Hi, I am thinking of getting one of these. I kind of want a shred guitar,(even though I can't shred...yet) but I love the Les Paul body style. I know its heavy and all, but I am a big guy with huge fingers and hands(seriously, I get comments on the size of my hands). Anyhow, lets say I bought a Epiphone 3 pup Black Beauty. I was thinking of doing these mods to suit my needs....Replacing the middle pup with a single coil pup (dimarzio maybe), and replacing the other 2 with like...Dimarzio evolutions. Then installing a killswitch (think bucketheads LP killswitch). Then I would put .9 gauge strings on it. So my question is, is this possible, and would it be good? or would it sound like crap? P.S. I know its a dumb idea. But I love the idea of original style guitars.
Be cool.
Last edited by thedude051 at Jun 16, 2007,
maybe look better if u got a regular les paul and put a middle pup on that, be a bugger to wire and have to make a hole in the body and probably take longer but wud probably look neater in the end as u wudnt have to fill a gaping big whole where a humbucker used to be after
keep blues alive
Quote by young_is_god
maybe look better if u got a regular les paul and put a middle pup on that, be a bugger to wire and have to make a hole in the body and probably take longer but wud probably look neater in the end as u wudnt have to fill a gaping big whole where a humbucker used to be after

No, I was just thinking of doing leaving the whole with the single coil pup and not filling it in? Or would it be better if I filled it in? I am sort of going for a frankensrat thing here where neatness definitely isn't a top priority.
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
No, I was just thinking of doing leaving the whole with the single coil pup and not filling it in? Or would it be better if I filled it in? I am sort of going for a frankensrat thing here where neatness definitely isn't a top priority.
You should buy a P-94 (Single coil pickup, humbucker size) it would give it a really great sound combined with the humbuckers, and you wouldn't need to have a big gap either
Quote by untitled039
You should buy a P-94 (Single coil pickup, humbucker size) it would give it a really great sound combined with the humbuckers, and you wouldn't need to have a big gap either

Yeah, but I kind of want the DiMarzio evolution pups.
Be cool.
Quote by untitled039

I was going to suggest that too.

It seems a bit pointless to me having a middle pup if you just want to shred. When I'm playing shred stuff I don't use my middle pup, I use the neck or bridge, a single in the middle is more for versatilty if you want to play something twangy.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Les Pauls have a built in killswitch; You just turn the volume all the way down on one of the pickups and flick the selector on and off.
Quote by -heartbreaker-
Les Pauls have a built in killswitch; You just turn the volume all the way down on one of the pickups and flick the selector on and off.

I'm aware of that. But I want a button, like on BucketHead's Les Paul. His LP is sick.
Be cool.