hey guys im really in a mess, i need your help for effects. Which are the best Stompboxes, rackunits, or floor pedal board.

I am thinking of getting the pod xt live or the Zakk wylde overdrive, Boss DD-6 delay, EVH phaser.

Or should i keep on saving up for a rack unit?

So yeh guys im a bit confused cause i heard that the pod xt live sounds to digital and i dont want that.

My rig:
Ibanez rg570dx (tone zone in bridge and paf pro in neck)
Marshall Valvestate VS100R

yeh if someone can explain to me why people prefer one from the other, and tell me what you think? And which is best for me?

k thx Dan
Last edited by Oc3lot at Jun 16, 2007,
wooot, tricky question. well first of all you need to narrow it down a bit, well quite alot. What kind of a rakc unit were you thinking of, one which has heaps of effects, or just delay or chorus. what 'bout the pedal board, heaps and heaps of effects, good tone, sh!t all tweakabilities but cheap price, alright tone, (insert the millions of other variables here), a combination of various of those things i meantioned? now to the stompbox, what effect do you really like (i like the idea for the boss dd6 by the way), how is your drive suiting you, is it really nice, or is it kinda bad....do you need it better (because if you buy something other than drive when yours is sub par, believe me youll regret it....

and what about your price range????
this is all very tough but you want the very best product for yourself dont you. think about thsi a bit and ill help you answer your questions later on. cheers mate.
Quote by Phe4rTheGod

awww...talkin shit tryin to defend a fagband??? how cute...fuck opeth...lamb of god is what makes metal these days...they are what pantera was in the 80's and 90's...prickfuck...talk shit...

sorry for double post but, you asked for the best rack/pedal/board effects, so i gave you an strange response. this is because THE BEST is quite a relative question. because for one person, the bets is not necesarily the best for another.... hope i help you out mate...
Quote by Phe4rTheGod

awww...talkin shit tryin to defend a fagband??? how cute...fuck opeth...lamb of god is what makes metal these days...they are what pantera was in the 80's and 90's...prickfuck...talk shit...

Go single pedals unless you specifically need the flexibility of rackmount effects.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
ahhh screw you threadstarter........im not going to help you now.....learn to read private messages and check your damned forums....
Quote by Phe4rTheGod

Generally you only need a rack if you need the extra portability and convenience for gigging, or if you're a complete effects junkie. Cheap multis are okay for getting the feel of a bunch of different effects, but chances are you'll only use a fraction of what they do....I remain steadfastly unconvinced about the more expensive ones, no point paying for a near-infinite number of FX permutations when you only end up using a couple.

I'd personally vote for pedals as and when you feel you need them, and no, learning to play "Silver Machine" by Hawkwind does not constitute "needing" a flanger in my book.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
multi boards arent my thing, i love effects and you cant really tweak them, I loved pedals but touring took a toll on them, I use a rack unit now, it was pricey, more than I ever should have spent, I actually have to sell it due to some recent financial issues though, so im going back to pedals
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Also i forgot to include that i have a rocktron intellifex blackface, its good and all but i dont really like the sounds and the factory settings to me i dont like its probably not for me a bit too complicated (im selling if you want it).

Well i had orginally planned to buy an pod xt live but from some review and responses i wasn't so sure. but then you have people using it with really nice tones but i think its because they are recording on the pc. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT9qGj_BJdo&NR=1)
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO3KFL1m8DA&mode=related&search=)dunno bout this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsgFea8szpo&mode=related&search=)

You guys tell me what you think about the pod xt live

What i want is that nice Lead tone, i was thinking to buy an overdrive pedal on top of my amps distortion to boost it. Also i want a delay pedal to improve the lead sound, i had a look and the Boss DD-6 looked good. Finally if i have money maybe a some flange or phaser or wah not sure yet.

basically what i want is delay,overdrive(if it helps), flange and a wah-wah pedal.

The drive seems pretty alright to me gets pretty heavy when full.

I would probably have around $500AU (once i sell my rocktron intellifex blackface)

I would probably be able to buy 3 or 4 pedals with that money (ebay or second hand cause im cheap).

Im a lead player, so i want to get that really good lead sound.

See for rack units they annoying when moving around, plus I'm not professional I'm 16 so like its not like I'm going to do any recordings but im just curious if i should start saving for them now?

I like playing Metal/rock/jazz etc.

thx dan

Danis1 man im sorry, i had to go out just got back now.

thx guys
As far as I'm concerned the more crap between your guitar and amp the harder it is to nail down a good tone....if you have to throw a load of stuff in front of your amp to get it to sound good then you have the wrong amp. Try boosting the amp with an EQ pedal, although I'm not sure how well the Valvestates take to being boosted, failing that an OD pedal over the distortion pedal to maybe smooth the sound out a bit and bump the mids.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Well my amp has a decent tone with just the guitar and amp drive but i want it to be sustain and you know that Lead sound for soloing & shredding. What do you think of the pod xt live?
Well my amp has a decent tone with just the guitar and amp drive but i want it to be sustain and you know that Lead sound for soloing & shredding. What do you think of the pod xt live?

Then you're not looking for a pod, or any other effect unit, just something to give it a little help...like I said, EQ pedal or an OD.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

but the tone tends to be dry at times. But for that lead sound wouldn't i need like a bit of delay, reverb etc. I don't just want it to be just distortion. Like i already have a reverb option on my amp, but i was think maybe getting a delay pedal and two EVH pedals maybe.

If i was going to get a OD pedal which one would be the best?
If you want to sound like something from the 80's then reverb or delay is what you want, generally all people want from a lead tone is just that, a good tone. Seriously, "lead sound" is such a vague term it could mean anything but one thing's constant, no amount of effects can make up for a crappy tone. If you're already happy with the sound but just want to embellish it then grab a delay pedal or something, but you certainly don't need those for a lead sound....quite often they can detract from it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

ah i see, thank you

what delay pedal and OD pedal would you recommend