i was playing a mesa express 5:50 today, and it wasnt bad. i also got back my valveking with new groove tubes in it. When trying the mesa, I managed to turn it up to about a third of its full power while running at 5 watts, and compared with it turned up about a tenth of the way up, though it was louder, it lost alot of it's distorsions softness, the highs became brittler sounding and the whole thing started sounding sharper. I've noticed a similar thing with my valveking. My question is, why is it considered as you crank valve amps their sound improves ?
Could it be todo with volume, and that the extra volume screws with how i percieve the sound ?
that happens to me sometimes. on my amp (fender hot rod deluxe) if you crank (to like 5 it the overdrive sound changes and gets much harsher. though that may happen with solid state as well, idk.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

member number five of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

creator/owner of the yankees fans group
I'm not amp scientist or anything, but tube amps sound better when you crank up the volume. I assume it's cause more power is coming from the preamp or whatever and thus more power is coming out of the power amp into the speaker.

Thats probably the most technical description of an amp you will ever hear in your life, because I'm that amazing. I have to go back to my job at NASA now, bye.
^

awesome.

it depends on the tubes. 6L6 can sound quite "hard-edged" when cranked. But they normally fatten up a lot too...

I dunno. I know i like tube amps "cranked"...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The reason people say tube amps sound better cranked is because with the volume the amp starts to clip very smoothly and everyone likes the extra gain and smooth overdrive.

But someone like Mr. Mouse my dislike the extra gain, thats the reason for headroom.
Don't forget that when you crank something you can hear the mids and treble with alot more clarity. Our ears have trouble distinguishing them at low volumes.

The reason valve amps sound great cranked is that the distortion is smooth and organic.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Don't forget that when you crank something you can hear the mids and treble with alot more clarity. Our ears have trouble distinguishing them at low volumes.

The reason valve amps sound great cranked is that the distortion is smooth and organic.

Quote by Chinomaster182
The reason people say tube amps sound better cranked is because with the volume the amp starts to clip very smoothly and everyone likes the extra gain and smooth overdrive.

But someone like Mr. Mouse my dislike the extra gain, thats the reason for headroom.

+1.

Reason why I love tube amps.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Chinomaster182

do you mean mr moustache? (me)

if so, im not saying i dont like it. im just saying the overdrive gets harsher.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

member number five of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

creator/owner of the yankees fans group
So the 5:50 has a built-in attenuator? That's your problem right there. Attenuators rarely keep the sound exactly the same at low volumes. Though I don't know how it would cause harsh clipping....

/rambling
The sine wave that is produced to make make the sound clips smoothly at a nicer curve as it gets louder. The amplitude also increases while the crests and troughs smooth out rather than having a flat top, therefore being harsher and less "musical".
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by Chinomaster182
The reason people say tube amps sound better cranked is because with the volume the power tubes begin to saturate very smoothly and everyone likes the extra gain and smooth overdrive.

fixed. There's a difference between clipping and saturating...
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
i see. yes i get the theory of why they should sound better. but i still find myself settling for a lower volume where the distorsion seems smoother. maybe its an eq'ing thing. as i raise the volume should the amps frequency response change ?
Quote by which ones pink
So the 5:50 has a built-in attenuator? That's your problem right there. Attenuators rarely keep the sound exactly the same at low volumes. Though I don't know how it would cause harsh clipping....

/rambling

Attenuators THD hot plate!