lately I've noticed that metal has been sounding a little bit... cookie cutter
a lot of bands out there are copying each other with every new record
its beginning to revive the hair metal problem of the 80's
bands seem to be too worried about how many time they'll appear on Headbanger's Ball than how good the quality of their music is
They also have been leaning more towards the hardcore sound whether than making something original
Is it me or are we in a metal dilemma?
The best way to send a message is to not buy their ****. Its starting to take a factory production mentality. Lets see how many bands our record label can put out.

I don't think it's just metal, its the music industry as a whole. Instead of one quality CD, we get 10 CDs with one decent track and an artists who is never heard from ever again.
Last edited by the spiker at Jun 16, 2007,
they write what they want to write. who cares, just buy what you want to buy
As in, gobias a cup of coffee
yea, but perhaps this was meant to be...
there could be a handful of stoners somewhere in Jersey that are on the verge of creating a new metal...a new thrash metal...

...or were all screwed =]
Quote by yawn
It just occurred to me that UG attracts a lot of socially isolated male teenagers with questionable psychological dispositions.

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Whip and Chains Excite Me!!

Got'em!
Quote by panicalittle
lately I've noticed that metal has been sounding a little bit... cookie cutter
a lot of bands out there are copying each other with every new record
its beginning to revive the hair metal problem of the 80's
bands seem to be too worried about how many time they'll appear on Headbanger's Ball than how good the quality of their music is
They also have been leaning more towards the hardcore sound whether than making something original

I don't know what you listen to, but it seems you don't listen to much metal besides the "mainstream" metal stuff. Start checking out some bands that are talked about here, and you'll get to know tons of great music.
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
Morsch sind Baum und Pfad
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
mir ist kalt...
Umm... Maybe it's just me, but I haven't noticed it at all.

A majority of the bands in the "true" metal scene aren't like that all.

Is this another case of metalcore not being considered metal until it's destroying metal?
wait...why is someone with a Nirvana avatar even talking about metal =]
Quote by yawn
It just occurred to me that UG attracts a lot of socially isolated male teenagers with questionable psychological dispositions.

Quote by I'm_Guitarded

Got'em!
Quote by I'm_Guitarded
wait...why is someone with a Nirvana avatar even talking about metal =]

Not limiting your tastes to one style, perhaps?
Bands like Opeth, Agalloch, Nevermore, Necrophagist, and Blind Guardian to name a few do not sound like they have been factory produced at all. There's plenty of metal that is unique that doesn't lean towards the hardcore sound. This is an incredibly diverse genre we have here. For every band that sounds like another there are many that are unique.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
nirvana never really made sense to me

just sayin, real metal aint sellin out

its those friggen bands wit Xcore at the end of their genres
Quote by yawn

Quote by I'm_Guitarded

Got'em!
Quote by I'm_Guitarded
there could be a handful of stoners somewhere in Jersey that are on the verge of creating a new metal...a new thrash metal...

sigged!
Quote by I'm_Guitarded

Deluxe Ash Strat MIA '96+DynatouchIII Deluxe900
I'm a metalhead, and Nirvana is one of my biggest influences. But there are many excellent bands. Dark Tranquility, Behemoth, Daath; I could go all day with this.
Quote by panicalittle

NO! You just have to search in more places, then just Headbanger's Ball or whatever. There are great bands out there. They are just not exposed to the media as much.
just expand your tastes, if you listen to what's on headbangers ball, you're going to get crappy metal. listen to a broad horizon of metal bands that all sound different, just a few to name that i listen to that are different from eachother are wintersun, opeth, kalmah, dark tranquillity, korpiklaani, cryhavoc, and alot of others, they all have their own sound that are different from eachother and are all really good
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Tha' Get Away Driva' of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

here's what will happen

this is the end of all new music.
the next big trend will be rockabilly
then jangle pop
then pyschedelic
then arena rock
then disco
punk
post punk
hair metal
dance pop
grunge
indie rock
pop punk
emo
and then it starts over again
and again

a cycle
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
Sure there's plenty of sound-alikes in metal, but that's true of just about every genre. There are some great metal bands pushing the boundaries of the genre, as well as some ****ty ones that sound almost exactly like others.
The way I look at it is, there's 4 categories: mainstream-mainstream, obscure-mainstream, mainstream-metal, and obscure-metal. I say mainstream-mainstream is up to no good. Obscure-mainstream has some good stuff. Mainstream-metal can either be good or bad depending on the band. Same with obscure-mainstream. I don't know if that made sense, but coming to topic, you say that the mainstream-metal is getting too shabby, but if you look for the right bands within mainstream-metal or obscure-metal, you'll find exactly what you're looking for. It all starts with expanding your tastes and music library. Be more accepting.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie