hey guys

Me and my friend started a band about 2 months ago and we have a few songs with some lyrics but i cant sing very well. Are style is acoustic folk, stuff like Jack Johnson, Matt Costa, Ben Harper, and Rocky Votolato. I really need some help with my singing skills so my voice can suit that type of music. I also have a pretty low voice so that is also a problem. So any help at all about how to make my voice sound better would be greatly appreciated. I would really like some training techniques to.

Thanks.
Quote by rollingstones
hey guys

Me and my friend started a band about 2 months ago and we have a few songs with some lyrics but i cant sing very well. Are style is acoustic folk, stuff like Jack Johnson, Matt Costa, Ben Harper, and Rocky Votolato. I really need some help with my singing skills so my voice can suit that type of music. I also have a pretty low voice so that is also a problem. So any help at all about how to make my voice sound better would be greatly appreciated. I would really like some training techniques to.

Thanks.

Quick question, if you cant sing. why dont you just find a singer?
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
hmm ok then. you need to find a suitable pitch for your voice first, theres no point tryin to sing high pitch when you cant. You could also work on projecting your voice and breathing exercises. There are plenty of sites that can give you tips on lots of aspects of singing.

Basically though I'd suggest building the music around your voice rather than the other way around. as long as you can hold a note, understand pitch and you arent tone deaf you can sing, you just need to find your level
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
things you could easily do though are:

practice daily-seriously it helps no matter how bad
if you smoke, QUIT
keep your throat hydrated
Sing with emotion...eg no monotone (at the same time dont overdo it)
If you sing and it hurts bloody stop!
find someone who can give you honest but creative comments on how to improve when your singing (the way you hear it and the way it sounds can be different)

find your style- Liam Gallagher aint the best singer but he has style, its always a good thing

someone also told me that opening your mouth wider can help

And finally. dont be discouraged if it doesnt work straight away
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by wiggy1988
find your style- Liam Gallagher aint the best singer but he has style, its always a good thing

+1 000 000

There are lots of vocalists out there who practically can't sing, but they do it anyway and it fits damn well with the music.

EDIT:
Quote by bequickorbedead=
Singing lessons?

Not everybody can afford it and it's not really necessary if you just wanna learn how to sing decently.
http://a2z-singing-tips.com/ BASIC TIPS

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/singing_groups.html INCLUDES LINKS TO SINGING FORUMS ETC, VERY GOOD SITE TO FIND OTHER SITES AND GUIDES FROM (even though its UK based, singing is universal )

I might be buggin you by know but another good piece of advice is find a singer you really like in the genre and watch how they do it, their face expressions etc give a lot of information away if you watch carefully.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
um let someone punch you in the throat. the it will sound all cool and raspy. Yeah!
Quote by farcry
the first time I've ever been sigged, and it had to be about a butthole. My dad would be proud.
Quote by pnkrockfishermn
um let someone punch you in the throat. the it will sound all cool and raspy. Yeah!

or we could just punch you in the face and have one less retard to deal with
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
^hey you know what, oasis sucks! so shut up
Quote by farcry
the first time I've ever been sigged, and it had to be about a butthole. My dad would be proud.
Quote by pnkrockfishermn
^hey you know what, oasis sucks! so shut up

Yeah! Punk rock didn't die 20 years ago! Look at green day!
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
sorry about my little outburst. i dont take kindly to being called a retard.
Quote by farcry
well i dont give a crap about nominations and awards its the music that counts not the amount of awards.
Quote by farcry
Quote by pnkrockfishermn
sorry about my little outburst. i dont take kindly to being called a retard.

Dude, don't be offended if someone on the internet called you a retard. ITS THE FREAKING INTERNET!!! You're going to get called retard, pussy, pedophile, and you're never gonna hear the end of it the minute you make a spelling error.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by pnkrockfishermn
well i dont give a crap about nominations and awards its the music that counts not the amount of awards.

crap musicians dont get awards, they also dont attract crowds of over 250,000 people
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
really? well operation ivy was one of the best ska/punk bands of all time and they never got awards or large crowds of people. so there.
Quote by farcry
Quote by wiggy1988
crap musicians dont get awards, they also dont attract crowds of over 250,000 people

if only that was actually true.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by pnkrockfishermn
really? well operation ivy was one of the best ska/punk bands of all time and they never got awards or large crowds of people. so there.

you must be kidding, Operation Ivy was not the best or influential. The Clash...now thats an influential Punk band
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
if only that was actually true.

lol good point, the good thing is most of them dont get big crowds for very long, so we dont have to put up with them
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by wiggy1988
you must be kidding, Operation Ivy was not the best or influential. The Clash...now thats an influential Punk band

go into the punk/ska forums and post something like that. but yes The Clash is an influential punk band.
Quote by farcry
I feel this thread may have drifted away from its original purpose
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by rollingstones
hey guys

Thanks.

It sucks to be you, then. You can extend your range with time and practice, so if you want to sing tenor (the preferred range for your genre), then do it slowly and carefully. There is a singing tips thread in Musician talk, and it's really helpful.