Hi everyone,
I am trying to learn some theory and in doing so make my life (and possibly yours) somewhat easier. I wrote a little Java applet that automatically calculates scales - you select the scale, the root note and the tuning (right now only standard tuning is selectable), click the button and you get a tab-like representation that marks notes that belong into the scale with a little star.
Here's where you come in: I have no idea if the output is even correct If you guys could help me with the applet and give me your feedback I would be very thankful. If you would like me to add a scale, just tell me how it is created. Don't tell me any notes - I want to figure it out myself!

It's a very small program and I do this mostly for myself, there is no charge to use it or anything. You are also free to copy it and give it away to whoever you want, just do it for free.
You need the Java runtime environment to run it; this environment is very common. Still, if you don't have it, you can grab it from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
This program has no actual way of manipulating anything on your PC so nothing can happen, however I do not take responsibility for anything; for example if you burn it to a CD and hit someone with it that's not my fault
Also, I hope this is the right forum. I was not entirely sure where to post this
Attachments:
Scales.zip
Well it sounds like it should be utterly awesome, but my Mac doesn't seem to like it, and the Java enviroment thingy doesn't have a thing for Macs...

But hey. I think its a great idea. Put in the blues scale. (1, b3, 4, b5, P5, b7).
Resident Melbournian of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join. Australians only.
Mac OS X has the JRE build in. Have a look at the apple page, there should be some download for the lower OSs.
Well, use standard (USA/Canada) notation please =S

EADGHe tunings look weird here

Same thing goes on for "Anzeigen" and "cis" for c#, "dis" for d#, etc.

Hmm, as for the scales, it's a bit hard to read =/

Great idea though and I know how hard can Java programming be so good try, fix a few things here and there (readability, universal terms, etc.) and it'll be very nice!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Yes, as I said, I mostly made it for myself and as I am German I used "our" notation. That's easily fixed though, next one will be more familiar to you

I chose -is over # because this notation means I get an uneven number of characters and won't have to use one star more on one side... this can be easily changed too though. It was purely a design question.

As for the readability... I had a lot of test runs until I decided a monospace font and a "tab" style would be easiest to read. I could change it to several Text Areas, each one displaying one note, but I don't think that would work better. If you have an idea on how to improve it I'd gladly try it out though.

I'll upload an updated version this evening. It will contain the changes suggested by you, more scales and selectable tunings.
Allright, americanized it up and added some scales and the option to switch to Drop D tuning. If you find any errors please tell me and I'll fix them right up.

This time I also included the source code. If you are so inclined just rummage around, I even commented it. You will have to deal with my strange way of naming variables in a mixture of German and English though

jazkel24, I seem to have missed your request for the blues scale. I'd happily put it in if you told what the "P" means.
Attachments:
Scales.zip
Uhm.. On the first one, it kinda says...

"EADGHe" >_<...

Dob-Edit: Ohh... I didn't read the thread completely, sorry. :\
Last edited by Dobzilla at Jun 17, 2007,
Quote by Mosch
jazkel24, I seem to have missed your request for the blues scale. I'd happily put it in if you told what the "P" means.
It means Perfect... In his example, it meant Perfect 5th (which is just a non-diminished fifth... normal fifth )

I don't know why he wrote 4 and P5 though... the 4 is perfect too so it should be P4 and P5! Anyways, the blues scale is:

1 b3 4 b5 5 b7
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance

Good work, I quite like that. I think it'd be easier to read though, if instead of putting *s around the notes of the scale, simply don't display the notes that aren't part of the scale.

For example C major (just first 5 frets to save time):

Current:
**e**|**f**|--f#-|**g**|--g#-|**a**|
**b**|**c**|--c#-|**d**|--d#-|**e**|
**g**|--g#-|**a**|--a#-|**b**|**c**|
**d**|--d#-|**e**|**f**|--f#-|**g**|
**a**|--a#-|**b**|**c**|--c#-|**d**|
**e**|**f**|--f#-|**g**|--g#-|**a**|

Suggested:
  e  |  f  |     |  g  |     |  a  |
  b  |  c  |     |  d  |     |  e  |
  g  |     |  a  |     |  b  |  c  |
  d  |     |  e  |  f  |     |  g  |
  a  |     |  b  |  c  |     |  d  |
  e  |  f  |     |  g  |     |  a  |

I currently use a similar one here:
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

You can check your scales are right against it, maybe get some ideas too
I had a little play around with the source code, made a few small changes, and hosted it, here:
http://www.davehill.net/scales/

I'm happy to host the original version too if you want, I took an interest in this as I'm going to use it to print out some scales I find sticking things to the wall around my desk helps me learn things a lot easier.

Edit: Added blues scale
Last edited by X101 at Jun 17, 2007,
^ Yea.. something like all-guitar-chords.com would be very nice... it's easier to read

Quote by Resiliance

Quote by hurlyz
It means Perfect... In his example, it meant Perfect 5th (which is just a non-diminished fifth... normal fifth )

I don't know why he wrote 4 and P5 though... the 4 is perfect too so it should be P4 and P5! Anyways, the blues scale is:

1 b3 4 b5 5 b7

Ah, now that I can understand Thanks. Added to the Applet; I gave X101 credit in the source code since he implemented it first.

Quote by X101
Good work, I quite like that. I think it'd be easier to read though, if instead of putting *s around the notes of the scale, simply don't display the notes that aren't part of the scale.

So simple and yet I did not think of it. Great idea, I added a checkbox. Also, thanks for the link.

Quote by X101
I had a little play around with the source code, made a few small changes, and hosted it, here:
http://www.davehill.net/scales/

I did not expect that! Some nice changes, I added them to the applet (most notably the fret numbers plus a Checkbox to switch them on/off) and gave you credit in the source code.

Quote by X101
I'm happy to host the original version too if you want, I took an interest in this as I'm going to use it to print out some scales I find sticking things to the wall around my desk helps me learn things a lot easier.

Edit: Added blues scale

There's no reason to host an inferior version, but thanks for the offer

Quote by Galvanise69
actually sounds like a net site but it has more scales sorry...

No need to apologize, I know very well that it's not the best scale program thingy ever

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Grab the updated and very much improved version if you are so inclined
Attachments:
Scales.zip
Alright cool, that was just a quick page to display and share the applet on here by the way, I'm not trying to steal your thunder or anything I'll get rid of that page if you want

I think something that'd be nice would be to show notes as flats where necessary, for example with F major it should be F-G-A-Bb-C-D-E rather than F-G-A-A#-C-D-E, although that could be quite a lot of work really... You'd have to define which root notes require the use of flats, for example in the major scale it'd be F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Cb... That'd get more complicated with scales other than major and natural minor though
By all means, use the applet however you wish! It makes me happy if someone actually likes it and uses it.

I thought about the flat-sharp-distinction too... right now I don't know if there a mathematical formula behind all this and I really don't want to add 144 ifs Maybe I'll write a procedure for the Scale class later so that it can simply be called when needed... need to figure out a formula first though.
I don't know enough about the theory to work it out, but maybe someone can help. The program should basically go through the same steps someone would take if they were writing out the scale on manuscript paper, and I'm sure people who know that don't remember 144 individual scales

Can all scales be derived from the major scale? You can produce that one easily enough as on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_key

From there, the different modes could be produced by working out the relative major key, for example the E Locrian mode has the same notes as F major, so presumably that'd be written out with a Bb rather than an A#.

As for the pentatonic modes, they'd be calculated by taking the corresponding major or minor scale, and missing out certain degrees.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, I'm just trying to learn this myself at the moment and thinking about it with my programming hat on is helping :P
The "design" is much more clean now!

Good Job! I love it!

---EDIT---
Actually, maybe make "the box" more like Dave's? (X101)... which would mean we don't have to stretch it to see the whole fretboard.... it's easier to have a look at it that way

Quote by Resiliance

Quote by hurlyz
The "design" is much more clean now!

Good Job! I love it!

---EDIT---
Actually, maybe make "the box" more like Dave's? (X101)... which would mean we don't have to stretch it to see the whole fretboard.... it's easier to have a look at it that way

Thanks! As for the suggestion, ask and ye shall receive... I resized the Textarea (and with it the whole applet) but now I don't like the menu placement anymore I'll fiddle around with it some more tomorrow and upload a new version that may hopefully incorporate "the flats"

Quote by X101
(theory stuff)

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, I'm just trying to learn this myself at the moment and thinking about it with my programming hat on is helping :P

I really think I need a good night's sleep before I can try to get my head around this I'll work out a mathematical way even if it kills me... but as for now, good night everyone.
Good luck dude, I'm sure you'll get it sorted easily enough It's quite a lot of effort for a relatively small change, but it'll really reinforce your theory knowledge. I think I'll try to work it out too for my own benefit, or... I might just study your solution :P