Page 1 of 2
So ive figured that its easier to watch a band play music live if theyve got a "signature" or "special" move that he and or she does while doing a show. Personaly i do belive that it would be to my advantage to acctauly attempt to do something like this. As of now i just kind of thrash wildly like a crazed man beast acrosse the stage untill i have to sing again. And now you say, what does this have to do with bass. Well seeing that i am the bass player, i need something that sets me apart from the others on stage, but not like a fling the guitar around the neck or jump off the bass drum and to a flying kick...i have little to no coordination in the bass flinging and fear heights higher than 2 and one half a of a foot. I also think its over done and i wanna mix it up. So whats unique that youve seen bassists do onstage that makes not like the guitarist who lunges forward and throws his sweaty mane of hair back and spits water/beer/snot into the air like a pansy ass dragon...
This statement is false.
one guy I know, he plays in a alternative hardcore band, he'll take his bass off, and start playing it as if it were an upright bass.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Wear it up high, not too high, but higher, and just chill. I think people who wear it low look like a mess (except for Rob Trujillo). Stefan from DMB and Tim from Rage look in control and cool by just keeping it up and jamming....
I (still, after everything) believe in Billy Corgan.
playing good beats looking good anyday imo..

u no fall out boy.. that poser pete, he spins, and the other guy does too, but they both sound like anal sex gone wrong..

ofcourse look is important, but worry more about the music
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Well, here's what I do sometimes: On some riffs, I'll put my bass between my legs, get low to the ground, and play the bass like it's my dick. Then I jack it off and go back into an upright position. I am so sorry everyone.
Whitest Kid U' Know of the Bass Militia
PM Dinky Daisy to join

Originally posted by Civildp1
I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.
well i just get into it and talk about the truth "global warming is a serious issue" and you know get funky. i'd rather play well than be another pete wentz
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Drmckool
well i just get into it and talk about the truth "global warming is a serious issue" and you know get funky. i'd rather play well than be another pete wentz

lol i didn't expect you to sneak that serious issue in here . Then again you won't get too many intelligent responses in the pit now will you?

Edit: C'mon now, your sig is being just a little silly don't you think?
PM Dinky Daisy to join

I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.
Last edited by MattPerson911 at Jun 16, 2007,
Quote by Doodleface
one guy I know, he plays in a alternative hardcore band, he'll take his bass off, and start playing it as if it were an upright bass.

I kinda do that sometimes, only I lift my leg, put the bass on it, and play with the front of the bass facing away from me. Idk if it looks cool, i gotta get some opinions
PM Dinky Daisy to join

another move i like is call the when my bass falls off the strap. this is when my bass falls off the strap and i go down on one knee for the rest of the song and it looks hardcore and saves my ass form embarasment
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
at the end of your set take your bass off and throw it up in the air and catch it again. it looks freaking cool because it looks like the bass is gonna come back down and kill you.... then again sometimes it does
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
I Spin It On My Strap Around My Shoulder.
One Time My Strap Broke When Doing This And My Bass Hit Some Kid In The Face, Little Bitch Got Blood On It Too.
Stage presence is pretty important in conveying your music at a show. The more energy the band has, the more energy the audience will have.

In my opinion, anyone who looks like they are playing with energy and feeling will put on a good show. Everyone has their certain moves, but there isn't really one that's better than the other. Its all part of a band's originality and independence.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
i pogo alot during simple root note sections

and wearing shades always looks good
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
A hat.
/thread
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Look like you are enjoying yourself, then the crowd is more likely to enjoy the gig, no matter how well you play.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
I jump off my 410. Thats my signature I guess.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
i think the player makes the look. the look does not make the player. Flea showed us that playing in your underwear is cool, because he kicked ass. if he had sucked, he would have been ridiculed for the look. imo.

Edit: BTW, a few, well timed pelvic thrusts, never hurts.
A jump off the bass drum's allways good (as long as it's not your drummer's drum)
'Member of the official Biffy Clyro Fanclub. PM onlyonehere to join'
Pinstripes, nothing looks cooler than pinstripes. Whether it be a hat or a suit, you cannot beat it for coolness factor .

And stay energetic, even just walking around a bit and nodding your head is better than standing there like a lemon.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
And stay energetic, even just walking around a bit and nodding your head is better than standing there like a lemon.

Unless you can play like John Entwistle.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90

Ahhh touche!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
The guy at a show I went to recently (local gig) was bobbing his head pretty frantically and my friend started doing some dancing (there wasnt many people there) like going from side to side and the bassist started following my friends lead, the people I was with and around us all found this very cool.

Crowd Interaction. Nothing better.
well...a dude from where i'm from at all his shows, during the breakdowns he holds the bass like a gun and during rest brings it up like the breakdowns were bullets...its crazy
Quote by sinan90

I was watching the Rock and Roll Circus last night, and Entwistle is just amazing. Pretty much subtle movements, a few pointed facial reactions and fingers that just danced. John Paul Jones was the same way if you watch the old Zeppelin footage. Both have enough presence and skill to hold their own against a manic drummer.a theatrical singer, and a focal point guitarist.

Contrast that to Bill Wyman who always seemed like a statue with a bass in his hand, and who if you didn't hear the low end, you'd forget he was there.
JPJ actually moves on stage quite a bit especially in the Alvert Hall videos form 1970. I just how Entwistle looks like he'd rather not be there most of teh time. And he had awesome style wearing a bone suit.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by StaggHound
Like... Machine Gunning?

It's really all about getting into the groove.

yea like a machine gun....its crazy
Quote by sinan90
JPJ actually moves on stage quite a bit especially in the Alvert Hall videos form 1970. I just how Entwistle looks like he'd rather not be there most of teh time. And he had awesome style wearing a bone suit.

Yes, I'll agree--but compared to eveyone else in Zep, JPJ was downright subtle. LOL.

Btw, the day I knew I was hooked on bass is when I stopped looking at Daltry in those Who videos and started getting upset that there weren't enough shots of Entwistle.
Page 1 of 2