Hi, when reading the beginning music theory lesson I got confused about the scale construction exercise.

Say I'm constructing an E - Minor Harmonic scale and the notes for it are E F# G A B C D# E

how do I play this over the six strings?

say I start from the open E on the sixth string

6th - E F# G
5th - A B C
4th - D# E (this is where I'm confused because if i go one the next string starting with an F# then that takes me all the way to the 11th fret of the 3rd string but if i go instead
4th - D# E F#
3rd - G A B
2nd - C D# E
1st - basically start over again

or do I go

3rd - G A
2nd - B C D#
1st - E
as long as u get the notes right its all good,u can make different shapes but as long as u use those certain notes its still a e harmonic minor scale
Yep, just need to know the notes on the fretboard and work out what you are gonna play. It doesn't matter how you hit those notes on what strings, as long as you are hitting the notes that are in the scale you are playing on. The more you play with the scale the more familliar it will become second nature eventually.
You have to give people something to dream on.

- Jimi Hendrix

- My Rig -

Gibson 76' Reissue Explorer.

Vox DA5 Portable Amplifier runing through a
Crate GT1200H Solid State full stack.
I had the same question, thanks for the help guys.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Scales are not shapes, they're collections of notes. Play the notes anywhere you want.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.