there is no page, i just meant in general, because ive been studying a lot about the internet lately and a lot of the thingsi read mentioned them but i just wanted to know exactly what they were
its a small creature that looks similar to a garden gnome. it usually hides in a picture on the web site. look really close.
Oh Shit!
look for server side webpages, so .php and .asp firstly. there the main source of these. its a huge subject. but look up mysql injection and cross site scripting if ur interested it that sort of thing. also stuff like www.hackthissite.org may help
Pressing alt +f4 usually does the trick
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
yes catchy phrase speaks the truth, u can also find this gnome in the source code usually something along the lines of
<a href="gnome.png">GNOME</a>
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by catchy phrase
its a small creature that looks similar to a garden gnome. it usually hides in a picture on the web site. look really close.

you've got it all wrong it looks more like a haggis, with one leg shorter than the other, running around in circles at the top of a hill

you're not planning on hacking UG are you?
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

they're just where theres a potential problem (for example, postdata that isn't encrypted)
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
noo not at all i wont hack ug and whats with all this gnome stuff? is it just a joke? or are you being serious? if youre being serious i want a website which has that in its html source
Have you ever wondered why the linux desktop is called GNOME ? I'm starting to think my pcs powered by the underpants gnomes.
Quote by Def
Have you ever wondered why the linux desktop is called GNOME ? I'm starting to think my pcs powered by the underpants gnomes.

KDE > GNOME

Quote by metaldud536

lol underpants gnomes..... i <3 butters
Some Scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe. - Frank Zappa
Quote by Heinz Schimmler
what are trojans?

The greeks worst enemy. They favour horses.

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Heinz Schimmler
what are trojans?

Inhabitants from Troy.

Seriously though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_horse_%28computing%29
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
This would be something to attend school for.
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
Basically, if you don't understand it you won't need to.

look into better things, like TCP/IP stacks. Much more fun.

Quote by metaldud536

yeah im talking about computers so i dont know why i would all of a sudden start talking about 1300 bc but yeah i meant the program for the computer where can i find these trojan horses?
Quote by Heinz Schimmler
yeah im talking about computers so i dont know why i would all of a sudden start talking about 1300 bc but yeah i meant the program for the computer where can i find these trojan horses?

im pretty sure its illegal to download them, even for educational purposes.
Quote by Def
im pretty sure its illegal to download them, even for educational purposes.

Its not illegal, what gave you that idea

But you don't want a trojan horse. Its basically a program that attacks a vunerability in the computer (usually by causing a buffer overflow) and then opens up a backdoor in which other people can have administrative access to your computer.

Quote by metaldud536

no dood trojans go on yur penis LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

serioulsy TS those gnomes will **** you up bad dont mess with them
MY BANDS

Phat Toosday and the Astro-Bus
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/ptabmusic

Lets All Get Superpowers
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/lags

Hobstolopho
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/hobstolopho

Come Visit Today!!!
tortillamaster, youre not helping at all i should report you for spamming, if you can give me a good piece of information on anything discussed in this thread, i wont report you. by tomorrow
^^ now thats just stupid

but i used to be a meber of the hackthissite thing. its really good. try it.
heh.....

This is a very complicated subject and not one that can be understood by simply reading a few documents. Most people spend years learning stuff like this, you are asking how to do it in a few web pages, it doesn't work like that.

Hacking isn't as glorious and glamorous as everyone makes it out to be, its very difficult and very tedious. It takes a lot of patience and skill that isn't obtained by reading a few documents. You need to understand whats going on better than the person that setup what you are auditing, so if you are auditing a PHP application, you need to have a better grasp of PHP than the person that wrote the application.

You need to understand a lot of things and you need to read a lot. Learning how networks work, computer architecture, learning to program and to read complex code, learning to debug and reverse engineer, and learning to write reliable exploits. These skills don't come quickly. Everything operates differently, you have to have a firm grasp of how things work at a lower level (e.g. how PHP translates into C, which translates into asm).

You are lucky, these days there are a ton of books and guides, when my interest in security research was sparked, there wasn't much. There are a few mainstream sites, but I won't give them to you. Part of learning to research security flaws is learning to seek answers for yourself and only ask when you absolutely have no other resource to turn to.

As for legality, you are free to do what you want to your own systems. I usually have a lab setup with about 3-4 computers with various operating systems and for various purposes.

There are a lot of resources available, you need to learn to find answers for yourself and educate yourself, because most people won't help you out. I'm always available for questions, but I'm one of the few, most people in this industry keep themselves in a clique.

You need to remember that hacking in its truest form has nothing to do with computers or breaking into systems, its all about understanding how things work and seeking knowledge. True hackers do it for a challenge and to further their knowledge and abilities, it has nothing to do with defacement or anything similar, its about knowledge and learning. I know people that may not know much, but are considered hackers because even though they don't know much, they constantly seek more knowledge and continue to improve themselves. On the other side, i know people that can break into just about any system but I don't consider them true hackers because they only do it for fame, glory, credit, or whatever.

Quote by IndieMetalhead
But you don't want a trojan horse. Its basically a program that attacks a vunerability in the computer (usually by causing a buffer overflow) and then opens up a backdoor in which other people can have administrative access to your computer.

Not necessarily. Most malware spreads via some small shellcode that downloads a second stage binary, which then installs the malware. If the malware is planted manually, it would have been done after a compromise already took place.

The basic penetration steps are footprinting, enumeration, exploitation, privilege escalation, maintaining access, and covering your tracks; virii and rootkits usually fall into maintaining access.

If its a worm spreading, then the worm will send a small set of instructions to the vulnerable system to download the second stage binary and run it, then the binary does all of the rest (connects to botnets, whatever).
Last edited by LordSephiroth at Jun 15, 2007,