Hey, I'm new to theory, but not to guitar, and I wanted to get something right.

I was looking at some threads in the EG forum, and I came under the impression that soloing over a chord means that you can only play notes that are in that chord.

Like...say I was soloing over an A minor chord, does that mean I can only (in theory) play notes in the A minor chord? Or any notes in the A minor scale?

Hopefully all of you get the jist of what I'm saying. If you have any questions I will try to explain it further.
Quote by jpburns88
any note in the a minor scale would work over an a minor chord.
You mean any note in an A minor scale, right? Obviously you can play more than just one scale over an Amin chord. An A minor chord has the notes A, C, and E, so just about any A scale that has those notes will work. Some will sound better than others though, thats all.
Quote by Say Ocean
Noooo not at all. You don't even have to play the notes in the A minor scale necessarily.

i simply said that any note in an a minor scale would work. i didn't say they were the only ones that would work, but they will work. he could use a dorian, phrygian, chromatic scale. he has tons of options, but chances are if the issue is "what can i play over this chord?" and the chord is a simple minor triad, he probably hasn't gotten to a point where he can start going into more modal territory.

For an A minor chord, you can play an a minor scale. There are others you can play as well, but this is a good starting point.
bee yatch
Quote by rockguitar84
You mean any note in an A minor scale, right? Obviously you can play more than just one scale over an Amin chord. An A minor chord has the notes A, C, and E, so just about any A scale that has those notes will work. Some will sound better than others though, thats all.

sorry for the double post, but i did mean THE a minor scale. there is only one A natural minor scale. There are scales that fit over an A minor chord, but they are not all called A minor scales.
bee yatch
The 1-3-5 notes of the chord build the melody. Well, you could add a 7th, 9th for the feeling, you could add some riff inside you made up. Chords make you feel a lot more free that scales (at least in my case).
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
Quote by felixdcat
The 1-3-5 notes of the chord build the melody. Well, you could add a 7th, 9th for the feeling, you could add some riff inside you made up. Chords make you feel a lot more free that scales (at least in my case).

see and i think this is where the TS got confused, The concept of playing inside the chords.
bee yatch