bigballin
65 IQ
if you were in a band with a bunch of close friends for over a year and the guitarist decides he is bored of the band and starts a new one but still plays in yours? Would want to kick him out, or would it not bother u? The reason for the new band would be because he wanted to play a different style of music.
nicodimus
81 IQ
as long as it doesn't stop him coming to the band practices, i don't see a problem with it. tons of musicians out there are in several bands for that reason
That's what she said
rhcpfan27
guitar is my life
554 IQ
it might bother me a little bit but i wouldn't kick him out of the band or anything
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
fee-oh-nix
Banned
10 IQ
Nothing wrong with that. Trying to control someone else is the quickest way to f*ck everything up. He's gonna do what he's gonna do anyway - let him get that stuff out at the other band so it doesn't start affecting yours.
okinky
27 IQ
the whole band mentality is overrated. you should all try to jam with as many people as possible, dont loophole yourself into a single style. your friend has the right idea and you shouldnt kick him out haha
Zoso68
800 IQ
actually im about to do the exact same thing rite now with my band...i wouldnt sweat it
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
Alex The Red
UG's Own Prog. Rocker
528 IQ
It's acceptable as long as he doesn't skip practice.

You guys are close friends right? Close friends don't typically ditch close friends.

It does get boring after a while with just 1 genre. Especially when most musicians can only play 1 genre well.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
bigballin
65 IQ
lol oops i said it like it was someone else its actually me thats thinkin about doing that

how do u go about finding capable new bandmates?
hurlyz
My name is Karim
1,753 IQ
Quote by bigballin
The reason for the new band would be because he wanted to play a different style of music.
That's a good reason... if he wants to play both kinda of music, it's understandable!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
mr moustache
Band
129 IQ
yeh..its fine. i mean your gonna get bored of just metal. or just blues or just funk after a while. let him do what he wants.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

member number five of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

creator/owner of the yankees fans group
TontoGoneCrazy
144 IQ
Yeah, as long as he still loves both bands equally, as soon as one becomes more of a priority then you have a problem. Unless one is getting much bigger and another, which he might leave anyway, which is okay because the other isn't going anywhere.
Natural Blonde w/ Black pickguard Squier Affinity Telecaster
Epiphone Slingshot 25R Amplifier
Dunlop Tortex .5mm Picks - Red
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Danelectro Fab Chrous Pedal
Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah Pedal
fee-oh-nix
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by mr moustache
yeh..its fine. i mean your gonna get bored of just metal. or just blues or just funk after a while. let him do what he wants.

Amen to that. I'm sick of speed metal. After a couple years of speed/thrash, it's boring as all hell to play.
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
936 IQ
^ lol, i've been playing metal of every genre for about 12 years now, maybe your passion lies elsewhere? but to the threadstarter:

don't kick him out, a real musician will want to explore different musical avenues. if he still wants to play in your band, let him, accept that he wants to do different types of music and embrace that. it's the reason i just about refuse to join a band, everybody wants to just do 1 kind of music and i'd rather do whatever feels natural and sounds good that i enjoy.