I have decided to get either a Fender Blues Junior or a Peavey Valveking 112. The valveking 112 has 50W and the Fender BJ is 15W. Besides the wattage, does anyone really know which is better? I've heard good stuff about both amps... I youtube'd both but I cannot really compare the sound. I've tried the Fender BJ at my local GC but did not bother checking for a Valveking. Can someone help me out?

VAlve http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_peavey_valveking_112_combo_amp?full_sku=104003397

BJ
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_fender_blues_junior_combo_amp?full_sku=100228021
Well they sound alot different.

The VK has two channels with two boosts and the Jr. Is one channel with a boost also.

Blues Jr has much better cleans, VK has much much more gain.
If I were to buy a distortion/oD pedal.. mine would sound better than the valve king right?
Quote by razored
If I were to buy a distortion/oD pedal.. mine would sound better than the valve king right?

it would be a different sound. i would think it would be a brighter sounding distorsion, though it does depend on your pedal.
the VK has more tones.

the BJ does the tones it was built for, better than the VK.

i own a Blues Jr, and spent a couple hours playing a VK yesterday, so it's still fresh in my mind.

VK cleans: REALLY nice, especially with the bright swtich.

VK crunch: pretty good, really marshall-ey. good open gritt.

VK high-gain: not great. pretty thin sounding, not much in the bass department.

Blues Jr. clean: amazing, best cleans i've ever heard. ever. so warm, yet pristine... *chills*

Blues Jr. crunch: a lot sharper than the VK, but just as full. i like it better, but it's subjective here.

blues jr. high gain: wont get there without a boost. still, not that great when you get it there.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Which would be the better for me the 112 or the BJ, considering I play Guns and Roses, Metallica, and Gary Moore. I am also planning to buy several pedals.
Last edited by razored at Jun 17, 2007,
It would be best if you came up with a couple other options. The Crate V32 1x12 is right in the same price range, gainier than either amp, much better tone than the VK, comparable tonally to the BJ, with enough wattage to gig comfortably.

A willingness to go used opens up even more options.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
It would be best if you came up with a couple other options. The Crate V32 1x12 is right in the same price range, gainier than either amp, much better tone than the VK, comparable tonally to the BJ, with enough wattage to gig comfortably.

A willingness to go used opens up even more options.

500$ is too much for me.. and I prefer going new, 430$ was a lot for me already. So which do you think would fulfill my needs out of those two?
Get the Blues Junior. You won't regret it. Where I come from, it is VERY rare to see a Blues Jr in a guitar store. It hardly gets shipped in and when it comes in, it is shipped in such a small quantity that it sells out in a snap. Even at exorbitant prices. The extremely high demand for it causes the f***ing only local retailer to overprice it so badly.

My take is get the BJ and get a pedal, maybe a Maxon OD9 or a boutique crunchbox. Ultimate versatality with the great clean.
Quote by lithium26
Get the Blues Junior. You won't regret it. Where I come from, it is VERY rare to see a Blues Jr in a guitar store. It hardly gets shipped in and when it comes in, it is shipped in such a small quantity that it sells out in a snap. Even at exorbitant prices. The extremely high demand for it causes the f***ing only local retailer to overprice it so badly.

My take is get the BJ and get a pedal, maybe a Maxon OD9 or a boutique crunchbox. Ultimate versatality with the great clean.

That's what i wanted to get hear i will order it monday
The Blues Jr is a nice amp, but if you're looking to gig, I'd seriously look to the used market for a Fender Hot Rod or Peavey Classic 30. You could get an amp twice the size, with two channels, for less than the cost of a new BJ.

Maybe swing by your local guitar and/or pawn shop and see what they have. I found a Vox AC30CC1 for $450 that way. The Guitar Center by me has a Traynor YCV 40 for $399 that blows the doors off of both the amps you're looking at. Look around, there's deals everywhere.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quick question... generally speaking, what price range is a good amp? is the 400$ FBJ a good amp? I will only be using it for home practice... no gigs

i am also looking at this hot rod for 399$
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=104341051

to me.. the real difference between those two amps is just watts.. which I don't plan on gigging anyway.. is it better just to get new FBJ or used Hot Rod?
Last edited by razored at Jun 17, 2007,
Are you looking to jam? Want clean headroom when you do?

$400 gets you a decent 15W amp from a few different makes, and maybe a larger budget amp like the VK. The Hot Rod is a 40W amp that also features two channels, an FX loop, and a couple other bells and whistles. There are a number of similar amps in the same class/size/price range like the Peavey Classic 30, Crate V30, Traynor YCV 40, etc.

It's not all about watts, though, as you could spend $1000 on a 20W Fender Princeton Recording amp, or $850 on the 22W 65 Deluxe Reverb.

Tough to give you a basic price range, it's really all about what you're looking for.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
What decent amp would play everything well ? Tough question.. but should be many suggestions. I will probably just end up getting a FBJ and buy pedals to make up for the OD/Distortion or something.
Like I said, the Blues Jr. The Hot Rod Deluxe is a good amp, but I've heard some bad things about its drive channel and worse things about its "more drive" channel. Also, 40 watts might be too loud for just home practice. If you're gigging then go for the HRD. But if it's just for home practice, 15 watts is enough.