Ok lets start by saying this, I'm a noob... I've been playing for a month or so, I own an acustic and I can play some songs already.
I was wondering what does power chord mean(sorry main lenguage is spanish, maybe I know this but I don't know its translation) I was also wondering if someone could name great rithm guitarrist and their respective bands, tx.
It's a root note, it's fifth and an optional octave.

example is 355 or a 577 on the EAD strings.
a power chord is just the root note and its perfect fifth and sometimes the octave

e|-|-|-|
B|-|-|-|
G|-|-|-|
D|-|-|x|
A|-|-|x|
E|o|-|-|

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
It may sound something extremely difficult at first, but it isn't. Actually it's quite easy.

To build a power chord you pick a root note, it's 5th, and it's octave.

And to clear some things, a chord must have at least 3 notes. For the power chord, you can play only the root and the 5th, but you can't really take that as a chord.

Btw, if in a tab appears A5, C5, E5, etc, those are actually power chords.
EAD: 577
ADG: 577
DGB: 578 (the same reason you tune to 4th string instead of 5th
GBe: 588 i think
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
Quote by Coronas
It may sound something extremely difficult at first, but it isn't. Actually it's quite easy.

To build a power chord you pick a root note, it's 5th, and it's octave.

And to clear some things, a chord must have at least 3 notes. For the power chord, you can play only the root and the 5th, but you can't really take that as a chord.

Btw, if in a tab appears A5, C5, E5, etc, those are actually power chords.

Just to clear something up: all powerchords, in any form, are diads not chords. When people say 'notes' in that kind of context they mean DIFFERENT notes so the three finger powerchord shape still only contains two notes.

Quote by -Blue-
Wait, will the 2 fingers that aren't the root always be on the same fret? Or does the fact that not all notes have sharps/flats screw it up? Could something be, say, 798, for example, or will it always be 799?

They're always in the 7,9,9 form unless you play them using the B string then it changes.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by -Blue-
Wait, will the 2 fingers that aren't the root always be on the same fret? Or does the fact that not all notes have sharps/flats screw it up? Could something be, say, 798, for example, or will it always be 799?

Power chords would always be a 799 shape, except on the high strings.
a power chord starting on the 4th string would 7-9-10. and on the 3rd string would be 7-10-10. 798 on the 6th and 5th strings has a major 7th in it (the "8th" fret note) and on the the 4th string it would have a minor 7