I'm teaching guitar to kids this summer, and I was wondering what kind of things to teach them. They are almost all beginners at guitar, and they haven't played guitar before. I have to teach them for 1 week and another group for 2 weeks, so i need like 12 days of lesson plans. I already have figured out a few easy songs to teach them, maybe a scale or two... but does anyone know any easy songs to teach beginners?
My Guitars:
One
Two
Quote by The Needles
All the kids in the coffee houses
try to act like they know what loud is
all they know is an electric beat
if you're rockin to this, you'll be rockin with me!
knockin on heavens door, bob dylan with just chords is easy and sounds great
My Music
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
For a second I thought the title said "I swallowed my dick".

my gear:
fender stratocaster american deluxe SSS(s1)
G-DEC 30W amp
custom carrying case
jasmine by takamine acoustic
silvertone acoustic

AMAZING GUITAR SOLO!!!
smells like teen spirit
Quote by AzureNight
Don't worry guys, he's just bitter because he has a small dick.

Quote by Alexander_BR
You know that good feeling when you take a crap, gay sex is like that

Proud member of the Cardboard Mafia. Search "free boxes" for info.
get them hooked on power chords and teach them a green ay song or somthing

if your a descent person and want to see them succeed then get the mon finger exercises and basic chords and see what happens
Quote by yawn
It just occurred to me that UG attracts a lot of socially isolated male teenagers with questionable psychological dispositions.

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Whip and Chains Excite Me!!

Got'em!
you should teach them how to sell rocks. no seriously you should start with finger exercises
you know 1234 going up and down and easy stuff. find out what they like and build off of that
(signature removed, please choose another)
Find an easy song for them to learn so that they will be dead happy they learnt it and want to carry on. If I had a teacher who taught me runs on my first week of playing I'd never have picked up a guitar again.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
ok thanks for the advice guys. i have to keep the stuff really basic because they are at a camp and can only practice guitar when i'm teaching them (1 hour a day). i think im gonna start out with some basic chords then teach them either knockin on heaven's door, or u-mass.. depending on what they like more. the other songs i'll teach them will bud off of the genre they picked for the first song.
My Guitars:
One
Two
Quote by The Needles
All the kids in the coffee houses
try to act like they know what loud is
all they know is an electric beat
if you're rockin to this, you'll be rockin with me!
Teach them how the note system works, so if they wanna ever use sheet music as well as tab, then it's open to them. Teach them come as you are, not smells like teen spirit first, because individual note playing is a heck of alot easier than chords and dead note strikes, get their confidence up.
Quote by Timothy Leary
They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.
i get good results from teaching kids this scale :

E/----------------0-2-3---/
B/--------0-1-3-----------/
G/--0-2------------------/
D/---------------------/
A/---------------------/
E/---------------------/

then find a tv theme or a kids show and transpose it into this scale (sharpen or flatten a note here or there ) and away you go.