Well it depends which note is tupleted. Eg 5 quarter note quintuplets = 1 half note.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
For quintuplets, I don't think it matters how you split it up. Three triplets and then two sixteenths, or the other way around. Sextuplets are to triplets as sixteenth notes are to eigthth notes.
* Nobody likes WootSticks
I Think this is right, but if you have triplets of quarter notes, you can fit 6 of them into a bar? So you take 4(how many you can normally fit) then divide that by 2 and add that to the total, making six.

This also works with 16th notes, where you can fit 24 16th triplets in a bar, which 16+8=24.
This is very basic, why don't you get at liest a photocopy of some basic music theory book?
I will try to explain this simply.

A tuplet is defined as a number of notes played in one beat (for example, triplet eights = three eight notes per 1 quarter note). The tuplets note value is always one step shorter than the beats note value.

The aspect ratio is always the same.(64-32, 32-16, 16-8, 8-4, 4-2, 2-1)

If a tuplet is in sixteenth notes, the beat value is an EIGHT NOTE. (16-8)

So even if the tuplet is 13 notes per beat(tetradecaplet...i think) 16th notes, it will ocupy only ONE EIGHT NOTE of the space.

In some Karl Cherny preludes and etudes, you can even find nonadecaplet(19 notes per beat)sixteenth notes...but still they ocupy only ONE EIGHT NOTE, get it?

I hope this is understandable, if not, just get a basic music theory book, and that will be explained. And you will then understand this.
Cheerz
I am Žile, I'm from Serbia, and I like guitars... and beans of course...never underestimate well cooked beans!

Join Alternate tunings
TUNED OUT
Last edited by zhille at Jun 17, 2007,
Quote by zhille

The aspect ratio is always the same.(32-16, 16-8, 8-4, 4-1)

4-2?
Quote by quinny1089
4-2?

Yes, it was a typo, 4-2

and 2-1.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Yup...I corrected the 4-1 typo and added a 64-32 aspect, even though you wont run into 64's a lot (except of course in Paganini's and Bach's violin works )

I am glad this helped. I am entirely self-thought and I try to explain in simple language. I was serious about books on theory, I bought books from Berklee just a few weeks ago. And I have books from music high-school even though I went to art school It really helps when you know what you are playing.

Of course sometimes I make a complete ass of myself We all do
I am Žile, I'm from Serbia, and I like guitars... and beans of course...never underestimate well cooked beans!

Join Alternate tunings
TUNED OUT