Hello, i have a problem, my les paul (without touching) buzzes like when i simply plug it into the amp.

ive tried muting individual strings to find out the prob, but i found out that it's every string thats buzzing. a slight buzz but loud enough!

can any1 help me rectify this? thx
pls do show some photos if poccible.
thx
(its a epiphone les paul black beauty btw)
You've got a grounding problem by the sounds of it mate. Probably just need to resolder the grounded wires onto the pot again. No big deal.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
If u put ur amp to distortion or overdrive or drive,its normal,thats because of the compressor in the amp, uif u dont like the sound,buy an amp wif a noise gate
Doesn't every guitar do that? Also the more distortion and treble you put on the more buzz you get.
Quote by FenderStRaT RS
If u put ur amp to distortion or overdrive or drive,its normal,thats because of the compressor in the amp, uif u dont like the sound,buy an amp wif a noise gate

on no distortion....
Quote by Kurapica
You've got a grounding problem by the sounds of it mate. Probably just need to resolder the grounded wires onto the pot again. No big deal.

hey what do u mean by "resolder the grounded wires onto the pot again."??
It appears to be what the others said regarding the amp connection. (Dont worry, it doesnt seem like you new black beauty is the culprit).

Have you tried plugging any other guitar into your amp? Most times, the connection input on the amp can become loose and you may need to unscrew and pull out the input jack on the amp, and make sure the lead and ground wires are properly soldered on. If one is loose, re-solder it.

If this is not the case, it can be either your cable, or the guitar. Just hope its not the latter.
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
Quote by Ljk825
It appears to be what the others said regarding the amp connection. (Dont worry, it doesnt seem like you new black beauty is the culprit).

Have you tried plugging any other guitar into your amp? Most times, the connection input on the amp can become loose and you may need to unscrew and pull out the input jack on the amp, and make sure the lead and ground wires are properly soldered on. If one is loose, re-solder it.

If this is not the case, it can be either your cable, or the guitar. Just hope its not the latter.

i havent tried other guitar on my amp. could it be that the strings are too low on the fretboard?
Quote by paulefty
hey what do u mean by "resolder the grounded wires onto the pot again."??

Well, I was having grounding issues on my old Ibanez after I changed the pickups. So if you take off the back of your guitar you'll see that there's a bunch of wires soldered to the back of the volume pot, usually.

If you unsolder them, strip the wires back a little then resolder them, you can resolve 90% of grounding issues.

You can tell if you've got grounding issues because their will be a background buzzing when your amp is on, but this buzzing dissapears if you touch the bridge, machine heads, tuning pegs etc.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Well, I was having grounding issues on my old Ibanez after I changed the pickups. So if you take off the back of your guitar you'll see that there's a bunch of wires soldered to the back of the volume pot, usually.

If you unsolder them, strip the wires back a little then resolder them, you can resolve 90% of grounding issues.

You can tell if you've got grounding issues because their will be a background buzzing when your amp is on, but this buzzing dissapears if you touch the bridge, machine heads, tuning pegs etc.

ok i'll see if i have grounding issues or not.
Quote by paulefty
i havent tried other guitar on my amp. could it be that the strings are too low on the fretboard?

It would be very obvious if the strings are causing the buzzing. I dont know if the buzzing is related to bad wiring causing feedback type buzzing, or straight up fret buzzing.

I know you JUST got this black beauty so I am hesitant to think the action is that low. If you play WITHOUT the amp, does it still buzz? If so, you may need a setup.

Please try another guitar into your amp with a different cable to rule out the Black Beauty as being faulty.
Gear

Taylor GS-Mini
Line 6 HD500
Quote by Ljk825
It would be very obvious if the strings are causing the buzzing. I dont know if the buzzing is related to bad wiring causing feedback type buzzing, or straight up fret buzzing.

I know you JUST got this black beauty so I am hesitant to think the action is that low. If you play WITHOUT the amp, does it still buzz? If so, you may need a setup.

Please try another guitar into your amp with a different cable to rule out the Black Beauty as being faulty.

without amp = no buzzing.
with amp = buzzing
but the thing is, when i mute the strings the buzzing is gone so it has to be in the strings i guess?
Quote by paulefty
without amp = no buzzing.
with amp = buzzing
but the thing is, when i mute the strings the buzzing is gone so it has to be in the strings i guess?

No that's normal.

Buy a Noise Supressor

or resolder the ground wire. Look it up on google if you're not sure.
My best advice to you at this point is to bring your amp and your BB to the same place you got your guitar. Show them what the deal is and see if they can properly diagnose your issue. It doesnt seem to be a common issue so it would be difficult for anyone here to give you any more suggestions. It can be your pickups, have you tried swiching pickups to see if it is isolated to a particular one? Either way, get it looked at while you are at the store so you can exchange the BB if need be.
Gear

Taylor GS-Mini
Line 6 HD500
Quote by paulefty
ok i'll see if i have grounding issues or not.

I think you should see a guitar tech guy to repair it, as les paul types guitars
are more difficult to handle as you cant lift the whole piece with it like a strat, which everything is attached together but the downside is the number of screws u need to unscrew,anyways if unsure, see a guitar tech........
Paulefty-

You should mention that your guitar is BRAND NEW. I wouldnt waste my time opening the back of the guitar. Bring it back and exchange it. If you open it, most stores will be hesitant to exchange it because you opened it. Avoid conflict and bring it in.
Gear

Taylor GS-Mini
Line 6 HD500
Quote by Cyclotoolica
No that's normal.

Buy a Noise Supressor

or resolder the ground wire. Look it up on google if you're not sure.

^^ sorry mate but i still prefer the term noise GATE, its what it says on my Fender G-dec 30 amp,hehe.........
Quote by FenderStRaT RS
^^ sorry mate but i still prefer the term noise GATE, its what it says on my Fender G-dec 30 amp,hehe.........

Haha

I think a Noise Gate is one built into the amp itself whereas a Noise Supressor, like I have, is a seperate stomp box.

Could just both mean the same thing though haha
Quote by Ljk825
Paulefty-

You should mention that your guitar is BRAND NEW. I wouldnt waste my time opening the back of the guitar. Bring it back and exchange it. If you open it, most stores will be hesitant to exchange it because you opened it. Avoid conflict and bring it in.

haha yes.. alright then i'll see how it goes...
turns out that it's the bridge pickup. that's causng the buzzing. i've tried raising the strings & it reduced by about 30%
Last edited by paulefty at Jun 20, 2007,
i made the action higher & buzzing was abt 75,80%. then i lowered the action it became about 25%. weird.

and still the same: at max bridge vol the buzzing reduces to abt 25%, on vol about 3-8 its about 40% buzz. haha

problem solved? probably.