To bring distortion/overdrive into Guitar/Music?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
i wanna say Journey
i heard theyre amps **** the bed, making a crunch-ish noise
thye used it and the crowd loved it

but im not 100% sure
Quote by yawn
It just occurred to me that UG attracts a lot of socially isolated male teenagers with questionable psychological dispositions.

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Whip and Chains Excite Me!!

Got'em!
Hmmm... uneducatedly I say Hendrix. he's the first that comes to mind, but like I said. I really don't know. There's probably someone else.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I remember reading somewhere on UG that it was before Hendrix. I want to say 40s or 50s when overdrive came into use. I forgot who though.
I have no idea...
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
As far as proper overdriven amp distortion it was probably The Who, specifically Pete Townshend.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i think it was that guy who poked holes in his amp speakers in the 30's. i'll remember his name in a minute ...
Eric Clapton is credited with popularising valve amp overdrive, during his time with John Mayall.

edit: ^ thats the one, Link Wray
Link Wray popularized a more fuzz like sound, which is what happens with the holes in the speakers, bluesmen where using a light OD sound in the 30s, but that crunch sound didn't really happen untill the 60s (it was around before Hendrix, who also favored a more fuzz like sound a lot of the time)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Pete Townshend was the one who kept bugging Jim Marshall to make louder and louder amps.

Just found this too...

1948: Guitar distortion: when did it start?: Thor Christensen suggests that electric guitars were sold from the late 1930s. Musicians noticed electrical malfunctions, and the sounds they made - and some musicians decided to make use of such sounds. In 1948, Muddy Waters in Chicago found a buzz coming out of his guitar while he was recording what became his blues classic, I Can't Be Satisfied. By 1951, at Sun Studios in Memphis, guitarist Willie Kizart dropped his amp and busted a speaker cone. The result was an "unruly hum" as heard on Rocket 88 by Jackie Brenston and the Delta Cats - which track is considered by some rock historians to be the first rock 'n' roll track. In 1956, a half-broken guitar amp buzzed on a hit by Johnny Burnette, Train Kept A-Rollin'. The idea occurred to musicians - why not deliberately damage an amplifier and see what happens? The 1960s saw a race to produce new noises - basically, feedback - and The Beatles used a feedback whine to begin their 1964 hit, I Feel Fine. The legend exists that when one of the early tracks from The Who was sent from London to New York as a first Who master tape ever heard there, it was sent back to Lonodn by New York, where studio techs had complained of the distortion on the tape and thought something was wrong, or maybe, someone was playing a trick!

Hendrix started using feedback more in the late 1960s. Later, as Eric Clapton has observed, feedback and variations on it could be used to induce a more mystical sort of sound - as when a guitar might start to sound like a sitar from India. So arose what were called "electronic fuzz boxes". Hubert Sumlin, a guitarist for Howlin' Wolf, learned to hate the wah-wah pedal as "nasty things". By the 1970s, distortion was "normal" for bands like Black Sabbath and The Ramones. In 1975, Lou Reed notoriously used feedback for Metal Machine Noise. Carlos Santana approves of using distortion. Without distortion, what would Jimi Hendrix have sounded like? Where would punk have been, or gone? Same with Metallica. Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry says use of distortion makes the guitar sound "more rebellious" - the reason its use has continued. (From an article by Thor Christensen in The Dallas Morning News, as seen in The Australian, 25 June 2004)

http://www.danbyrnes.com.au/hotm/1940s.htm
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 15, 2007,
Rocket 88 by Ike Turner's Band in 1951

The song also features one of the first examples of distortion, or fuzz guitar, ever recorded, played by the band's guitarist Willie Kizart. The legend of how the sound came about says that Kizart's amplifier was damaged on Highway 61 when the band was driving from Mississippi to Memphis, Tennessee, but Phillips liked the sound and used it.
Yup, Chuck Berry was at his peak in the '50s, The Who started in the '60s.

Wouldn't surprise me. Hendrix seemed to make it popular though. Cranking those Marshalls

The very first Marshall 100 watters were made for the Who, Hendrix heard about them and went looking for one in 66.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 15, 2007,
Quote by kevinm4435
I would say Link Wray, who used to punch holes in his speakers.

I agree, I remember hearing about that. It warped the sound enough to create overdrive at lower volumes or something.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Chuck berry?
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.