if there's only a top screw on the bridge post, yes u would turn that to lower the bridge.

detune a little, loosen the post lower the thumbscrew (pointed to by red arrow) and tighten it all up.

if u plan on swapping to 9's make sure u swap one string at a time and note that ur bridge will flatten out a bit more than it is.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
ok are u going to swap them back to 9's? or leave the 10's?

and i dont have the bridge in front of me. but if there's a thumbscrew u can spin to lower the bridge, then lower that. if there's only a top screw on the bridge post, yes u would turn that to lower the bridge.

detune a little, loosen the post lower the thumbscrew (pointed to by red arrow) and tighten it all up.

if u plan on swapping to 9's make sure u swap one string at a time and note that ur bridge will flatten out a bit more than it is.

I do plan switching them back to .09's. I think I only have a top screw. Thanks for the help.
Be cool.
ok dont forget to detune a small bit, if the tension is too tight, it;s harder to adjust and u could break a string.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Okay I have tuning problems on my G string and it happens fairly often, no clue why. The only other strings that go out of tune occasionally are the b (2nd most often) and the high e(3rd), those are usually pretty uncommon, the rest are pretty much always in tune. What could be the problem, it could be my stringing technique but even when my guitar man does it (who is very experienced) it happens, I have Grover tuners but I heard those were good, any help is appreciated.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
G's are always a problem. it's meant to be a wound string, and on electrics its generally not.

anyway. wrap that one differently. tuck it into the tuning hole a second time if u need to.
also, lube the cut in the nut

what technique are u using? are u getting a few wraps around the tuner?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Yeah I get a few wraps around the tuning but I also need to practice more cause I've only changed strings 4-5 times, not a lot. Anyway, I've heard about putting it through the peg twice, should I put it in the peg when I'm nearly done? What do you mean lube the cut in the nut?

Edit: While I'm here let me get some things out of the way. How should I get rid of dead skin on a fretboard? What fretboard cleaning product do you recommend (actually could I use lizard spit on it?)?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Jun 29, 2007,
lets see, i dont use lizard spit. i dont really know what that is.
i use dunlop fretboard oil, or conditioner. rag, put ur elbow into it. some guys scrape the crap off with a pick, just dont press too hard. a soft tooth brush works too.

also dont leave the strings off too long if ur unsure how to set up the guitar again afterwards.

i did mean to stick it thru the tuner again at the end, or to pass it under the original string wrap, then straight up, kinking it, and then back thru the hole.

i dont do that. i just use this guide for the most part.
http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring_electricstandard.html

with grovers, no problem.

you can also buy a set of electric strings with a wound G.

umm, oh yeah and i mean put something in the cut at the nut where the string passes thru, making sure the string moves freely thru the cut. and isnt getting snagged.

a plastic nut, u could use petrolium jelly, chapstick, or nut sauce.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Thank you, now to the axe!
Quote by Senor Kristian
haha ok, good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

so, jenny and other smart people of UG, how come that some gibsons have their bridge pickup flush with the mounting ring and still not get fretbuzz or anything while i have my pickup...higher than that (strings are same distance from the pickup)

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
me confused.

pickup height is not related to fretbuzz.

adjust urs as high as u want, just not so high that the strings rub against it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

no no...its more like...i dunno

some gibson LPs have their bridge pickup like really low, and the action low as well while i can't do that...

NEVAMEIND!...or something

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

if u really want to get lower action, u need to figure out the mystery of the truss rod.

knowing how to correctly adjust it is the most important thing. once u get a good neck angle, ur able to get the lowest action possible for THAT guitar.

lower action lower pup height.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

oh ok...i was just wondering...i'm fine with where it is right now

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

LAF, ok bro.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

so...i'll keep spamming and by the way ask questions

are frets supposed to be real..round or is it ok if the strings wore part of them off...like...not really round anymore, kinda flat?

and intonation: if i try to get the intonation right for the E string...it varies a lot depending on how hard i press at the 12th, 17th fret...should i go all the way down, or just...not

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

How much does a typical setup usually cost at like GC or Sam Ash if they even do set ups.
Current Set-Up
Guitars:
1997 USA Standard Strat
Mitchell Acoustic-Electric
Stella Acoustic (Open G for slide)
Tom Delonge Signature
Amps:
Peavey Classic 30
Pedals:
Crybaby->EHX NYC Big Muff->Boss DS-1->TS-9 w/808 mod->Ibanez FL9->Boss Dm-3
Hi again. How would I go about cleaning my fretboard? I don't know if this is the right place to post this. But what materials would I need? How would I go about doing it? I think I have a rosewood fretboard but am unsure. Check the guitars in my signature. Thanks,
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
Hi again. How would I go about cleaning my fretboard? I don't know if this is the right place to post this. But what materials would I need? How would I go about doing it? I think I have a rosewood fretboard but am unsure. Check the guitars in my signature. Thanks,

some lemon oil on a cotton cloth
Current Set-Up
Guitars:
1997 USA Standard Strat
Mitchell Acoustic-Electric
Stella Acoustic (Open G for slide)
Tom Delonge Signature
Amps:
Peavey Classic 30
Pedals:
Crybaby->EHX NYC Big Muff->Boss DS-1->TS-9 w/808 mod->Ibanez FL9->Boss Dm-3
Quote by hendriko
are frets supposed to be real..round or is it ok if the strings wore part of them off...like...not really round anymore, kinda flat?

and intonation: if i try to get the intonation right for the E string...it varies a lot depending on how hard i press at the 12th, 17th fret...should i go all the way down, or just...not

when frets develop flat spots, they can strat to pick up buzz or dead spots.

and if u have a high, crooked or low spot on a fret, yes it can effect ur intonation.
u can either compentate for it by pressing that fret differently, or u can redress some worn frets. and about $20 per
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by blinkreallyfast
How much does a typical setup usually cost at like GC or Sam Ash if they even do set ups.

im not crazy about the service and sam ash or GC. but without a floyd, and depending on what u need. could average $40 USD
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by thedude051

dunlop makes a nice product for rosewood boards. if u take all ur strings off be warned that u might need to do some guitar setup afterwards.

madpick has a great baord cleaning tutorial for those of u that are really into this...

http://z15.invisionfree.com/The_Tavern/index.php?showtopic=847
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 30, 2007,
bumpercars
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

where?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
where?

At the town festival. C'mon everyone, free rides and popcorn on me!
Be cool.
Bump,

im in for awhile, been so busy lately
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Hi Ive got a question about my YAMAHA acoustic.
i have a YAMAHA acoustic guitar not sure what model and i want to replace the pickguard because the crappy picks i bought dug into the pickguard and now i have gouges in the pickguard and whenever my pick slides up against it it makes a terrible "fingernails on the chalkboard" anoying sound. i got the pickguard but i need to know how to remove the old one, anybody know?
How do I set up a 6-point vintage trem properly? Where it will go back to the same spot when I use it? Also, do I have to have a certain type of screws for it?
Quote by GU1T4R-H3R0
Hi Ive got a question about my YAMAHA acoustic.
i have a YAMAHA acoustic guitar not sure what model and i want to replace the pickguard because the crappy picks i bought dug into the pickguard and now i have gouges in the pickguard and whenever my pick slides up against it it makes a terrible "fingernails on the chalkboard" anoying sound. i got the pickguard but i need to know how to remove the old one, anybody know?

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/pickguards.htm
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by rockr09
How do I set up a 6-point vintage trem properly? Where it will go back to the same spot when I use it? Also, do I have to have a certain type of screws for it?

Basically, you can set it up to go both ways like above but you'll have very limited pullup and the tuning stability may be questionable since the bridge "may" get stuck and not returning to its norm.

If you want a better tuning stability with your vintage trem, you can screw the springs at the back so that your bridge would be straight parallel against the body. Doing this would eliminate your pullup capability but you can downtune easily.

Locking tuners helps. Im not sure what you meants by certain types of screws, if they're the right size, that'll do.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
ill be on a while...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62