Ok. I saw the tab for Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day and the intro is what Im working at. The tab is this:

{e| |----------------|----------------|----------------|---------------------|
{B| |----3-----3-----|----3-----3-----|----3-----3-----|----3-----3-----|
{G| |--0-----0-------|--0-----0-------|--0-----0-------|--0-----0-------|
{D| |5-----5---------|5-----5---------|5-----5---------|5-----5---------|
{A| |----------------|----------------|----------------|---------------------|
{E| |----------------|----------------|----------------|---------------------|

{e| |-----------------|------------------|-----------------|-----------------|
{D| |5-----5---------|4-----4---------|2-----2---------|0-----0---------|
{A| |-----------------|------------------|-----------------|-----------------|
{E| |-----------------|------------------|-----------------|-----------------|

Im having trouble with getting the right fingering. I think Im fingering the notes completely wrong to begin with. I have my pointer finger on B3 and my ring finger on D5 and D4. But from that position its immpossible to get to D2 without moving my pointer because the notes have to ring. Help please? Thanks.

-
Use all of your fingers.... use your ring to fret the D or "3B" and use outstretched pinky to catch the "4D" or F#, and use your index to get the "2D" or E note. To sound the "5D" you can make it a whole lot easier if you just sound the open G which is the equivalent to the "5D".
Quote by Timothy Leary
They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.
..... you put your third finger on 5th fret, hit the open G string and put your first finger on the the 3rd fret.
Ok thanks. I think Im gunna have to stretch my fingers a lot. I got tiny hands. Oh and how do you know where to place your fingers? Isnt it like you never use your 1st finger past the first two frets or sometihng. Thanks.
Quote by AlchoholicA
..... you put your third finger on 5th fret, hit the open G string and put your first finger on the the 3rd fret.

Yeah but then its impossible to get a finger to the second fret. You need your pointer for that. And you cant let go because the notes have to ring.
Your hand is covering a spread of 4 frets... Assign each finger a fret... Index 2nd fret, Middle 3rd fret, ring 4th fret, pinky 5th fret.
Quote by guitar nooblet
Ok thanks. I think Im gunna have to stretch my fingers a lot. I got tiny hands. Oh and how do you know where to place your fingers? Isnt it like you never use your 1st finger past the first two frets or sometihng. Thanks.

Um no.... you can use any finger you want anywhere
Quote by Timothy Leary
They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.
middle fingrrrrrrr

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

{e| |----------------|----------------|----------------|---------------------|
{D| |5-----5---------|5-----5---------|5-----5---------|5-----5---------|
{A| |----------------|----------------|----------------|---------------------|
{E| |----------------|----------------|----------------|---------------------|

Hey im new so not too good at explaining but say this was you hand-> - little finger
- 3rd
- 2nd
- first finger
-thum
start 503 with 1st finger on B3 and 3rd finger on D5, then on 403 swap 3rd finger on D5 for 2nd finger on D4. Then move 1st finger to D2 and move 3rd finger to B3. and the just life up first finger to leave the 3rd finger on B3. thats easier for me, im a teen so i ahve small hands. but it may be different for you.
(soz if someone else said the same thing)
Abz