I'm coming into quite a lot of money in a few weeks and I'm looking into doing a full upgrade of my gear. I've got my eyes on a LTD EC-1000 already and now I'm looking out for an amp to go with it.

I play quite a lot of metal (black, death, thrash, viking, melodic death) but also occasionally some blues or classic rock. I'd appreciate some versatility but really I'd like to maximise my tone for metal, which I know will be hard to do in this price range. Im hopefully going to start gigging soon enough (small venues) so I'd also like enough power to do that.

I don't think I physically have the space at home for a 4x12 cab and head so I'm looking for either a combo or a decent head and 2x12 setup. I'd probably prefer a seperate head and cab because it makes the whole thing a bit easier to transport.

My price range is about £700-750 and the main guitars being played on it will be a LTD EC-1000 (haven't decided on EMGs or Duncans yet, probably Duncs though) and a MIM Tele.

I've been looking at the Marshall TSL 60 head with a 1936 cab but I'm guessing there's probably better options out there.

Any advice?
Engl... Or Peavy 5150/6505's
Cort G290 EMG 89/SA/SA
Cort MR 780FX

#19 Member of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Group. PM Narmi.

Founder of the "Cort Domination Group"
Engl Screamer combo or Laney GH50L with a 2x12

You could also get an Engl Fireball, which would be able to do ridiculously high gain stuff brilliantly but the cab will be pushing over your budget. Maybe save up a little more.
Ibanez RG2570
Engl Screamer 50 Combo
Keeley Flexi TS-9
EH Metal Muff
I agree with what everyone said here so far...

Also, back when I had EMG's in my ec-1000, Dave_MC gave me the advised to check out Genz Benz El Diablo amp. I suggest you should look into it too!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I really like the look of the ENGLs, does anyone have a link to a supplier in the UK?
i don't recall any specific models, but you could find a laney amp. i know the vh100r is an absolute machine for just about anything.

maybe an ENGL savage of some sort? Dave_Mc bought one. i don't recall for how much though.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
^ more than that, unfortunately...

i'd say screamer, or fireball or blackmore if you can save a little more for a cab too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmmm, seems Thomann do a package deal where you get an additional 8% off the lot if you buy a cab as part of a package deal. This puts it at something like £850 for a Fireball and a decent enough cab... a bit out of budget but I guess I can stretch

Thanks guys. Just need to work out if I have space for a 4x12 and then wait to get my money!
^ which cab is it? i'm a bit wary of those harley benton cabs to be honest... i haven't tried them, but some of them say to use them below certain sound pressure levels, which is certainly a bit strange for something designed to be, er, loud.

Bit like buying a lifejacket that says "warning, do not get wet!"...

Bear in mind, the fireball is a clean channel, and then a death metal channel. not really anything in between (though i guess you could boost the clean channel for blues/lighter classic rock).

blackmore doesn't get just as heavy/modern, but is a lot more versatile- and sounds more open/less compressed. I like it more, even for high gain, but then i don't really play very modern metal.

screamer is probably slightly more versatile again, more fendery and better cleans and blues tones, but doesn't do the high gain thing (nor probably even the hard rock thing) as well as the blackmore. blackmore is more like engl's take on a hot-rodded marshall.

it just really depends what you want and need. Aberdeen's kind of way up north, might be awkward to get to somewhere you can try them, though guitar guitar in edinburgh are engl dealers if you can make it down there (obviously ring first!)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I can get down to Edinburgh relatively easily - seems like it might be the best idea.

Of the heads you list the Blackmore sounds the most appealing but I don't know if my budget will stretch that far.
Quote by Jodimu
I really like the look of the ENGLs, does anyone have a link to a supplier in the UK?

I know that I've played them at PMT, so you should check out your local one...they have one in Aberdeen I think?

Edit: I'm mistaken, they don't, sorry haha.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Last edited by Kurapica at Jun 16, 2007,
Quote by Jodimu
I can get down to Edinburgh relatively easily - seems like it might be the best idea.

Of the heads you list the Blackmore sounds the most appealing but I don't know if my budget will stretch that far.

yeah, the blackmore is badass, but i suspect it's almost your total budget for just the head, unfortunately.

problem is, your budget is kinda right smack in the middle... you could save £100 or £200 and not really get anything much worse, or you could try to get hold of another £100 to £200 to get something better, if you know what I mean.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?