I've been playin guitar for awhile and i've gotten into a habit of only downpicking....i see no point in alternate picking...is that gonna come back to haunt me??????
MY GEAR:
Fender Strat
Digitech RP250
Squier sp10 amp
Depends what kind of music you play. Down picking gives you that 'chug' in your riffs. If you're happy, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.
Yeah its fine. Its just that alternate picking doesn't tire your hands out (for me at least)
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
id seriously consider learning alternate picking its simple and expanses your skills. i know ppl who dont alternate and must of those guys suck it sucks like balls. dried up ****in balls
Ibanez IC400
GNX3000
P.O.S. amp
You'll never be as fast as most. Alternatepicking makes everything easier to play once you get it down.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
it makes u faster if u alternate pick, but its ok to only down, but if u want to play some facemelters its better to alternate pick
alternate picking isnt that hard, and its your choice if you use it or not, if i were you, id learn to alternate pick for solos and stuff like that, but down pick the power chords and riffs, depending on what you play
Well, while good downpicking skills are gtood for nice, chunky, metal, you really should develop alternate picking skills.
Why would you place that sort of inhibiting constraint on yourself? Just learn to do it, it doesn't take that much effort, and once you need to start playing quickly, it's immensely useful.
It's not that it's going to come back to haunt you, it's just that there's only so much you can do with downpicking. You can only go so fast with downpicking. It will tire your wrist out faster using only downpicking so alternate picking will allow you to play longer and with less strain. I was the same way at first, I saw no need to learn to alternate pick. Eventually I had to learn so I could play stuff faster than old 70's stoner rock songs. Songs like "Pay To Cum" by the Bad Brains require alternate picking, since no one can downpick that fast. No one.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Im in agreement with most of the others, if you want speed then alt picking is the way to go.
One thing though, the longer you leave it, the harder it will be.
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
learn both
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Definitely learn to uppick as well as downpick. The earlier you learn it, the easier it is.
Sometimes you need alternate picking for a certain sound with chords, and it just makes soloing and picking single strings easier.
My Gear:
ESP LTD F-50 Black Cherry Black Hardware
Crate XT10 10watt amp
More to come soon
Member of the Guitarists Born in 1990 Club. PM Gibson_God11 to Join.
you really should learn alternate picking because you can do riffs faster and make things sound better and less choppy
Well. Learn alternate picking.

Not learning alternate picking is like trying to drive a car with no gas.

Besides. All downpicking looks gay.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by MrDinkleberry
Well. Learn alternate picking.

Not learning alternate picking is like trying to drive a car with no gas.

Besides. All downpicking looks gay.

you dont need gas to drive a car.. use petrol
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?